WHC 2017

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

Sounds like a pretty solid group of forwards going... Scheifele, Matt Duchene, Ryan O'Reilley, Claude Giroux, Wayne Simmons, Sean Couteriere, Nate McKinnon, Jeff Skinner... this team shouldn't have trouble scoring...

Sounds like the Jets. Now tell me about their defense...

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

Sounds like a pretty solid group of forwards going... Scheifele, Matt Duchene, Ryan O'Reilley, Claude Giroux, Wayne Simmons, Sean Couteriere, Nate McKinnon, Jeff Skinner... this team shouldn't have trouble scoring...

Is there a roster posted somewhere?

I find it really interesting that Comrie is going.  Did everyone else say no, or are they actually wanting to look at AHL guys in anticipation of the Olympics?  I just see lots of names out there like Bernier, Mason, Reimer, Ward, etc.... not to mention guys who will be out of the playoffs shortly.

19 hours ago, Atomic said:

I find it really interesting that Comrie is going.  Did everyone else say no, or are they actually wanting to look at AHL guys in anticipation of the Olympics?  I just see lots of names out there like Bernier, Mason, Reimer, Ward, etc.... not to mention guys who will be out of the playoffs shortly.

seems to me that Canada & USA in particular treat WHC as grooming for "more important" tourneys.  So is Comrie the best CDN goalie today - probably not. But maybe HC thinks he's got a chance to be at an Olympic games down the road.

Hellebuyck and Copp are going, too.  No disrespect to those guys, but US has to have better options, no?  I figure the better options are just older.  

50 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

seems to me that Canada & USA in particular treat WHC as grooming for "more important" tourneys.  So is Comrie the best CDN goalie today - probably not. But maybe HC thinks he's got a chance to be at an Olympic games down the road.

Hellebuyck and Copp are going, too.  No disrespect to those guys, but US has to have better options, no?  I figure the better options are just older.  

Maybe.  There is also the consideration of people being invited but turning it down.  However there aren't really that many good American goalie options out there that aren't in the playoffs right now.  No American goalie in the league this year had more wins than Hellebuyck.

Lots of USA players tend to say no to this tournament. 

Actually US Hockey is quite strange with their decisions at times. 

As for Comrie... he's what? 21? Think ppl tend to forget that about him. He's very young and he's actually thought of very highly. 

9 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I still can't believe the US lost to Finland earlier today.

Nice game by Team Canada so far. Scheifele's PPG was slick.

Finland has been the most unpredictable international team at every level over the last few years.  One game they will look like they should be getting relegated and the next they're knocking out a favorite.  I don't know what it is.