Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr Dee

Bombers Training Camp 2017 - May 28

111 posts in this topic

RHÉANNE M.

WINNIPEG, MB., May 11, 2017 –  The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has invited Winnipeg Rifles wide receivers Xander Tachinski (#73) and Brendan Naujoks (#74), running back Michael Ritchott (#76), and defensive back Andrew Ricard (#77) to take part in the club’s three-day rookie camp commencing Wednesday, May 24. The players will continue with the team through the first part of the main training camp.

Tachinski and Ritchott attended part of last season’s rookie camp, and most recently played in their third and fourth years with the Rifles, respectively. Naujoks and Ricard have both spent three seasons with the Rifles.

“The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have continued to try to invest in the growth of younger football players within Manitoba,” said General Manager Kyle Walters. “This will be a great experience for all of them to be on the field with professional players, and to continue to grow as athletes.”

Quarterbacks and CFL newcomers will report to Winnipeg and will be on the field for the opening of rookie camp on Wednesday, May 24th. Veterans report on May 26th and will begin practicing on May 28th.

The Blue Bombers will play two pre-season games:  June 10th at Mosaic Stadium in Regina against the Saskatchewan Roughriders, and June 15th at Investors Group Field against the Edmonton Eskimos.

 
Edited by Mr Dee
wbbfan, Atomic and MOBomberFan like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anxious to see who else the Bombers bring in for QB depth. We should get that announcement any time. Perhaps we could get a word of advice from the QB locator - Mr #noqbiwontlookat Jones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

RHÉANNE M.

WINNIPEG, MB., May 11, 2017 –  The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has invited Winnipeg Rifles wide receivers Xander Tachinski (#73) and Brendan Naujoks (#74), running back Michael Ritchott (#76), and defensive back Andrew Ricard (#77) to take part in the club’s three-day rookie camp commencing Wednesday, May 24. The players will continue with the team through the first part of the main training camp.

 

I remember a lot of people being stoked about Ritchott as a potential CFL player one day... I watched some of his tape (again, I'll reiterate, I don't pretend to be an expert on this stuff) and I thought a lot of his Jr success had to do with playing against inferior competition... he's also pretty small... but hey, I've been wrong once of twice in my life...

Hopefully one of the receivers ends up being PR worthy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I remember a lot of people being stoked about Ritchott as a potential CFL player one day... I watched some of his tape (again, I'll reiterate, I don't pretend to be an expert on this stuff) and I thought a lot of his Jr success had to do with playing against inferior competition... he's also pretty small... but hey, I've been wrong once of twice in my life...

Hopefully one of the receivers ends up being PR worthy...

All this Rifle talk reminded me of this:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/rifles-receiver-goodrich-changes-mind-quits-camp-300622571.html

wbbfan likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BBlink said:

Yeah that was disappointing... I recall he had some nice potential... just looking into these guys a little bit more, they're both quite young and would probably benefit more from some additional seasoning by playing in games than being on the Bombers PR... maybe one day...

BBlink and SPuDS like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Not sure where to put this, but this is as good a spot as any:

 

Blue Bomber Talk @BlueBomberTalk  17m17 minutes ago
 
Numbers for new #Bombers: Matt Coates - 2 Dan LeFevour - 13 Thomas Miles - 52 Tristan Okpalaugo - 54 Faith Ekakitie - 90 Drake Nevis - 92

Ohh boy!!!  The schmidts about to get real!!!

Edited by mbrg
Noeller and SPuDS like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2017 at 7:41 AM, bearpants said:

I remember a lot of people being stoked about Ritchott as a potential CFL player one day... I watched some of his tape (again, I'll reiterate, I don't pretend to be an expert on this stuff) and I thought a lot of his Jr success had to do with playing against inferior competition... he's also pretty small... but hey, I've been wrong once of twice in my life...

Hopefully one of the receivers ends up being PR worthy...

No doubt any time you watch him play you see a lot of bad tackling. Part of that comes from him being a guy who runs hard. He shows excellent quickness for the level. To the point he hits the hole going so fast he can run through arm tackles despite his size. Charles roberts esq. 

Dunno how he will translate to the cfl game. But hes the perfect guy to have in camp. Helps the grass roots, gives us an extra guy to run, catch, do some returning etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ritchott isn't that small for a tailback and he runs with a lot of power.  He's played rugby at a fairly high level and could have continued with that too.  He's not shy about contact or hard work.  The Bombers would be smart to claim him while they can.  I played against and with Harris, I've coached against Ritchott in football and rugby, Ritchott is up there with Harris in terms of pure skill, probably a little more mature in his early 20s than Harris.  Those two and Demski are the absolute terrors with the ball I've seen in this province in my time.  This guy will play in the CFL.

Floyd, bigg jay, WildPath and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Ritchott isn't that small for a tailback and he runs with a lot of power.  He's played rugby at a fairly high level and could have continued with that too.  He's not shy about contact or hard work.  The Bombers would be smart to claim him while they can.  I played against and with Harris, I've coached against Ritchott in football and rugby, Ritchott is up there with Harris in terms of pure skill, probably a little more mature in his early 20s than Harris.  Those two and Demski are the absolute terrors with the ball I've seen in this province in my time.  This guy will play in the CFL.

