2018 Pyeongchang - Winter Olympics

JCon

17 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Hey, the World Cup was awesome when it was called the Canada Cup and the year was 1984 or 1987.

That was because in the 1980's the Russians were still the evil scumbag communists, not the benevolent world-loving friendly types they are now. :)

But seriously, back in those days Russkies weren't allowed in the NHL, so we only got to play them in the World Cup (the Olympics was a joke because we had to send amateurs instead of our best, while Russia always got to send their best).  The World Cup was a novelty.  Now we get to see Russians play everyday in the NHL, not so much of a big deal.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

They were saying on the morning show today that even players who don't go to the Olympics enjoy the break because it gives them a rare opportunity for a mid winter vacation with the family. 

I also think this is short sided by the NHL. 

They've exhausted the North America market for growth.  

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

They were saying on the morning show today that even players who don't go to the Olympics enjoy the break because it gives them a rare opportunity for a mid winter vacation with the family. 

I also think this is short sided by the NHL. 

They've exhausted the North America market for growth.  

I'd say they've over-extended the North American market.  Florida, Phoenix, Carolina - time to contract.

Players could have gone.  Could have accepted the owners offer to go in exchange for extending the CBA.  What is it they intend to get from a prolonged CBA fight anyway?  So you're going to sign a new CBA...but now you lost the Olympics.  The PA didnt even try to negotiate.  The PA always thinks they have leverage when they dont.  You're the employees.  Your leverage only extends so far.

If the PA goes to the league now with an offer, Im sure the NHL listens.  But I agree the owners should get something.  And yes, they get "growth" but its Korea.  They want to be in China. They dont see the benefit to South Korea as much.  There is benefit but shutting down for three weeks in February, the wear & tear on your best players, risk of injury etc... owners are right to expect a concession from the players.

And talk of players going anyway, I think, is silly.  They have contracts.  They arent going.  And the IIHF wont take them and risk a war with the NHL.

26 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Players could have gone.  Could have accepted the owners offer to go in exchange for extending the CBA.  What is it they intend to get from a prolonged CBA fight anyway?  So you're going to sign a new CBA...but now you lost the Olympics.  The PA didnt even try to negotiate.  The PA always thinks they have leverage when they dont.  You're the employees.  Your leverage only extends so far.

If the PA goes to the league now with an offer, Im sure the NHL listens.  But I agree the owners should get something.  And yes, they get "growth" but its Korea.  They want to be in China. They dont see the benefit to South Korea as much.  There is benefit but shutting down for three weeks in February, the wear & tear on your best players, risk of injury etc... owners are right to expect a concession from the players.

And talk of players going anyway, I think, is silly.  They have contracts.  They arent going.  And the IIHF wont take them and risk a war with the NHL.

100%, the Euros (Russians, especially) will go. THey don't give two shits about the NHL! Ovechkin is absolutely going, and his owner has already said he supports him completely...

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

100%, the Euros (Russians, especially) will go. THey don't give two shits about the NHL! Ovechkin is absolutely going, and his owner has already said he supports him completely...

He can go and watch and then not play NHL hockey again.  He might enjoy the idea of finishing his career in Russia but I tend to doubt it.  Plus, doesnt the KHL honor NHL contracts now?

I also dont buy his owner's support.  He's playing the nice guy.  Will his owner be willing to concede all the games they should play during that time so Ovechkin can go play?  I doubt it.

Ovechkin just said he thinks the NHL is bluffing.  Maybe the players should stop with the public BS and tell their PA leadership to negotiate a deal.  Players rip on the owners but arent willing to concede anything to go.  But when its time for their CBA mandated day off, the players sure want it.  Why should the owners give up three weeks to the players for nothing?

If Im players like Ovi and Sid etc I go to Fehr and tell him to stop dicking around.

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Players won't risk losing their guaranteed contracts. IIHF probably won't let them go anyway 

Thats exactly what would happen.  The IIHF would not invite them.  Then owners are off the hook and players can sulk all they want to.  Then they can vow to hold out CBA until they get concessions...talk about the brotherhood and unity...fold after two months, go back to work and try to maim each other.

