Steinburg: "All Eyes on Winnipeg"

When was the last time you read stuff like this about the Bombers:

The most intriguing team for me this off-season is the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. After orchestrating a resurgent season in 2016, the Bombers were going to be an interesting group this winter regardless. Their acquisition of the number one overall pick late last season, though, cranked the interest level in them up a notch.

Winnipeg is moving in a really nice direction, so it’s not like the future of their team depends on who they select at number one.

To refresh, we’re choosing one player at each position with one specific piece of criteria: we’re identifying players with the goal to win a Grey Cup immediately in mind.

Defensive back – T.J. Heath, Winnipeg Blue Bombers

This was an extremely difficult decision to make. In fact, choosing the best defensive back on the Bombers had me banging my head on the keyboard in trying to make this choice. Heath’s teammates Maurice Leggett, Kevin Fogg, and Taylor Loffler were all considered, as were Tommie Campbell and Jamar Wall of the Stampeders, among a few others.

But I went with Heath because I just love how dynamic he is. In his first CFL season, Heath finished tied for the league lead with seven interceptions and did so on a pair of teams. If you can believe it, the Bombers acquired Heath and the first overall pick in their Drew Willy deal with Toronto. That’s a pretty impressive return.

Heath was considered the heart of the Toronto defensive backfield before the trade and the team was visibly shaken by his departure. That tells you lots right there, and when you factor in how well he fit with his new team immediately, I’m even more convinced of his importance.

Heath’s ball skills are among the best at his position across the league and his ability to break on a pass is what I love most about him. He reads the quarterback well, has effective range, and has explosive speed once into his break. I’m fascinated to watch Heath in a full season with the Bombers, because that backfield looks terrifyingly good heading into 2017.

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/04/03/steinbergs-mmqb-eyes-winnipeg/