Bombers Release Financial Report Ahead Of Fan Open House

Jpan85

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:
Bartley KivesVerified account @bkives  5m5 minutes ago
Wpg Football Club posted $2.8M profit on football ops in 2017. But $4.5M stadium loan payment led club to withdraw $1.7M fr reserves. #cbcmb

This is what I was wondering when I read that article.    Good that we made a profit.  Not good that we didn't make enough to cover the mortgage payment

Time for the Bombers to eliminate the transit subsidy, fans now know where the buses are and how to use them.  Now it's time for them to pay to use them.

"The WFC continues to incur significant costs, especially compared to other clubs in the League, for game day transportation to and from the stadium that results from charges imposed by Winnipeg Transit and other third party providers. The Club continues to work with the stakeholders of the Integrated Transportation Plan Agreement to address this ongoing cost burden."

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

5 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Time for the Bombers to eliminate the transit subsidy, fans now know where the buses are and how to use them.  Now it's time for them to pay to use them.

"The WFC continues to incur significant costs, especially compared to other clubs in the League, for game day transportation to and from the stadium that results from charges imposed by Winnipeg Transit and other third party providers. The Club continues to work with the stakeholders of the Integrated Transportation Plan Agreement to address this ongoing cost burden."

Yes, this will surely increase fan attendance

6 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Time for the Bombers to eliminate the transit subsidy, fans know where the buses are and how to use them.  Now it's time for them to pay to use them.

$5 for round trip park & ride - http://www.bluebombers.com/park-and-ride/

Regular transit fares for transit buses - http://www.bluebombers.com/regular-transit-routes/

I wonder how much that $5 would have to go up so that they aren't subsidising the busses.  

Need to find that balance of how much people will pay vs. the inconvenience / cost of just deciding to not go to a game.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

$5 for round trip park & ride - http://www.bluebombers.com/park-and-ride/

Regular transit fares for transit buses - http://www.bluebombers.com/regular-transit-routes/

I wonder how much that $5 would have to go up so that they aren't subsidising the busses.  

Need to find that balance of how much people will pay vs. the inconvenience / cost of just deciding to not go to a game.

Sorry, I thought it was still free.

Its still not overly truthful.  I get it but... I dont celebrate my windfall every paycheque without considering my mortgage payment. 

So $5 for Park and Ride per person doesnt cover the cost of transit??  Thats more than actual transit, isnt it?

What are the Bombers subsidizing?  What expenses are there above what the $5 covers? 

If they are covering costs for increased "regular" transit services, I dont think they should.  Fans should pay.  If I go to a concert at the arena and I bus, I pay.  Transit routinely alerts their services for spikes in riders, do they not?  They should provide the level of service required and charge for it. 

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Its still not overly truthful.  I get it but... I dont celebrate my windfall every paycheque without considering my mortgage payment. 

So $5 for Park and Ride per person doesnt cover the cost of transit??  Thats more than actual transit, isnt it?

What are the Bombers subsidizing?  What expenses are there above what the $5 covers? 

If they are covering costs for increased "regular" transit services, I dont think they should.  Fans should pay.  If I go to a concert at the arena and I bus, I pay.  Transit routinely alerts their services for spikes in riders, do they not?  They should provide the level of service required and charge for it. 

I think it's more than $5 on Transit. $2.65 each way?

You can't move that many people on the regular Transit in that time frame. Transit itself of subsidized. So when you're paying to get to the another event, the subsidy is built in.

Edited by JCon

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The $5 is for the school bus park and rides. 

First I don't think even transit fares cover the full cost of transit. 

Second they have a bunch of school buses shuttle in a bunch of people.  Sit around for 3 - 4 hours (not generating any fare revenue but you still pay salaries and time of use for the buses).  Then they shuttle people home. 

Lastly it isn't more than transit. It's $5 there and back.  Two bus rides. 

When there is a special event in the city that requires extra busses/drivers etc, does Transit raise the rate?  Do they simply run their regular service level and to heck with the people?  Legit wondering.  Because is it not the responsibility of transit to provide the service to the levels required?  Let people pay the regular rate.  Its easier now with the cards too.  Bombers could even sell Bombers branded transit cards.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

When there is a special event in the city that requires extra busses/drivers etc, does Transit raise the rate?  Do they simply run their regular service level and to heck with the people?  Legit wondering.  Because is it not the responsibility of transit to provide the service to the levels required?  Let people pay the regular rate.  Its easier now with the cards too.  Bombers could even sell Bombers branded transit cards.

There are no events that need to move that many people, in that timeframe, at late hours, that I can think of. I don't think there's anything comparable.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

The $5 is for the school bus park and rides. 

First I don't think even transit fares cover the full cost of transit. 

Second they have a bunch of school buses shuttle in a bunch of people.  Sit around for 3 - 4 hours (not generating any fare revenue but you still pay salaries and time of use for the buses).  Then they shuttle people home. 

Lastly it isn't more than transit. It's $5 there and back.  Two bus rides. 

Okay, so Transit fare is $2.70.  $5.40 both ways.  Charge $5.40.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Transit / city stopped helping out in 2014. 

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/manitoba/bombers-fans-to-pay-bus-fare-to-stadium-but-rides-back-are-free-1.2666040

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Okay, so Transit fare is $2.70.  $5.40 both ways.  Charge $5.40.

This is just silly.... a regular bus also ships people to places that aren't the Bomber game and continues to operate normally before, during and after a game, with drivers who are already getting paid their normal salary.  Very different from a bus (w/ driver) specifically hired to make two trips to and from a single location.

Just now, JCon said:

There are no events that need to move that many people, in that timeframe, at late hours, that I can think of. I don't think there's anything comparable.

Im sort of playing devil's advocate a but Im not sure how its the Bombers' responsibility to help pay the costs of transit.  If there was no increased transit service for the games, people would complain.  That's a Transit (and City) issue, not a Bombers issue.  Does True North pay to have extra buses available after Jets and concerts?  I know its not as many, but Im curious as to whether its the norm for the business running the event to pay for increased transit costs.

And I thought MPIC came on as a "sponsor" to pay this subsidy which is in essence another taxpayer payment anyway since MPIC shouldnt be sponsoring these things.