Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

Just now, AKAChip said:

The age thing is relevant only in the sense that he is so much younger than Hardy. The fact that Hardy played extra years or junior explains why he is older despite the same draft year but why does that matter in the context of this argument?

Go talk to Mike about it. He said  it, I didn't.

Richards needs to step it up this year or he'll be gone. NI's get more chances than IMP's, but Richards is quickly running out of them. He's played in 17 games over 2 years (About half the games) and has one catch. As he's also been holding down a salary for 2 years, that's one expensive catch. For that level of output, we might as well sign a non drafted NI receiver who is big enough to play special teams for the league minimum.

Just now, TBURGESS said:

Richards needs to step it up this year or he'll be gone. NI's get more chances than IMP's, but Richards is quickly running out of them. He's played in 17 games over 2 years (About half the games) and has one catch. As he's also been holding down a salary for 2 years, that's one expensive catch. For that level of output, we might as well sign a non drafted NI receiver who is big enough to play special teams for the league minimum.

I don't think Richards can be judged on his career just yet but you can definitely say he wasn't a great high draft pick at the time considering the injury issue he seems to have had even prior to the draft.  There was more expectation that Loffler would suffer from injury problems and that was reflected in his lower draft position.  In the end those injury concerns may limit the length of his career but he has provided immediate pay back so far.

2 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Sure ive been wrong many times before and will be wrong many times again. I've also been right many times before and will be correct again many more times. What's your point? :lol:

Not to mention, you said that Garrett Waggoner was a good pick, so who knows about anything you say right? 

Yes well....  I.... but .... 

That doesn't matter!!!

19 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Must be close to tc, Richards getting soo much talk time. Don't think hes much of a factor or will be. Certainly not worth soo much concern :P 

I like the Lawrence Virgil signing. Big super strong athletic DT that makes plays in the back field. 

Virgil looks good on paper but apparently has difficulty shedding blocks- that's a coaching thing.

1 hour ago, tracker said:

Virgil looks good on paper but apparently has difficulty shedding blocks- that's a coaching thing.

Less shedding blocks more hes too happy to settle for locking horns with a guard / centre and trying to bull rush. If you are one dimensional as a pass rusher you will struggle a lot. 

A lot of positions have nuances that coaching can improve a lot. The linemen more then any other though imop. We have a ton of high end young talent on both sides of the line. Im sure both will be a huge focus. I hope howard is up to the task. 

5 hours ago, tracker said:

'Cause he learned his math in Regina.

still worlds better then pederson or friesen. Not much of a measuring stick though. Its like getting better mileage then a tank pulling another tank. 

3 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Reminds of Coach Dave Ritchie. He'd say there were 2 keys to winning a game, then go ahead and list 3 things.

:lol: I love the old ritchie-isms

Edited by wbbfan

On 5/19/2017 at 7:24 AM, Mike said:

No, he does not. However when we're such a thin team at CDN receiver, my opinion is that it doesn't make a lot of sense to cut a guy just because he hasn't developed quickly.

On 5/19/2017 at 3:16 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

If he can't play specials then he's taking up a roster spot. He can't contribute if he doesn't even get on the field. What you're asking is for the Bombers to hold onto him to prove they didn't make a mistake. I don't agree with it if they do as he doesn't deserve to be here. Other Canadian players are fighting for a roster spot & sacrificing themselves on specials to prove they belong. He isn't.

Richards played on the kickoff return team last year (when healthy).  Front row, right sideline.  #15.------------->#86.

Brought out the bold for this.  Don't make me use all caps.

Edited by mbrg
6 months is a long time

I could care less if Richards has played teams or not to this point, nor do I care how many receptions he's had so far. What I care about is whether he is healthy enough to contribute consistently, and whether his trajectory is still going up, and whether the coaches feel there is unrealized but attainable upside to explore.

What he has done to this point is irrelevant.

Edited by gcn11

CFL draft is a crap shoot at the best of times, taking a chance on a big athletic WR who may never see the field is a chance id be willing to take. He has the tools where as Etienne obviously did not- that's poor drafting. 

Waggonner obviously did not pan out for us but that doesn't make him a bad pick either, with the salaries in the CFL a lot of times the guys could make more money pursuing other careers as much as we don't like it.