Bombers Release Financial Report Ahead Of Fan Open House

Jpan85

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Do you get a live sporting event at a normal fast food restaurant? That's a really bad example....

It's a great example,    for myself usually I take my dad and we go to George's on Regent and feast on a massive meal at half the price and then head off to the game.   I'd be more inclined to eat at the game if the prices were more reasonable.  

For the both of us to take a cab directly to and from the game,  I'd imagine the cost would be well over $50 dollars.    So for us to spend even $20 dollars for the two of us using the park and ride.... to be driven right to the front gate directly and then picked up at the same spot and driven back to the park and ride.  To me that's great value.      I'm not familiar with the price of parking my car the stadium,  but I'd imagine that with the gas and headaches of trying to slowly get in and out ... It wouldn't be worth me saving a few bucks.

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Concessions are optional, transportation is not.

If they remove the park and ride completely then how would you get to the game?    The park and ride is completely optional. 

Do the Jets have a park and ride?  How does everyone get to those games?

Can those folks afford the pricier parking options downtown?

Edited by Brandon

As long as concessions are on par with every other stadium in the league, I'm totally fine with whatever they charge. It's a totally different scenario at "events". For us, when we're going to a Bombers game, we're at Barley Bros EVERY time for a proper beer and a quick bite, then walk over to the game (they let you park for free there). So, I don't necessarily eat or drink at the game, but I completely understand the WBB FC charging the same as everyone else...

Just now, Noeller said:

As long as concessions are on par with every other stadium in the league, I'm totally fine with whatever they charge. It's a totally different scenario at "events". For us, when we're going to a Bombers game, we're at Barley Bros EVERY time for a proper beer and a quick bite, then walk over to the game (they let you park for free there). So, I don't necessarily eat or drink at the game, but I completely understand the WBB FC charging the same as everyone else...

My main point was that if affordability was the main goal for the Bombers then why not cut prices of concessions to attract even more customers.   

If Park and Ride at $5 dollars is not covering cost then they should raise the price so that the team doesn't lose money.  

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

If they remove the park and ride completely then how would you get to the game?    The park and ride is completely optional. 

Park and ride is optional but transportation to the game is not.  If you remove park and ride you remove the most cost-effective option.  If you increase the price, then people will have no choice but to pay more.

The answer to the next two questions are that Jets games are not affordable for families so that's irrelevant.  We're not talking about an extra 5 dollars impacting Joe Businessman or Billy the Drunk, we're talking about an extra 5 dollars per person for blue-collar Danny to take his whole family.

21 minutes ago, Brandon said:

My main point was that if affordability was the main goal for the Bombers then why not cut prices of concessions to attract even more customers.   

If Park and Ride at $5 dollars is not covering cost then they should raise the price so that the team doesn't lose money.  

I don't think cheaper concession prices attract more people.  It may affect who eats at the stadium but I've never heard anyone say I'm not going because beer is too expensive.  I have head people say I'm not buying beer because it is too expensive. 

Transportation is mandatory to get people to buy a ticket. 

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The infrastructure to get in and out of downtown is very different. It's the centre of the city and, daily, hosts far, far more people. Transit is designed around getting into and out of downtown.

The university also has significant infrastructure but nowhere near the scale of downtown. Transit goes in and out of the same place, following the same path for long stretches.

Plus, the number of people you're moving during a Jets game versus a Bomber game is far different.

Just now, Atomic said:

Park and ride is optional but transportation to the game is not.  If you remove park and ride you remove the most cost-effective option.  If you increase the price, then people will have no choice but to pay more.

The answer to the next two questions are that Jets games are not affordable for families so that's irrelevant.  We're not talking about an extra 5 dollars impacting Joe Businessman or Billy the Drunk, we're talking about an extra 5 dollars per person for blue-collar Danny to take his whole family.

Wouldn't taking public transport followed by walking be the most cost effective option?  That's how nearly every other city handles sporting events?

How do these blue collar Danny attend Jets games which cost a whole lot more to attend?

I would not classify Winnipeg as a city full of people barely being able to afford to go to a Bomber game.   If money were so tight you wouldn't see beer snakes and a whole lot of merch flying off the shelf.   We are not that poor in the Peg. 

7 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Wouldn't taking public transport followed by walking be the most cost effective option?  That's how nearly every other city handles sporting events?

How do these blue collar Danny attend Jets games which cost a whole lot more to attend?

I would not classify Winnipeg as a city full of people barely being able to afford to go to a Bomber game.   If money were so tight you wouldn't see beer snakes and a whole lot of merch flying off the shelf.   We are not that poor in the Peg. 

Walking.  To IGF.  Yes, wonderful solution for what, 2% of people in the city?

Blue collar Danny doesn't take his family to Jets games.  That's the whole point.  The Bombers want that market.

