Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr Dee

Ed Tait's Canadian Content Series..

21 posts in this topic

👁‍🗨As usual, a great read and substance from Ed Tait:

What do Chris Walby, Joe Poplawski, Doug Brown, Andrew Harris, Jamaal Westerman, Bob Cameron, Gerald Wilcox, Ken Nielsen, Bob Swift and Jim Heighton all have in common?

A few things, actually.

  • They are all Winnipeg Blue Bombers legends.
  • Each of them is Canadian.
  • They have all been named as winners of the club’s Most Outstanding Canadian Player award at least once.

Oh… and one more thing: not a single one of them was drafted by the Bombers.

👁‍🗨He goes on to take a look at what the Bombers have done over the years and what to expect in the upcoming draft.

Excerpts:

-Dating back to 1956 and the first CFL Draft, the Bombers have had nine draft classes in which not a single player ever pulled on their uniform for a regular season game.

-The Bombers’ woes of 2012-15 can also be linked – among other things – to the draft classes in 2012-13 that saw only three of 11 players selected actually play in games

-Counter that with the work in the last three drafts where 13 of the 20 selections are on the roster;

-Just to put that into perspective, the members of the 2016 class that made the club – Loffler, Trent Corney, Michael Couture and Shayne Gauthier – combined to play a total of 60 games last year.

That’s more than the combined total games played of 21 draft classes in this team’s history. And those guys are all just entering their sophomore seasons.

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/04/20/canadian-content/

 

Edited by Mr Dee
Mark F, tracker, johnzo and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

👁‍🗨As usual, a great read and substance from Ed Tait:

Yes, he's  very good.... style / content / subject material. It's probably not easy to come up with new things ways to look at things, but he does it.

Edited by Mark F
SPuDS and Mr Dee like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Best Canadian player of all time? Gerry James, Joe Poplawski or Doug Brown? Any others??

You can add Dr. Ken Nielsen to that group...One helluva receiver for us back in the day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Best Canadian player of all time? Gerry James, Joe Poplawski or Doug Brown? Any others??

Best season of all time, by a Canadian Bomber - - - Gerald Wilcox in '94?

I think this is the year I started going to games, he was my first favourite Bomber.

111 rec for 1600 yds & 13 TDs in '94 - hooo weee! 

SPuDS likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Best season of all time, by a Canadian Bomber - - - Gerald Wilcox in '94?

I think this is the year I started going to games, he was my first favourite Bomber.

111 rec for 1600 yds & 13 TDs in '94 - hooo weee! 

Me too.. he was the most familiar face for the bombers offense when I started paying more attention to them as a younger lad.  when I get a throw back jersey, It will be a Wilcox.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Me too.. he was the most familiar face for the bombers offense when I started paying more attention to them as a younger lad.  when I get a throw back jersey, It will be a Wilcox.

 

We can be matching.  I'm due for another soon.  I've got a new Harris home jersey, but dang our road whites are attractive too.  Throwback GW would be pretty solid.

...that or Riders Suck.  Still think I"ll have that on a jersey at some point.  

Players come, players go. Some things will never (ever) change. 

SPuDS likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

We can be matching.  I'm due for another soon.  I've got a new Harris home jersey, but dang our road whites are attractive too.  Throwback GW would be pretty solid.

...that or Riders Suck.  Still think I"ll have that on a jersey at some point.  

Players come, players go. Some things will never (ever) change. 

lol yea thats a tough one. Riders suck will never go out of style or stop being a great conversation piece.

 

decisions decisions.   I think I want a Loffler home jersey before I get anything else tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Gerald Wilcox (Bombers Most Outstanding Canadian in 1993, 1994, 1995)… The first overall pick in 1991 by the Ottawa Rough Riders, he was acquired by the Bombers in 1992 for Less Browne

Wow, that in a nutshell is your typical late-term Ottawa Rough Riders trade.  Exchange your promising first round draft pick, a guy you can build around, for a great, but extremely high-mileage import DB.

(To put it in more modern terms, it'd be like us trading Goosen or Chungh for Henry Burris in 2015.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jesse said:

That is a sad top 5 list.

Historically the Bombers drafting has been so poor that it would have been both fair and accurate to put all 3 of Walters' draft classes in the top 5 (with 2014 and 1991 tied at 5th).  But I get that he doesn't want to be seen as butt-kissing the bosses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mack's 2011 draft should not be in there for the simple fact that he picked Smith and Woodson while Bomben was still on the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/04/2017 at 6:00 PM, Jesse said:

That is a sad top 5 list.

I giggled like a school girl waiting to see the reactions on this site when both Joe Mack and Brendan Taman made the top 5 drafts. 

johnzo and Noeller like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I giggled like a school girl waiting to see the reactions on this site when both Joe Mack and Brendan Taman made the top 5 drafts. 

As much as realizing Cal Murphy's draft legacy is...

troywestwood112107.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to know how terrible the bombers are at drafting without comparing their record to the rest of the league. The CFL draft is such a crapshoot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2017 at 2:38 PM, johnzo said:

Hard to know how terrible the bombers are at drafting without comparing their record to the rest of the league. The CFL draft is such a crapshoot.

So much this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0