Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I think that having an untested Davis as our #2 QB is the biggest risk we are taking this year. I'm pretty confident in saying that we will need to start our #2 QB at least a couple of times this year. I'd be much more comfortable if our #2 guy had actually won a CFL game or at had thrown for more then 170 yards.

Last year, Walters understood that we needed a vet backup when he said he wouldn't make the Willy trade without being able to bring a vet QB in. This year we can't afford a vet QB and the out of work backup QB's are expecting #1 QB money.

It's a game and it's still early, Joey Elliott and Alex Brink are still out there too. It all comes down to money and where you want to spend it. Walters is being patient and that's good. At least he's not panicking and looking at the Youngs and Manziels out there.

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I think that having an untested Davis as our #2 QB is the biggest risk we are taking this year. I'm pretty confident in saying that we will need to start our #2 QB at least a couple of times this year. I'd be much more comfortable if our #2 guy had actually won a CFL game or at had thrown for more then 170 yards.

Last year, Walters understood that we needed a vet backup when he said he wouldn't make the Willy trade without being able to bring a vet QB in. This year we can't afford a vet QB and the out of work backup QB's are expecting #1 QB money.

At one point, every single starter that has ever played in the CFL had neither won a game nor thrown more than 170 yards.  The people who make their livelihood as coaches think he might just be ready to step up into the backup spot.  Will there likely be a drop off if Nichols get hurt?  Very likely.  Would there be a drop off if Glenn was backup?  Oh hell, yea.  I'm not thinking that we've taken all that big a risk.  Time will tell. 

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

This is a bit confusing... we need Davis because he's been in the system and that's how you develop QBs... but if he doesn't work out, we can just find someone mid-season and plug him in.

On the bright side,, we can always just trade a 7th round pick for Glenn on September 1st...

Haha, xactly.

14 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

At one point, every single starter that has ever played in the CFL had neither won a game nor thrown more than 170 yards.  The people who make their livelihood as coaches think he might just be ready to step up into the backup spot.  Will there likely be a drop off if Nichols get hurt?  Very likely.  Would there be a drop off if Glenn was backup?  Oh hell, yea.  I'm not thinking that we've taken all that big a risk.  Time will tell. 

The people who make their livelihood as coaches also thought Willy was a starting QB and Brohm was was ready to be the backup.

Look at the backup QB's around the league. Who, other than the Riders, who have Bridge, have #2 QB's with a similar amount of experience as Davis? We rightly ridicule them for overvaluing their players and they aren't the kind of team we want to emulate. We want to be competing with the Stamps and the Eskimos and that means being able to win games if our starting QB goes down. Is Davis that guy? No one knows which is likely the most compelling reason to bring in the best available competition and let them fight it out for the #2 spot, rather than giving Davis the #2 money and the #2 spot without any experienced competition.

Just now, TBURGESS said:

The people who make their livelihood as coaches also thought Willy was a starting QB and Brohm was was ready to be the backup.

Look at the backup QB's around the league. Who, other than the Riders, who have Bridge, have #2 QB's with a similar amount of experience as Davis? We rightly ridicule them for overvaluing their players and they aren't the kind of team we want to emulate. We want to be competing with the Stamps and the Eskimos and that means being able to win games if our starting QB goes down. Is Davis that guy? No one knows which is likely the most compelling reason to bring in the best available competition and let them fight it out for the #2 spot, rather than giving Davis the #2 money and the #2 spot without any experienced competition.

I don't recall reading anywhere where the Bombers suggested that this wouldn't happen.  And as for the experts believing what they did about Willy and Brohm, I'm willing to bet that every team in the league and every expert has done the same sort of thing.  They fix it and move on, just like we did.  But if all you every do is sign guys like Glenn, then that's all you're ever going to get.  If you want to get yourself the next BLM or Reilly, he's likely not going to be any of those guys that are soon to be free agents.