Your last point... I don't know, if you don't think there are people in Winnipeg just scraping by, then that's your illusion, I won't ruin it for you.

TIL Park & Riders exist year-round and run daily.  I had thought they were just for Bomber games.

I can't believe people would think P&R's are not essential to the team and stadium.  It's not 1950.  Rightly or wrongly, people want convenience.  And when your choices are take 3 different buses to get to UofM or watch it on TV - what do you think most Wpg would choose?

And to the comment about how all other cities handle transport to and from the stadium - how many other cities our size have a comparatively awful public transit system?

P&R are my primary mode to get to games, and I'd surely be willing to pay 10 instead of 5 if that's what was decided.  On the flip side, if I had less to pay, but had to navigate normal bus routes & times - I'd probably give up my seats.

4 hours ago, Rich said:

First I don't think even transit fares cover the full cost of transit.

Not even close to the full cost.

In 2011, " Bus fares account for just under 50 per cent of Transit’s revenues. A city subsidy and provincial subsidy together worth about $43 million last year cover the rest. "

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/Transit-wants-to-hike-bus-fares-in-January-133096148.html

By 2015 those subsidies had increased dramatically:

The Winnipeg Transit monopoly model was created after the Second World War, when the last of the private transit services ceased operations. Since then, buses have operated as a public utility with subsidies that are now north of $80 million annually.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/analysis/Time-to-rethink-tired-transit-model-327463971.html

Every single bus ride in the city is heavily subsidized. Don't know when it started, although I suspect it was when Steve Juba was mayor, but for years the city had a policy of providing a further subsidy to get people in and out of Winnipeg/Canad Inns Stadium. I think that was a good idea.

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes but my point is, if the Bombers didnt pay, what happens?  The city runs regular service?  I think the city and transit would get as many complaints as the Bombers would. 

I like being shuttled around but I'd pay for the service if Im using it.  Fans should pay more for it.

The City ran buses to Polo Park/Canad Inns Stadium for Bomber home games back years ago. Marked 'Stadium" to Canad Inns, my very first Bomber game I saw live  was August of 1969 & I took the bus to that game & for many years after that as well. I used to catch the bus stop just north of the intersection of  Osborne & Jubilee at Balfour Avenue. Mine was the route's very first stop on the way to the stadium. It would continue north to Confusion Corner then makes its way down Corydon westbound picking up fans all through River Heights, Tuxedo & on Kenaston Blvd. If it was an 8 pm game (yes games always started at that time on weeknights & no one complained) then I had to be at my stop at 6:30 pm. I admit I haven't been on  a Winnipeg transit bus since the mid 70's for a game except for the special buses to IGF when I came to Winnipeg now for the odd game. Why not just do that? Or do they still run Stadium buses?? After the game the buses were lined up outside the stadium & I took mine back to the Bay where I got on the Osborne bus to take me back to Riverview. We paid regular fare back then.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 hours ago, Atomic said:

For some context and additional info about transportation services provided:

http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/06/06/2016-transportation-plan-announced/

I'm interested to know the actual $ cost of transit to the Bombers.  Is there a breakdown of operating costs posted somewhere?  In 2013 it was $1.1 million but I imagine that's come way down since it was the first year at IGF.

$805k in 2016.

$827k in 2015.

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

Bad comparison.  There are thousands of parking spots within  a 5-10 minute walk from the MTS Centre and traffic filters out in all directions on several different streets...as opposed to IGF where all traffic filters on to one street and many of the parking lots that charge money are still a good 20-25 walk from the front gates of the stadium. As an aside, I went to two Jet games this year and parked for free on the street for both... only a 5-6 minute walk from City Place. :)

Edited by blueandgoldguy

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

what they don't say is that $2.7 million of that profit came from concession sales during the 3 hour delay in the Hamilton home game...

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

what they don't say is that $2.7 million of that profit came from concession sales during the 3 hour delay in the Hamilton home game...

and the montreal game was postponed with lightning. but yeah that hamilton game was a long one but damn well well worth the wait! best 1 half of football i've seen in a long time 

31 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

and the montreal game was postponed with lightning. but yeah that hamilton game was a long one but damn well well worth the wait! best 1 half of football i've seen in a long time 

I was at the Montreal game, had time for at least 3 beers that I wouldn't have drunk otherwise, and got to toast the drafting of Patrick Laine with several hundred new found friends.  Glad I could contribute to the Bomber bottom line!

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I was at the Montreal game, had time for at least 3 beers that I wouldn't have drunk otherwise, and got to toast the drafting of Patrick Laine with several hundred new found friends.  Glad I could contribute to the Bomber bottom line!

thats a good point, airing the draft before the game was a great idea for the club, I know I was at IGF hours before kickoff which I normally wouldn't be. Maybe that's something the club should be doing more, possibly with live bands or something to attract people early and capitalize on the extra concession revenue