Orridge to Step Down as Commissioner

Jimmy Pop

Not necessarily sorry to see him go.  "Awkward" is the best word I could use to describe him every time I saw him in public.

But the commissioner of the CFL does not appear to be a long term gig.   Especially when you compare to other leagues like NFL, MLB, and NHL where the commissioners tend to be measured in decades.

https://stats.cfldb.ca/league/cfl/commissioners/

Other then a few periods of stability with Cohon (7 years), and Gaudaur (16 years - 1968 - 1984), it is a pretty sad state.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Not necessarily sorry to see him go.  "Awkward" is the best word I could use to describe him every time I saw him in public.

But the commissioner of the CFL does not appear to be a long term gig.   Especially when you compare to other leagues like NFL, MLB, and NHL where the commissioners tend to be measured in decades.

https://stats.cfldb.ca/league/cfl/commissioners/

Other then a few periods of stability with Cohon (7 years), and Gaudaur (16 years - 1968 - 1984), it is a pretty sad state.

Lol Donald Crump is a great name...

https://press.cfl.ca/statement-from-the-canadian-football-league#

STATEMENT FROM THE CANADIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 — Toronto -- The Board of Governors of the Canadian Football League and Commissioner Jeffrey L. Orridge have agreed to part ways with an effective date of June 30, 2017. 

“In his time with the CFL, Jeffrey worked tirelessly to promote player health and safety, the integrity of the League on and off the field, and the values of diversity and inclusion,” said Jim Lawson, Chair, CFL. “Jeffrey played an important role in developing the league’s strategic plan which has, in a short time, helped to elevate some key metrics that underpin the health of the league.”

“It has been an honour to serve as CFL Commissioner and help to prepare this historic league for the future by deepening our relationship with fans and sponsors, increasing its relevance with the next generation, and expanding our reach beyond Canada,” said Jeffrey L. Orridge. “While the Board and I have differing views on the future of the league, we both believe passionately in this game, its players, its partners and its fans. I wish the CFL great success in the future."

“On behalf of the Board of Governors we wish Jeffrey continued success and thank him for his hard work and integrity during his tenure with the CFL,” said Lawson.

Reporters with some telling things in their tweets. Nobody thought he'd last this long. Apparently with whole life in States, was not a CFL guy at all and didn't really understand the game. Wanted it to be just like NFL. Never really fit in. 

Interesting thought...Madani suggests Duane Forde would be perfect next Commish. Not sure who would willingly step into the role, just to be a house boy for owners like Braley...?

Effective June 30?  Another piece of horrible timing of off season 'parting of company'. First Toronto waited too long to get rid of Barker, then Edmonton waited even longer to get rid of Hervey, now the commish says hold my beer and leaves too. SMH

Edited by TBURGESS
bad draft date

47 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Pinball Clemons for commissioner is what I vote for....

if you want a face for the league there is none better. I think that would make the position more of a figurehead then a commissioner in any other pro sports league. Course maybe its allready that way. 

I thought orridge did a good job. No one is gonna live up to cohon any time soon. We could do, and have done a whole lot worse. There were a bunch of changes i didnt like in the last few years. XPT, PI, etc but i think thats 99% the BOG and 1% the commish. 

The worst part of this is the rider fans are gonna be soo happy and think its because of his "hatred" of them. and picking on them.