2017 NHL Playoffs

Noeller

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

God forbid the players actually take it upon themselves to reduce penalties

It would help if they had a coach who held everyone equally accountable. Don't kid yourself.... buff Perreault wheeler Toby took tons of stupid penalties and were out the next shift. Ehlers Laine scheif take 1 and ice time reduced. 

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

It would help if they had a coach who held everyone equally accountable. Don't kid yourself.... buff Perreault wheeler Toby took tons of stupid penalties and were out the next shift. Ehlers Laine scheif take 1 and ice time reduced. 

With Byfuglien they don't really have a choice... what are you going to do, give his icetime to Postma or Nogier?  Come on.  And Perreault took less penalties than both Scheifele and Ehlers... so who's really kidding themselves here?  You're just seeing what you want to see.

19 minutes ago, JCon said:

Stafford is not good at getting back.

Drew Stafford is an opportunistic finisher.  Nothing more, nothing less.  He glides in from the circles and puts garbage away.  His linemates have to cover for him defensively.  While not ideal, there are room for guys like this in the NHL as long as they produce more than their liabilities surrender.  This year he struggled to finish on his opportunities so what we were left with was mostly a defensive liability at one end and a guy who was taking up pricey real estate on the top lines at the other end.

He found his groove again in Boston.  He'll still be a defensive liability there most nights but he'll also put in a few more than he gives up when he's playing the best version of his game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Stafford is gone.  But I generally don't subscribe to the "addition-by-subtraction" mentality.  OK, Stafford is gone, that's good.... now do we have someone better to take his place?  Keeping in mind that younger =/= better.

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Stafford is gone.  But I generally don't subscribe to the "addition-by-subtraction" mentality.  OK, Stafford is gone, that's good.... now do we have someone better to take his place?  Keeping in mind that younger =/= better.

Yes, we do have someone better to take his place. I'm going out on a limb here by saying that Laine is better than Stafford.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Yes, we do have someone better to take his place. I'm going out on a limb here by saying that Laine is better than Stafford.

Laine was already here duhhh.... unless we also picked up a clone?  Which I would be on board with, to be honest.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Goal scoring wasn't a problem for this team. Team defense and goaltending were.

We are where the Oilers were couple years ago. Good O, not good enough at D or G. Next season we'll be at 2015-16 Oilers territory. O, decent G, not enough D

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

If he scored 20 g this year again I might be worried. Stempy was bigger loss.

2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

We are where the Oilers were couple years ago. Good O, not good enough at D or G. Next season we'll be at 2015-16 Oilers territory. O, decent G, not enough D

If he scored 20 g this year again I might be worried. Stempy was bigger loss.

Stemp wasn't a huge loss...  Frolik was, though.

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Production wise Ehlers replaced Frolik. Just need Ehlers to be on the PK with his speed.

Two totally different players.  Frolik is one of the best forecheckers and penalty killers in the league.  Ehlers is a skilled scorer.  I love Ehlers but he is no replacement for Frolik.

50 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Laine was already here duhhh.... unless we also picked up a clone?  Which I would be on board with, to be honest.

Well, we only need two top 6 RWs. I would say we have them in Laine and Wheeler. Not sure we need to "replace" Stafford at all.

Edited by JCon

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Well, we only need two top 6 RWs. I would say we have them in Laine and Wheeler. Not sure we need to "replace" Stafford at all.

It would be nice to have at least 3 right wingers who can score.  Armia seemed to be coming around but there's a good chance we lose him to Vegas.  Then what?

9 minutes ago, Atomic said:

It would be nice to have at least 3 right wingers who can score.  Armia seemed to be coming around but there's a good chance we lose him to Vegas.  Then what?

Roslovic?

I'm thinking Copp gets picked before Armia but then that's a whole other thread about getting someone to give up their NMC.

18 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Is this not a thread about the playoffs? Maybe an admin/Mod can branch this Jets talk into another thread....?

If you want to talk about the playoffs then go ahead and say something interesting about the playoffs.  No need to be the hall monitor.

Does anyone actually think the Leafs are going to pull off the upset?  I'm hoping to god that Washington gets it together.  I don't think the Leafs would make it past Pittsburgh anyways but I really do not want to see them enjoy any kind of success.

17 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

But it still boggles my mind that chevy let the Jets struggle all season and did nothing to help.  

Because they are a draft and develop team and this year was a year of developing the young guys.

Next year...  yet another year to develop guys.....    the year after yet another year of development because so many guys are so young.

As I said before if they sign a "C" level vet goalie to play 20 - 30 games... it's a huge indication that this team isn't going to make any sort of push for a long time.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

If you want to talk about the playoffs then go ahead and say something interesting about the playoffs.  No need to be the hall monitor.

Does anyone actually think the Leafs are going to pull off the upset?  I'm hoping to god that Washington gets it together.  I don't think the Leafs would make it past Pittsburgh anyways but I really do not want to see them enjoy any kind of success.

Fun fact:  I was checking on ticket availability for game 1 in the Caps/Leaves series Tuesday night last week, and at that time only one section was considered sold out (about half were attempts to re-sell).