Hes like what 175 and 5'10? Seems to do a nice job of sinking his hips and running behind his pads at the line though. And with that quickness it makes him a hammer as much as a nail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A short review of the Bomber draft class, who is this review, came in second only to BC in hitting the marks in this year's draft..

"The Bombers added a possible day-one starter in Faith Ekakitie along with two of the best offensive linemen in the draft in Manitoba’s Geoff Gray and McGill’s Qadr Spooner. There is risk associated with the Gray pick – he recently signed with the Green Bay Packers as an undrafted free agent – but his selection at eight could end up being the best pick in the draft if he becomes a Bomber at some point over the next two to three years.

Abubakkar Conteh is seen as arguably the best safety of the class, providing instant depth behind sophomore phenom Taylor Loffler. Menard-Briere could end up being an excellent CFL punter, while Ian Marouf is said to have high-round talent if he commits to a higher level of film study and training.

What holds Winnipeg’s draft class out of the top spot is the lack of a solid receiver prospect. With UBC’s Alex Morrison on the board until the fourth round, there was ample opportunity for the club to pick up a national pass catcher. They didn’t."

http://3downnation.com/2017/05/10/ranking-nine-cfl-draft-classes/

So far Walters has signed 3 of those draft picks, (Ekakitie, Thera-Plamondon and Conteh) and he only has a little over a week, to get the rest under contract before the rookies report, May 24th.

Walters - “A lot of this draft class, realistically, is about us looking at improving the bottom end of our roster and practice roster guys, truth be told,” 

“We’re willing to take some draft picks on guys we really don’t need to come in this year and help us win football games. But let’s develop them for a year and see where they’re at.”

You look at your roster and you want to be able to draft guys who have a chance to make your team,” said Walters. “Guys with potential and higher upside… that’s what we targeted and we can be patient with these guys knowing we’re not expecting these guys to come in and start.

Darrin Bauming - What I'm told about #Bombers QB prospect Austin Apodaca.    "Has a huge arm and is really mobile. I think his game really fits the CFL."
 
Edit - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed National receiver Tylor Henry and National defensive lineman Ian Marouf. Both were selected by Winnipeg in the 2017 CFL Draft.
5 down, three to go
 
Double edit -#Bombers' 34th-overall pick Felix Menard-Briere was not offered a contract by the NY Giants following their recent minicamp, per report. - Bauming
 
Edited by Mr Dee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Edit - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed National receiver Tylor Henry and National defensive lineman Ian Marouf. Both were selected by Winnipeg in the 2017 CFL Draft.

5 down, three to go
 

should really be two to go... Spooner and Menard-Briere... Gray obviously won't be signing this off-season... unless I'm forgetting someone

wbbfan likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mr Dee said:
Darrin Bauming - What I'm told about #Bombers QB prospect Austin Apodaca.    "Has a huge arm and is really mobile. I think his game really fits the CFL."

No kidding! Just watched his 2016 highlight reel, he sure has wheels and can still chuck it on the run. Pretty poised too, standing in and taking hits to make tough throws. I love me some mobile QBs with strong arms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

No kidding! Just watched his 2016 highlight reel, he sure has wheels and can still chuck it on the run. Pretty poised too, standing in and taking hits to make tough throws. I love me some mobile QBs with strong arms.

It looked like the triple option offense really didnt fit well with him despite his speed. Seems more like a scramble to throw and keep the D honest type. Really good looking prospect to groom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wbbfan said:

It looked like the triple option offense really didnt fit well with him despite his speed. Seems more like a scramble to throw and keep the D honest type. Really good looking prospect to groom.

"Groom" is the operative word here. He looks to have all the CFL tools, but the big question is" can he adapt to the CFL game? I would like to know his college GPA to see if he has the smarts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2017 at 5:34 PM, wbbfan said:

Hes like what 175 and 5'10? Seems to do a nice job of sinking his hips and running behind his pads at the line though. And with that quickness it makes him a hammer as much as a nail. 

I think he's closer to 200 pounds now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tracker said:

"Groom" is the operative word here. He looks to have all the CFL tools, but the big question is" can he adapt to the CFL game? I would like to know his college GPA to see if he has the smarts.

The real issue is with how green he is. He played soo little in college its scary. 

Football smarts doesnt allways equate to report card smarts, but that how hard does he work etc all gonna be vital to see if he can stick. For our development guys we really seem to look past experience and the lack of it. Maybe thats the only way we see to get the tool set and up side at QB.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#Bombers open rookie camp a week tomorrow (May 24) with an afternoon practice at Subway Soccer South (at U of M).

 

Team will also hold rookie camp Thursday and Friday morning at Investors Group Field. All times will be announced later this week. #Bombers

Fred C Dobbs and SPuDS like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0