Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

10 hours ago, Mike said:

With so many defensive tackles out there, I'll be surprised if we don't grab one. Probably american at this point.

Cash, Nevis, Johnson, Cummings, Brooks ... who am I forgetting? I wouldn't mind ANY of those guys

Would love to see either of Brooks or Nevis here. Westerman - XX - Nevis/Brooks - Okpalaugo would be real swell.

Another great read from Ed Tait:

Tristan Okpalaugo had choices. Tough choices. But in the end he chose to start the next chapter his football career with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers for two basic reasons:

1. The club’s rabid fan base and;

2. Head coach Mike O’Shea.

We’ll get to the fan base thing in a bit. But first, a story about his unique relationship with O’Shea… including the time Okpalaugo says the Bomber coach saved his mom’s life.

Wait… what?

“Yes, (Coach O’Shea) saved my mom’s life.”

“We were in Vancouver for the 2014 Grey Cup (Okpalaugo was there as the East Division’s Most Outstanding Rookie) and I talked to him a little bit after a dinner. As we were leaving, I guess a car either ran a red light or we weren’t paying attention, but my mom stepped into the street and he grabbed her just before a car came flying by. He saved her,” said Okpalaugo in a phone interview with bluebombers.com.

“We got to talk a little bit in Vancouver and he seemed like a good guy. I’ve also called around a bit before making this decision and I know from talking to players that he’s a big reason for the turnaround there.”

Rest of story at http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/02/09/got-guy-okpalaugo-finds-bomber-home/

20 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

Another great read from Ed Tait:

Rest of story at http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/02/09/got-guy-okpalaugo-finds-bomber-home/

I'm still willing to put in on the kickstarter for building a MOS statue whenever someone wants to get that started...

4 hours ago, Booch said:

no knock on Jake but that would be a serious step backwards. He works well in rotation but even then we can do better.

As a fulltime starter he would wear down fast, also if yiu watch game film he is the slowest guy to react and get out of his stance at the snap...very slow as guys are already up and moving while he still in 3 or 4 point...go watch some pvr'd game if you have it.

Also as a game goes on he gets washed out on plays a lot..great motor..i sure great guy but not starter material

I'll take your word for it Booch!  But Jake is in his prime and this should be the best year of his career if he gets some opportunity.  Maybe just use him in a heavy rotation with an American.  26 years old with 5 years under his belt.

that was the thing with Hall's defense, right? They always said it relied on a lot of pressure up front to be effective...? Last year we just didn't get the pressure needed, and that led to giving up a lot of unnecessary yards...

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

that was the thing with Hall's defense, right? They always said it relied on a lot of pressure up front to be effective...? Last year we just didn't get the pressure needed, and that led to giving up a lot of unnecessary yards...

Yeah in his system you dont see more then 4-5 rushers often. But if u look at the DTs we brought in, and westermans season from the previous year we should have had more pressure then we got. We sent bass a ton of times with very low success. 

Ill never like soft contain coverage style. With out a rush all you are doing is giving up all the yards the offense wants along with TOP.  Our play makers covered up for a horrible broken defense last year with a ridiculous amount of turn overs. 

Good interview with Walters, well worth a listen.

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/02/09/gm-kyle-walters-quieter-free-agency-predicted/

Interesting points.

-Jake Thomas taking on larger role this year.  (he played 50% of snaps last year)

-Money spent on DE's will be saved on young DT's.

-Davis will be #2.

-Burnett may be back as he hasn't signed an NFL contract yet, so there is hope.

-Not likely to sign any starters in first days of F.A. but will be looking for support players and good fits salary wise.

-Likely to try to retain current F.A. Natl. ST players before next week. (Sherman etc.)

-Bass not offered a contract, they see him more as a WIL than a MLB and Wild is already under contract.

-JFG will be given an opportunity to play larger role.  (Bye-bye Rory)

-Fogg and Kiernan Duncan potential kick returners to replace McDuffie.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

7 hours ago, Floyd said:

I just hope we don't have Waggoner penciled in to start as a 'gap-filling' MLB...  if he wins the job, great but don't want to see this D held hostage by MOS' dream of an NI MLB again...

No one with out experience should be penciled into starting spots but nearly all jobs should be up for grabs. But i doubt that happens. mos likes his guys. 

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

Is Waggoner not way too small to play in the middle? I thought he was basically a textbook outside guy...?

No hes big enough to play middle.  He has the skill set to play either. Maybe even back up Mo. If it translates beyond his teams play he will have to get snaps to tell. 

7 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Knox will be the MLB

Knox will probably go into camp the incumbent. whether he should or not. He doesnt have the spot won though. 

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Good interview with Walters, well worth a listen.

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/02/09/gm-kyle-walters-quieter-free-agency-predicted/

Interesting points.

-Jake Thomas taking on larger role this year.  (he played 50% of snaps last year)

-Money spent on DE's will be saved on young DT's.

-Davis will be #2.

-Burnett may be back as he hasn't signed an NFL contract yet, so there is hope.

-Not likely to sign any starters in first days of F.A. but will be looking for support players and good fits salary wise.

-Likely to try to retain current F.A. Natl. ST players before next week. (Sherman etc.)

-Bass not offered a contract, they see him more as a WIL than a MLB and Wild is already under contract.

-JFG will be given an opportunity to play larger role.  (Bye-bye Rory)

-Fogg and Kiernan Duncan potential kick returners to replace McDuffie.

Walters is such a good interview... He gives fans some insight without giving away their plans.  Refreshing...