When the Olympics happen in Feb, usually the Jets are still in the running for the playoffs.  Any one of Schiefs/Ehlers/Laine goes down, that hurts our playoff chances pretty big.  I know we probably wouldn't make it even with all of them healthy, but them getting hurt in the Olympics would be catastrophic.  If the Olympics were in April, not so much.

The Olympics will happen right before the RUS presidential election. Putin is facing civil unrest at home. He will demand gold. Ovi is going

For Putin, an Olympic gold will clinch another presidential term, despite widespread protests. Ovi, a loyal party man, will do his part.

Edited by Noeller

23 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I prefer the Winter Olympics over the summer games.

I just find that the variety of events is quite limited.  I'm not interested in skiing or figure skating, and let's be honest, having curling in the Olympics... might as well have chess or lawn darts.

Ski jumping, luge/bobsleigh, and hockey are quality events but now with hockey being watered down, we're barely left with anything.  Speed skating, I suppose, is also entertaining.

Compared with summer where you have the multitude of track and field events, rowing, cycling, gymnastics, diving, swimming, etc.  The entertainment value and quality of competition is just so much higher.

24 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I just find that the variety of events is quite limited.  I'm not interested in skiing or figure skating, and let's be honest, having curling in the Olympics... might as well have chess or lawn darts.

Ski jumping, luge/bobsleigh, and hockey are quality events but now with hockey being watered down, we're barely left with anything.  Speed skating, I suppose, is also entertaining.

Compared with summer where you have the multitude of track and field events, rowing, cycling, gymnastics, diving, swimming, etc.  The entertainment value and quality of competition is just so much higher.

Report to Emerson border patrol at 5pm today.  You'll be expected to turn in your Canadian passport upon arrival.

4 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

You can make the argument that it's just as much the players who aren't interested in making anything happen.  Sure, they're all talking a good game.  What concessions are you willing to make to go to the Games?  

Bettman represents the owners.  All season long he's been asking the PA for something to take to the owners to compensate for the season break.  We can go to the games if you extend the CBA for 5 years - that kind of thing.  I get why the players would scoff at that, I probably would too.  But I get where the owners are coming from.  You're taking their assets, suspending league operations and creating another season scheduling nightmare - and for what?  I've still yet to hear any tangible benefit to the National Hockey League beyond the idea that the best athletes should be at the Olympics, period. 

So to me, taking the players side simply because they all say they want to go, and they are on the fans side and all that jargon is just shortsighted.  Both sides, and throw in the IOC and IIHF too, have all been playing around with this and getting no where.  Players just look better because they're on same side as fans. 

The players have bent over and taken it from the owners in the past 2 CBA negotiations, at this point it's just Bettman looking for another round of bending them over a barrel and showing them the 50 states. Everyone except the NHL owners wants NHL players in the olympics. Fans want it, players want it, IIHF wants it, IOC wants it, and yeah they're all self serving rich assholes but the owners are the worst of the bunch in this situation. Do something for the fans for a change, try and grow the game globally. You have a chance to get all eyes on the game of hockey and they're not doing it cause why? They are short sighted and can't bear to tinker with their own schedule. 

43 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The Olympics will happen right before the RUS presidential election. Putin is facing civil unrest at home. He will demand gold. Ovi is going

For Putin, an Olympic gold will clinch another presidential term, despite widespread protests. Ovi, a loyal party man, will do his part.

I love Slava. He's hilarious and one of the best follows on Twitter.

Let's not forget, this is how Bettman negotiates. He locks out, cancels half or all a season, then starts negotiating.

He's probably still in his lockout phase. He may still come around.

He'll probably be calling the IIHF before the month is over.

2 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Congrats Ovi... you'll finally get a championship.... against inferior opponents...

I don't know, all the top pro leagues, with the exception of the NHL, are going. There may be some European teams that can challenge the Russians.