17 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I don't recall reading anywhere where the Bombers suggested that this wouldn't happen.  And as for the experts believing what they did about Willy and Brohm, I'm willing to bet that every team in the league and every expert has done the same sort of thing.  They fix it and move on, just like we did.  But if all you every do is sign guys like Glenn, then that's all you're ever going to get.  If you want to get yourself the next BLM or Reilly, he's likely not going to be any of those guys that are soon to be free agents.

Listen to Walters presser.

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Listen to Walters presser.

He's asked if he's comfortable with Davis as #2, to which he answered he is.  He never said Davis is the #2.  Reporter never asked that question.

Call it semantics or wordplay if you want.  Walters spends most of the interview giving pretty honest answers, but not necessarily fully complete answers.  He reserves the right to keep some cards close to his chest in advance of free agency.

I expect Davis comes into camp loosely slotted as the #2 on the depth chart.  Whether or not a more experienced guy is also in camp will have more to do with how far down the market drives the price tag on those guys.  The longer these guys sit without getting a phone call, the less they will cost.  The less they cost, the greater the chance that a guy with experience can fit into a tight QB budget.  Two of the ones mentioned above are already FA's and there is no buzz about teams showing interest in them.

8 hours ago, mbrg said:

He reserves the right to keep some cards close to his chest in advance of free agency.

no no no, at these press conferences, he must tell us fans everything. All the best details and players he's considering.

How are we supposed to help guide the team without full information on every move he has planned?

9 hours ago, mbrg said:

He's asked if he's comfortable with Davis as #2, to which he answered he is.  He never said Davis is the #2.  Reporter never asked that question.

Call it semantics or wordplay if you want.  Walters spends most of the interview giving pretty honest answers, but not necessarily fully complete answers.  He reserves the right to keep some cards close to his chest in advance of free agency.

I expect Davis comes into camp loosely slotted as the #2 on the depth chart.  Whether or not a more experienced guy is also in camp will have more to do with how far down the market drives the price tag on those guys.  The longer these guys sit without getting a phone call, the less they will cost.  The less they cost, the greater the chance that a guy with experience can fit into a tight QB budget.  Two of the ones mentioned above are already FA's and there is no buzz about teams showing interest in them.

This. Some people don't understand this. Last year we're players for Laurent at some point, and on a surprise moved Bombers backout and scoop Shologan.

11 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

He also says that the available QB's are expecting #1 QB money, which I find hard to believe and that they aren't looking at any of the available QB's. IIRC (Listened to it once a couple of days ago).

I'm pretty sure he was speaking more generally about players in FA when he said that, not specifically about QBs (also listened to it once a couple of days ago).

Edited by Jesse

On Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 9:31 PM, mbrg said:

Not a dumb question.  There is no practical reason for anyone to know that.

Isn't MBT that QB the  bombers brought in for 2 weeks late last year and then released and not on the roster anymore 

M Bethel Thompson or something like that 

Edited by Goalie

On 2/11/2017 at 9:32 PM, TBURGESS said:

He also says that the available QB's are expecting #1 QB money, which I find hard to believe and that they aren't looking at any of the available QB's. IIRC (Listened to it once a couple of days ago).

Hard to know that information without having talked to some agents... I believe Walters is looking at bringing in a QB with some CFL experience... but if guys like Lefavour, Gale, etc are looking at starter money ($250-300k??)... they'll be waiting for a while...

29 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Hard to know that information without having talked to some agents... I believe Walters is looking at bringing in a QB with some CFL experience... but if guys like Lefavour, Gale, etc are looking at starter money ($250-300k??)... they'll be waiting for a while...

The starter money thing isn't exactly correct but it's up for interpretation I guess.  The quote Walter gave was: 

“There’s not a lot of veteran quarterbacks out there who are willing to come in for No. 2-No. 3 type money,”

I'm reading that as those guys want to get paid more like a Tate/Lulay than an actual starter but Walters is looking for someone cheaper since they want Davis in that role.

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

Isn't MBT that QB the  bombers brought in for 2 weeks late last year and then released and not on the roster anymore 

M Bethel Thompson or something like that 

Ed Tait says he'll be in camp, likely along with another "prospect-type"....