New CFL Team ? Saskatoon Stallions

M.O.A.B.

The prospective owners already have a "Name The Team" contest planned for its fans, however sources say the name "Saskatoon Stallions" is favoured.

And get this: the General Manager of the team will be longtime U of S Huskies coach Brian Towriss and the Head Coach will be Gary Etcheverry.

http://www.rodpedersen.com/2017/04/breaking-news-cfl-to-saskatoon.html?spref=tw

Edited by M.O.A.B.

I think it would be too late (if ever approved) for the CFL to change the schedule and layout the expansion draft. 

Not a bad idea though. 

And if ever, it will push the Bombers to the East Division.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

On 4/1/2017 at 10:18 AM, Noeller said:

I hate April 1 so much...

I would like this 1000 times if that was an option...

seriously though, I've always thought Saskatoon would be a great market for another CFL team... problem is they're all Rider fans already...

3 hours ago, bearpants said:

I would like this 1000 times if that was an option...

seriously though, I've always thought Saskatoon would be a great market for another CFL team... problem is they're all Rider fans already...

You don't have to insult the good folks of Saskatoon.

On 4/5/2017 at 2:39 PM, Nolby said:

I know it was a joke but even so, putting another football team in Saskatchewan would be like putting another nhl team around Toronto,it'd never work.

But at least Toronto has the market to support 2 teams.

This would be more like putting an NFL team in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, just because the Packers are beloved in the cheese belt. 

15 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Well that's the reason Pederson loves his April fools so terribly much - it falls into the (false) narrative the Saskatchewan has the best football fans in Canada.  Of course they could support two teams...

33 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I disagree ... right now they barely have the "market" to support one team....  but they have the "population" to support 5 teams ... Toronto has to develop a niche clientelle at competitive entertainment value ... we have an exciting product to deliver right now but the prospects have to be educated on how much fun it really is .... that will take wisdom, skill  and time and if so it can become a booming "market" (fanbase)

By contrast Sask can sustain two teams .... the fans would probably cross buy each other's city .... it would be like having season tickets with twenty games instead of ten .... the entertainment dollar is easily there to do that ... it has no real sports entertainment competition .... and not that much from the music industry either .... in Winnipeg and most cfl cities you have hockey draining entertainment dollars .... not so in Sask and in fact increeased pro football will probably accelerate not diminish ticket sales ... it will be THE  thing to do in that province

4 hours ago, BigBlue said:

I disagree ... right now they barely have the "market" to support one team....  but they have the "population" to support 5 teams ... Toronto has to develop a niche clientelle at competitive entertainment value ... we have an exciting product to deliver right now but the prospects have to be educated on how much fun it really is .... that will take wisdom, skill  and time and if so it can become a booming "market" (fanbase)

By contrast Sask can sustain two teams .... the fans would probably cross buy each other's city .... it would be like having season tickets with twenty games instead of ten .... the entertainment dollar is easily there to do that ... it has no real sports entertainment competition .... and not that much from the music industry either .... in Winnipeg and most cfl cities you have hockey draining entertainment dollars .... not so in Sask and in fact increeased pro football will probably accelerate not diminish ticket sales ... it will be THE  thing to do in that province

I think Jimmy Pop meant Toronto has the market to support 2 NHL teams...

15 hours ago, BigBlue said:

I'm sure the Riders would love having their sponsorship dollars drastically reduced.

It could work but it wouldn't. You're not going to get enough buy-in for the new team. You're not going to get people buying two sets of season tickets, the same way you don't get a mass of people buying season tickets to TiCats and Argos.

Over time, you may get a Saskatoon vs Regina thing happening but the Riders will always be the province's team.

6 hours ago, JCon said:

I'm sure the Riders would love having their sponsorship dollars drastically reduced.

It could work but it wouldn't. You're not going to get enough buy-in for the new team. You're not going to get people buying two sets of season tickets, the same way you don't get a mass of people buying season tickets to TiCats and Argos.

Over time, you may get a Saskatoon vs Regina thing happening but the Riders will always be the province's team.

Not even in our grandchildrens' lifetimes.

I know it'll never happen but I'd love to see a team in Saskatoon just to see the meltdown over divided loyalties.  

They could name the team Rough Riders to really make it interesting  (plus it's been too long since the CFL had two teams with that name).