Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

19 minutes ago, Atomic said:

At this point I think we can say Richards was probably a bad pick but I'd say he's got another year to prove it wasn't.

He was a second round pick, 11th.  He was ranked 11th in scouting. He is 23 years old and has good size. Canadian receivers take a little longer to develop I think anyway. He may not work out but to say he was a bad pick is hindsight and nothing else. At the time he was chosen, he was a good pick.

13 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Surprised. Young guy who looked decent when he started last season. It's not like he's making too much money. I wonder if his injury is still an issue?

Quite possible.

They do seem to be pretty good at hunting down new defensive backs though. I guess it wouldn't be shocking they found someone they like more than Roberts. It seems like I've heard many a good thing about Roc Carmichael, maybe he's the next one for us.

37 minutes ago, Ripper said:

He was a second round pick, 11th.  He was ranked 11th in scouting. He is 23 years old and has good size. Canadian receivers take a little longer to develop I think anyway. He may not work out but to say he was a bad pick is hindsight and nothing else. At the time he was chosen, he was a good pick.

My fingers are still crossed. My God, he hasn't even really hit the field in anger yet.

3 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Curse of the "CJ's".  I think Frederick made more of an impact and Fogg is more versatile.

good call on both of those.  I thought Frederick and Roberts were essentially neck in neck but he must have graded out higher.

8 hours ago, Atomic said:

At this point I think we can say Richards was probably a bad pick but I'd say he's got another year to prove it wasn't.

I hope he doesn't have another year. This should be it for him. he has to perform in training camp & the exhibition season. For once, Richardson actually needs to prove he belongs. No more free passes. I know he's been injured but other players don't get that luxury. Third season now. Time to show what he's got.

20 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I hope he doesn't have another year. This should be it for him. he has to perform in training camp & the exhibition season. For once, Richardson actually needs to prove he belongs. No more free passes. I know he's been injured but other players don't get that luxury. Third season now. Time to show what he's got.

Why should we cut him until someone else takes his place? To punish ourselves in order to punish him? 

34 minutes ago, Mike said:

Why should we cut him until someone else takes his place? To punish ourselves in order to punish him? 

Being cut is punishment for not producing. I'm saying it's time for Richardson to produce. If he can't show he belongs then he should go. Being on the Bombers should be based solely on merit & not nationality. Or trying to prove that the Bombers didn't make a mistake drafting Richards. The team isn't punishing itself if it decides it's time to move on. They simply have moved on.

I just want to add that based on Walter's performance drafting players, I don't think many fans are going to be critical if Richards is cut if he fails to live up to the coaches expectations this year. By then, he'll have had 3 training camps & 2 full seasons (albeit injured mostly) to prove he is a CFL player. Hopefully he can show something this years to be kept around. It's hard to be critical of a GM who has drafted guys like Matthias Goosen, Sukh Chungh & Taylor Loffler. Our Nationals situation is light years ahead of where it was in 2013.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

As for Roberts.. he was a pretty decent but not great player. Fogg Heath Randle Frederick even Bruce Johnson are better. Combined with a couple new rookies.. ah the business side of the CFL. 

Who knows maybe he catches on with another team tho.  

Edited by Goalie

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

But this is the CFL. Plenty of players are here based on citizenship. That's just the way the league is, you don't have to agree with it but we can't ask the Bombers to operat differently just because.

The guys that don't start but do stick around play special teams. I could be wrong but it's my understanding that Richards doesn't. Am I incorrect there, Mike? Does Richardson play specials?

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The guys that don't start but do stick around play special teams. I could be wrong but it's my understanding that Richards doesn't. Am I incorrect there, Mike? Does Richardson play specials?

No, he does not. However when we're such a thin team at CDN receiver, my opinion is that it doesn't make a lot of sense to cut a guy just because he hasn't developed quickly.

I find the timing of the CJ Roberts release a little curious... he was our 3rd best corner last year (maybe 4th if you include Johnny Adams' minimal contributions)... so it wouldn't surprise me to see a guy like that not make the team... I'm just surprised he didn't make it, at least, to TC...

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed international defensive lineman Lawrence Virgil and national offensive lineman Cody Speller.

Virgil (6-5, 290, Valdosta State, January 20, 1991 in Quitman, GA) spent three seasons playing for the Valdosta State Blazers from 2010-2013. In his junior season, Virgil recorded 52 tackles and 6.0 sacks while earning honorable mention All-America. Virgil signed with the New Orleans Saints as an undrafted free agent in 2014.

Speller (6-4, 285, McMaster, May 10, 1994 in Caistor Centre, ON) spent four years with the McMaster Marauders and played in 22 games. He was selected to participate in the 2016 CIS East-West Bowl.

The club has also released international defensive back Josh Celerin.

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/05/19/bombers-add-two-release-one/

Edited by bigg jay