Orridge to Step Down as Commissioner

Jimmy Pop

Ironically, Kevin McDonald has been running the CFL Football Ops Dept for the longest time and done an outstanding job. But as he has always been a quiet behind the scenes guy his contributions to the league go unnoticed and un rewarded. Hopefully he stays put or the league would be in trouble. Make whomever you like Comish. The owners ultimately drive that bus as evidenced by how they burn through commissioners. The last true functional Commisioner was Jake .

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Why does the league need a "commissioner?"  The BOG sets the agenda for the league and makes decisions.  The commissioner had no power and they've never trusted anyone enough to give them power like say a Bettman.

You still need a 'face' of the CFL and someone who can articulate the direction and policies of the league.

Power or no power, the Commissioner is that 'face'.

How about Matt Dunigan?

My level of respect for him has increased ever since he went full disclosure of the impacts concussions have had on him and his family and his genuine love for CFL football evident in his broadcasts. Sort of the yes we need to make this game as safe as possible but never stop balling hard. I love watching games he does the colour. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

You still need a 'face' of the CFL and someone who can articulate the direction and policies of the league.

Power or no power, the Commissioner is that 'face'.

Well if that's the case why not hire Darren Cameron.  It's a joke.  They have a PR department.  Any number of league officials and reps can talk to the media.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Well if that's the case why not hire Darren Cameron.  It's a joke.  They have a PR department.  Any number of league officials and reps can talk to the media.

Why does the NFL, NHL, MLB, etc need a Commissioner/President? 

Just now, Noeller said:

Why does the NFL, NHL, MLB, etc need a Commissioner/President? 

They actually have power and influence.  They have a functional role in focusing their BOGs and subsequently their staff in the sport side and business side.

If the CFL commissioner says BOO he's replaced.  I'm no fan of Orridge but the position is an absolute joke and pretty much has been for 20 years.

A good commissioner, recognized as someone with "chops" by both owners, officials and fans, might not have any direct authority, but they can influence people, like the owners, to act in ways that will benefit the league.  This is where, I think, Orridge failed and where someone like Pinball could really succeed.  Let's face it, I never saw Orridge as someone who could sway people with the power of his personality or his recognized love of the CFL, but Pinball certainly can. 

I think the CFL should split the responsibilities. One, the Commissioner who is a football man. May have been a former GM, personnel director or coach. He liasons with teams, media & fans. His sole responsibility is to guide the league thru anything related to the onfield product from rosters to game situations. The other position would be CFL President or some other title. He works behind the scenes working on increasing revenues thru sponsorship & corporate deals. At times, they may work together on special projects like a new TV deal but generally they wouldn't. Instead of hiring a useless twit like Orridge who didn't seem to know anything about football & especially the CFL then name him Commissioner while being thrown headlong into the fire, split the duties but have a football guy handle the league, teams, media & fans.

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think the CFL should split the responsibilities. One, the Commissioner who is a football man. May have been a former GM, personnel director or coach. He liasons with teams, media & fans. His sole responsibility is to guide the league thru anything related to the onfield product from rosters to game situations. The other position would be CFL President or some other title. He works behind the scenes working on increasing revenues thru sponsorship & corporate deals. At times, they may work together on special projects like a new TV deal but generally they wouldn't. Instead of hiring a useless twit like Orridge who didn't seem to know anything about football & especially the CFL then name him Commissioner while being thrown headlong into the fire, split the duties but have a football guy handle the league, teams, media & fans.

That's sort of how it always works.  You have a commissioner, and he's the boss and head of the league.  He's where the buck stops.  Then you have senior VP's who focus on subsets of the "business".  Does the commissioner have to be a former player?  In my view, no, but he or she's got to be seen as someone with deep roots in the CFL game, and not just a "suit".  Orridge was a "suit".

For me, the next Commisioner absolutely has to have a complete knowledge of the CFL. A passion even. It starts there. Of course he has to have a brain, and be personable, but if you're not familiar with the nuances of our league, you just won't get it.