NHL Draft

Floyd

46 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Do you think the Jets might try to trade up?  Some teams might feel it's not a super strong draft and be willing to trade down. 

Probably not as Jets need players now more than 3 years from now. 

LOL! It's Chevy. Futures are his ticket to long term employment as he doesn't do much else as a GM. He has Chipman & the media (Lawless) convinced that the future is 5 years from now.

22 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

LOL! It's Chevy. Futures are his ticket to long term employment as he doesn't do much else as a GM. He has Chipman & the media (Lawless) convinced that the future is 5 years from now.

Future is now they need to show the paying public that they have amassed a good team that can make the playoffs, ticket buying public were starting to grumble last year and another below average showing this coming year will result in empty seats at the MTS Centre, and in turn will result in big changes in the organization if they miss the playoffs.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Do you think the Jets might try to trade up?  Some teams might feel it's not a super strong draft and be willing to trade down. 

Probably not as Jets need players now more than 3 years from now. 

It's possible. Depends on the price. Also depends on who is available that they like. They won't trade in to the top 3. Cuz they just won't.  Not worth it to pay the price. It also depends on who they like... perhaps they like 2 or 3 guys who they feel will be there at 13. I dunno. 

Normally I'd say go BPA also Cuz you aren't drafting for now you are drafting for the future but this time I guess I'll say I hope they draft BDA. Left or right is really irrelevant to me. 

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

Future is now they need to show the paying public that they have amassed a good team that can make the playoffs, ticket buying public were starting to grumble last year and another below average showing this coming year will result in empty seats at the MTS Centre, and in turn will result in big changes in the organization if they miss the playoffs.

I hope you're right. If Maurice & Chevy get extensions they'll be here for awhile.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I'd like to see the Jets grab a defenseman with the 13th overall pick. Valimaki could be that defenseman. LH shot, too.

I think we should take the best prospect on the board.

At 13, we're not likely to get someone who can walk into the line-up, so take the player with the best possible upside.

We need a LH defenseman today but will we need one tomorrow? That, I'm not certain.

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I think we should take the best prospect on the board.

At 13, we're not likely to get someone who can walk into the line-up, so take the player with the best possible upside.

We need a LH defenseman today but will we need one tomorrow? That, I'm not certain.

I'd agree but the Jets are pretty stacked at forward and the depth there looks good for the foreseeable future. The same can't be said for the blue line at this point, IMO. The LHD depth is particularly concerning.

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I'd agree but the Jets are pretty stacked at forward and the depth there looks good for the foreseeable future. The same can't be said for the blue line at this point, IMO. The LHD depth is particularly concerning.

Sure but do you reach for an LHD if there isn't a suitable one available?  I'd say in the NHL it's take the best player available, always.  You don't really know what your lineup is going to look like in 2-5 years when that player is ready to step in so reaching for a current positional need is almost never a good plan.

If there is a top LHD available at 13 then sure take him, but don't plan to take the best available LHD because then you could potentially be missing out on other great players.

Just now, Atomic said:

Sure but do you reach for an LHD if there isn't a suitable one available?  I'd say in the NHL it's take the best player available, always.  You don't really know what your lineup is going to look like in 2-5 years when that player is ready to step in so reaching for a current positional need is almost never a good plan.

If there is a top LHD available at 13 then sure take him, but don't plan to take the best available LHD because then you could potentially be missing out on other great players.

No, of course a GM shouldn't reach. That's not at all what I'm suggesting.

I'm saying Valimaki could be available at that position and if so, the Jets could benefit from taking him.

In this particular draft, I think there's a lot of value to a D mid-1st round....that's where I'd lean. They tend to take awhile to develop, so there's guys who might be going "under-noticed" right now because they're not showing superstar levels in junior, but there's a high ceiling which might develop in the next 5-7 years, which is just fine...

• 1 month later...