Noeller

29 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Off the top of my head:

Cato

Crompton

Lefevour

Gale

Matthews

are all guys who've started who are likely to be on the market.

Are any of them really better options than Davis? Flipside, isn't possible one is still there in say July if we really need one?

I'd say all are more experienced and Cato and Matthews are better than Dom. If any of them expect #1 QB money, they're dreaming.  If we are going to sign any of them, it needs to be before TC so they can get the reps and learn the offense.

8 minutes ago, Floyd said:

If the Bombers are going with this plan, they need to get Davis more meaningful reps early in the season...  thats tough to do

Hard to believe Nichols will go injury free for a second straight year, if he goes down and we get to see Davis for a couple of complete games that will be a good indicator of his upside.

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Hard to believe Nichols will go injury free for a second straight year, if he goes down and we get to see Davis for a couple of complete games that will be a good indicator of his upside.

Still would prefer Gale as backup...

People complain that the Bombers don't develop their own quarterbacks.

People complain when the Bombers think they may have developed a backup quarterback.

Conclusion: Wiecek just likes to complain.

Promoting Davis is no doubt a risk, but the whole point of letting the third QB develop is so he can work his way up the depth chart. At some point every team at QB or any other position makes the decision to promote players up the depth chart. This isn't unusual. 

Clearly the Bombers feel he's ready for the job. Or maybe they just feel that he's better than the soon-to-be 38 year old Kevin Glenn (and that doesn't seem unreasonable, either). I don't know. I'm not particularly a Dom Davis fan, but I don't think this is far and away a terrible decision.  Maybe it blows up in their face but then we can argue that for any other position too. This just happens to be the QB spot, which of course is going to draw the most attention.

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Off the top of my head:

Cato

Crompton

Lefevour

Gale

Matthews

are all guys who've started who are likely to be on the market.

Are any of them really better options than Davis? Flipside, isn't possible one is still there in say July if we really need one?

And I won't be surprised if one of those guys is signed before May.  I am very certain we won't be first in line for those guys with a big bag of cash in hand.  If we sign one of those guys it will not include much of a raise.

I recall the question Walters was asked (paraphrasing) was "are you comfortable with Davis as your number two?"  Now, if that was the phrasing it takes great restraint to not giggle when asked a question like that...but Walters never said the job is already his.  And there is no rule in place that prevents one of the above from being behind Davis on the depth chart.

Last year Davis came to camp with the opportunity to win the #3 job.  This year he comes to camp with the opportunity to win the #2.

The Bombers will likely have 5 QBs at camp, just like they always do.  There will be more signings.  Maybe one of those guys above, but don't hold your breath on that.

7 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

People complain that the Bombers don't develop their own quarterbacks.

People complain when the Bombers think they may have developed a backup quarterback.

Conclusion: Wiecek just likes to complain.

Promoting Davis is no doubt a risk, but the whole point of letting the third QB develop is so he can work his way up the depth chart. At some point every team at QB or any other position makes the decision to promote players up the depth chart. This isn't unusual. 

Clearly the Bombers feel he's ready for the job. Or maybe they just feel that he's better than the soon-to-be 38 year old Kevin Glenn (and that doesn't seem unreasonable, either). I don't know. I'm not particularly a Dom Davis fan, but I don't think this is far and away a terrible decision.  Maybe it blows up in their face but then we can argue that for any other position too. This just happens to be the QB spot, which of course is going to draw the most attention.

Davis was a Calgary Stampeder for about 3 weeks, so even if he goes on and has a 20 year career in the CFL wearing blue and gold people will continue to complain the Bombers didn't develop him.

I think that having an untested Davis as our #2 QB is the biggest risk we are taking this year. I'm pretty confident in saying that we will need to start our #2 QB at least a couple of times this year. I'd be much more comfortable if our #2 guy had actually won a CFL game or at had thrown for more then 170 yards.

Last year, Walters understood that we needed a vet backup when he said he wouldn't make the Willy trade without being able to bring a vet QB in. This year we can't afford a vet QB and the out of work backup QB's are expecting #1 QB money.

11 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I think that having an untested Davis as our #2 QB is the biggest risk we are taking this year. I'm pretty confident in saying that we will need to start our #2 QB at least a couple of times this year. I'd be much more comfortable if our #2 guy had actually won a CFL game or at had thrown for more then 170 yards.

