Ed Tait...Mini Camp Preview (and) Reports

Mr Dee

1 hour ago, Rod Black said:

Yup. It should be Stafford. As in the CFL vet Kenny Stafford.

Many players were wearing numbers that they will not wear during training camp.

The bottom of today's mini camp roster states "*** Player numbers are for mini-camp only; some may wear different in training camp***"

;)

58a2dfd8415a27783a987d41be9fcc55.gif

post-32020-dave-grohl-thank-you-gif-foo-

Edited by IC Khari

Last thoughts from Day One - Mini Camp 

"From a coach's standpoint it's just great to have players in the building and guys that are eager to work hard." - Coach O'Shea

"I'm looking forward to making my mark on special teams and fitting in wherever I can." - John Rush

"Coming into here I have no knowledge whatsoever of Canadian football,” Carr said after the first day of Winnipeg Blue Bombers mini-camp

“I came out here the first day and I didn’t realize how wide the field was so I was skipping a lot of the field throws. I’m starting to get used to it. It’s a process.”

"Definitely throw first, but if the pocket breaks down I can use my legs as well.”  Myles Carr

“This is an evaluation camp.  We’re trying to figure out which of these guys comes to the next opportunity.  There is some installation, some meeting time and some film time with these guys and a little bit of playbook stuff.  That’s all part of the process of evaluating a player, how they learn, how they pay attention in meetings, are they able to make corrections very quickly, do they go home at night and study their playbook and come back and know a little bit more than they did the day before.” - Coach O'Shea:

From an athletic standpoint, the Bombers obviously have some speed at both running back and receiver.  Lache Seastrunk from Baylor showed off his quickness while running pass routes from the tailback position, while among the 11 receivers Kieren Duncan, T.J. Thorpe, T.J. Lowder, Xavier Rush and Ryan Lankford all flashed their speed and catching ability.   Ten defensive backs got their first introduction to the wide Canadian field and the fact that receivers can come at them with a head start out of their “waggle.”  Robert Porter and Darnell Walker Jr. both acquitted themselves well. - Bob Irving

http://www.cjob.com/2017/04/26/mike-oshea-enthused-about-day-one-of-bomber-mini-camp/?sc_ref=twitter

What they're saying...

QB Dan LeFevour looking accurate and comfortable in the passing skeleton as the third session of #Bombers minicamp wraps up. Darrin Bauming 

Today's first session of #Bombers mini-camp done. Continue to be impressed with the DBs and receivers here. QB Matt Nichols had a good a.m. - Ed Tait

The #Bombers mini-camp receivers have been impressive - Ed Tait

QB's Nichols, Lefevour, Davis and Carr all throw gorgeous deep throws at mini camp--why wouldn't they, right?  ?? Bob Irving

"Character." - Coach O'Shea on the deciding factor if two players are neck-and-neck. 

"We're sitting in pretty good shape to get into camp and get rolling." - Coach O'Shea

"As a football team, what you're always striving for is to get that depth." - Coach Richie Hall

"You have to be consistently performing." - Coach LaPolice

“It’s an adjustment, man. Besides the weather, it’s just getting used to all the motioning,” said Chisum Thursday. “But I feel more confident on the second day already.

"(Calvin Johnson) came back and got his jersey retired and that’s the night I broke his record.” - Alex Chisum

Edited by Mr Dee

17 hours ago, wbbfan said:

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/04/27/mini-camp-feature-alex-chisum/

that story about chisum and megatron is gold. 

"He’s (Calvin Johnson) one person I would definitely love to model my game after.” - Alex Chisum

Yeah, I think I could live with a Calvin Johnson-type receiver... :D

Blue Bomber Talk

I'm sure he's improved, but consensus in Bomber camp last yr was that Bennett was distant 4th on WPG's QB depth chart. #CFL #Bombers #Riders

?‍?Looks like Vince Young did enough to move on to Main Camp in Saskatchewan...#ridersnowinvinceable...

Dan Lefevour throws yet another fabulous deep pass hooking up with Stephen Burton. -Bob Irving

Matt Nichols says mini camp is for knocking off the rust--No rust on this guy as he fires darts. - Bob Irving

Jeffcoat was the lone lineman at minicamp. He stayed one day. I'm told he will be at main camp in late May. - Darrin Bauming

CFL Headlines

Bombers hopeful Roberson once rushed for 420 Yards..

And finally....

If I had to cut 12 guys by Monday based on their performance over the last 3 days alone:

WR - T. J. Lowder

WR - Xavier Rush

WR - Stephen Burton

LB - George Stone

DB - Terrance Parks

LB - Brandon Alexander

DB- Robert Porter

DB - Tre Hunter

WR - Di'Andre Campbell

RB - Johnta Hebert

WR - Rashon Ceaser

DB - Jeremy Harris

3 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Didn't hear much about him prior to this but Ed Tait has a nice little story up on Roc Carmichael & how Macho Harris lead him to Winnipeg.

http://www.bluebombers.comM/2017/04/28/mini-camp-feature-roc-carmichael/

So Macho is a good person. some insight into why coach oshea likes him.

I'm starting to like this good citizenship thing.

Edited by Mark F

6 hours ago, TrueBlue said:

If I had to cut 12 guys by Monday based on their performance over the last 3 days alone:

WR - T. J. Lowder

WR - Xavier Rush

WR - Stephen Burton

LB - George Stone

DB - Terrance Parks

LB - Brandon Alexander

DB- Robert Porter

DB - Tre Hunter

WR - Di'Andre Campbell

RB - Johnta Hebert

WR - Rashon Ceaser

DB - Jeremy Harris

Interesting. I'd been hearing nothing but positives about Stone, Burton and Campbell.

"The guys we brought in here are going to push and compete extremely hard at training camp." - Mike O'Shea

"My main focus is getting my head in the playbook." - Nick Temple

"I was very impressed with the guys that were out here." - Matt Nichols

"You can never have enough good football players around and I think we have a lot of good ones here this week.”

"As a football team, what you're always striving for is to get that depth." - Coach Richie Hall

--O'Shea impressed with defensive backs, while Nichols lauds receivers

https://twitter.com/cfl_headlines/status/858098344329195520

Buck Pierce - QB Coach...

BUCK’S TAKES

Bombers quarterbacks coach Buck Pierce gave his assessment of each of the Bombers pivots after mini-camp.

On Matt Nichols

“What impresses me is just how he prepares his schedule of what he needs to do on a weekly basis to prepare to be the guy while continuing to bring other guys along. He’s always had great leadership ability but now it’s the communication. It’s a daily thing for him that he has to grab his teammates and bring them along.”

On Dominique Davis

He had great development last year. We like what he does, he’s prepared. He practises well and he’s consistent in what he does. He’s the same guy every day and that’s something we talk about with our group of quarterbacks: You can’t be up one day and down the next. You’ve got to be able to build that trust with your teammates and coaches. He’s done it. He knows where he has to get to and we’re pushing him to get there.”

On Dan LeFevour

“I think he’s been with nine teams in eight years or something like that so he’s seen a lot of systems. So now it’s just him getting his head wrapped around how we call things. I’m really impressed with how he’s throwing the football and getting the ball out of his hands on time.”

On Myles Carr

“It’s his first experience in pro football. This is an evaluation camp, so we watched everything that he’s doing, how he’s learning, how he reacts on plays he wishes he had back at times. But he’s doing a good job. He’s a good communicator, he asks good questions, so we like what he’s doing so far.”

?‍?Nice piece on Buck "the QB Coach" Pierce

?‍? Congratulations are in order to Wade Miller and Melissa Malden on their recent wedding!