Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

45 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed international defensive lineman Lawrence Virgil and national offensive lineman Cody Speller.

Virgil (6-5, 290, Valdosta State, January 20, 1991 in Quitman, GA) spent three seasons playing for the Valdosta State Blazers from 2010-2013. In his junior season, Virgil recorded 52 tackles and 6.0 sacks while earning honorable mention All-America. Virgil signed with the New Orleans Saints as an undrafted free agent in 2014.

Speller (6-4, 285, McMaster, May 10, 1994 in Caistor Centre, ON) spent four years with the McMaster Marauders and played in 22 games. He was selected to participate in the 2016 CIS East-West Bowl.

The club has also released international defensive back Josh Celerin.

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/05/19/bombers-add-two-release-one/

Does his name imply that he will be used only occasionally?

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I hope he doesn't have another year. This should be it for him. he has to perform in training camp & the exhibition season. For once, Richardson actually needs to prove he belongs. No more free passes. I know he's been injured but other players don't get that luxury. Third season now. Time to show what he's got.

Almost seems like you're hoping for him to fail. Similar thinking as those who were cheering for Pav to fail.

IMO as long as he's showing promise what's the harm of letting a kid develop? Is he taking a roster spot from some star CDN receiver that we don't have nor do they seem willing to pay?

7 hours ago, Mike said:

No, he does not. However when we're such a thin team at CDN receiver, my opinion is that it doesn't make a lot of sense to cut a guy just because he hasn't developed quickly.

If he can't play specials then he's taking up a roster spot. He can't contribute if he doesn't even get on the field. What you're asking is for the Bombers to hold onto him to prove they didn't make a mistake. I don't agree with it if they do as he doesn't deserve to be here. Other Canadian players are fighting for a roster spot & sacrificing themselves on specials to prove they belong. He isn't.

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If he can't play specials then he's taking up a roster spot. He can't contribute if he doesn't even get on the field. What you're asking is for the Bombers to hold onto him to prove they didn't make a mistake. I don't agree with it if they do as he doesn't deserve to be here. Other Canadian players are fighting for a roster spot & sacrificing themselves on specials to prove they belong. He isn't.

when he has been healthy, hes looked the part.  hes had some really crappy luck for injuries.. with his size and stature, I'd be surprised if he doesn't play teams if hes healthy.   With that said, I don't fault the staff if he does end up getting cut if he gets hurt again or doesn't beat out the new guys coming to camp for his job..

17 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They obviously wouldn't have him on the roster if Walters and co didn't have a plan for him. Just because you haven't seen it yet doesn't mean he hasn't been proving himself in practice. I'm sure if he comes to camp and doesn't improve on last year he will be out but that's the story for everyone returning.

19 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Kinda hard to prove oneself when he has been ravaged by injuries since being drafted. Had Richards been playing and not showing anything, then you'd have a point.

24 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by whether he's "deserving". All I care about is whether or not he's better than the guy that he's competing with for his roster spot. If he is, keep him. If he's not, see ya later.

I don't see why every backup player should have to play special teams.  It's not like the Bombers are hurting for Canadians capable of playing special teams... half the roster can do it and then you're probably looking at a few Americans who will be on ST as well because they're just that damn good at it.

As a backup receiver I don't see the problem with being just that - a backup receiver.  Sometimes you gotta hold on to a guy and develop him for the position he plays rather than just drafting the guy who will be best at chasing down kicks.

15 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

when he has been healthy, hes looked the part.  hes had some really crappy luck for injuries.. with his size and stature, I'd be surprised if he doesn't play teams if hes healthy.   With that said, I don't fault the staff if he does end up getting cut if he gets hurt again or doesn't beat out the new guys coming to camp for his job..

With his physique, he should be playing specials. At the very least making a contribution that way. If he can't & he doesn't show enough at camp then sayonara.

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by whether he's "deserving". All I care about is whether or not he's better than the guy that he's competing with for his roster spot. If he is, keep him. If he's not, see ya later.

He hasn't shown that yet so why keep him on the premise he needs more time to develop? This really should be it for the guy. Show something at camp or be gone. You would expect that from any other player so why give him a pass?

Just now, Gotmilt said:

Or they like JFG more right now and he'll come in given the chance.

he has to be on special teams. If he was like Jade Etienne in physique then you could understand why they never put him out there.  He's a big body who now is in his 3rd season & therefore has to contribute any way that he can.

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

So if he looks good enough to be our #2 Canadian receiver but doesn't play specials we should cut him?

Explain how he has looked good enough when he has caught 1 pass in 2 seasons? By actual ability or attrition at that position? If he wins by default then that's sad.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Explain how he has looked good enough when he has caught 1 pass in 2 seasons? By actual ability or attrition at that position?

Did I say that?  I said "if" he looks like our second best Canadian receiver in camp.  I'm willing to give the guy a chance to prove he belongs in his third year.  He's here to play receiver.  I couldn't care less if he plays special teams.

1 hour ago, Gotmilt said:

Almost seems like you're hoping for him to fail. Similar thinking as those who were cheering for Pav to fail.

IMO as long as he's showing promise what's the harm of letting a kid develop? Is he taking a roster spot from some star CDN receiver that we don't have nor do they seem willing to pay?

A third year vet has to contribute any way he can. This was the same argument we had with Jade Etienne. The Bombers finally let him go even though some here were defending him until the day he was cut.

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

So if he looks good enough to be our #2 Canadian receiver but doesn't play specials we should cut him?

Id say no.. if he shows well enough to be backup to whomever starts and others cant beat him out of his job then he sticks..  keep a 3rd around for ST/backup in case.. we do seem to always have injured canadian receivers.

A third year veteran who's dressed for 17 games, seen limited action in those games, and has dealt with his fair share of serious injuries.

Development doesn't follow a guaranteed path. I don't think it's reasonable to cut a player because his path has had more obstacles than another.

Edited by blue_gold_84

20 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Kinda hard to prove oneself when he has been ravaged by injuries since being drafted. Had Richards been playing and not showing anything, then you'd have a point.

Well, injuries are part of the game. Look at all the criticism Buck Pierce & Patrick Neufeld took from fans when they couldn't stay healthy.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, injuries are part of the game. Look at all the criticism Buck Pierce & Patrick Neufeld took from fans when they couldn't stay healthy.

Difficult to compare Richards to two actual veterans who had significant playing time under their belts before getting injured.