Last year, Walters understood that we needed a vet backup when he said he wouldn't make the Willy trade without being able to bring a vet QB in. This year we can't afford a vet QB and the out of work backup QB's are expecting #1 QB money.

Different circumstances as they were driving  for the playoffs when they acquired Glenn.  If Davis is a flop, vet. QB's will still be available later in the season if they choose to replicate that action.

Who's going to pay these guys #1 money?  Dan Lefevour should know better by now.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

For all intents and purposes we are developing a quarterback....Davis.

Yeah Calgary brought him up here first but no developing occurred there. It all has here over past 2 years. 

Sure he has had limited reps that joe fan has seen, but really does that mean anything?. I trust in the coaches opinions, as well have been there and done that and know how things work. Game reps sure are great and yes needed, and I can see this year him going in for a series or two here and there mid game like other quarterbacks have done to change things up for a series and to let the starter see whats going on and from a different view on sidelines and on the headset with LAPO...

How this offence is set up and with the weapons we have he just has to manage the game and not be stupid and try to run it like a maverick. Also he is mobile as well so if things are not progressing in his reads or he is confused he can take off and run. I'm not worried and I thind SMS money can be spent elsewhere to help the team win more than in a back up QB where if Nicholls stays healthy would never see the field. Much like Glenn last year

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Different circumstances as they were driving  for the playoffs when they acquired Glenn.  If Davis is a flop, vet. QB's will still be available later in the season if they choose to replicate that action.

We start driving for the playoffs when we go to TC. Competition in TC between Davis and a more experienced QB would help both and then we'd have a couple of QB's who know the system. Bringing a vet in later doesn't give them a TC to learn the system. We'd get to pick the best vet QB we think is out there if we bring them in for TC. Later in the season we have to settle for whichever one(s) didn't get signed by another team.

The only downside I see with bringing a vet backup QB in to compete for #2 is cost and that could be mitigated by cutting whichever one loses the #2 spot in TC. You still end up with another QB who knows most of your system that you can bring back if Nichols goes down for an extended period of time or if Davis turns out to be a bad choice for #2.

This is a bit confusing... we need Davis because he's been in the system and that's how you develop QBs... but if he doesn't work out, we can just find someone mid-season and plug him in.

On the bright side,, we can always just trade a 7th round pick for Glenn on September 1st...

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I'd say all are more experienced and Cato and Matthews are better than Dom. If any of them expect #1 QB money, they're dreaming.  If we are going to sign any of them, it needs to be before TC so they can get the reps and learn the offense.

pretty much agree. 

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Yeah, late last year he got rocked and thought he was gonna be out a couple times. That combined with how ride or die mos is especially late in games means a lot of breath gonna be held this year. Thats true, but that could very easily come at the cost of play off positioning or the play offs all together. He should have gotten in late last year a few times. 

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Who's going to pay these guys #1 money?  Dan Lefevour should know better by now.

Thats true, but then instead of spending money we will be losing assets and money in that back up. If that does happen and we arent quick to make that trade the loss could be a disaster. This franchise can not afford a turn down now. Despite the teams turn around last year ticket sales were slow to rebound.  

27 minutes ago, Floyd said:

This is a bit confusing... we need Davis because he's been in the system and that's how you develop QBs... but if he doesn't work out, we can just find someone mid-season and plug him in.

On the bright side,, we can always just trade a 7th round pick for Glenn on September 1st...

Developmental qb and back up qb are 2 different things. Thats the issue. How you develop qbs is by playing them. Backing up in the system is how they catch up, not how they progress. 

haha idk will jones or the new regime that replaces him by then make trades with us?

Edited by wbbfan

1 hour ago, Dr. Blue said:

Rush ran 4.5 40, shortly off an ACL. Looks like a long stride runner who can really open up some top speed on the back end of plays. Looks really physical and strong. Hands look great. 

2:21 he runs a short hook, the db grabs the front of his jersey while the ball is mid air pulls him back blocks his left arm so he reaches back and grabs the ball with just his right, while the ball is thrown a little wide of him. Bunch of physical plays and strong catches.  Will be fun to see what he does in camp.

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Josh Celery sounds absolutely like a player I would love... Really hope he makes it. 

Sounds and looks like a real hitter and play maker. Looks like he'd have the versatility to play all over the defense. I worry the PI rules may flush good young talented DBs out of the league pre maturely. Namely the ones who are really physical. Heres hoping.