Bombers Training Camp 2017 - May 28

Mr Dee

1 hour ago, Mike said:

It was funny watching Menard-Briere on Sunday. Medlock was kicking 60 yarders and Menard-Briere was warming up for 35 yarders, he saw Medlock start kicking and promptly moved back. I don't think he had the leg for 60, but he was pushing 50 for sure.

He also nailed a few HUGE punts. Had a few ugly ones too, though.

The punting was the book on him when we drafted him, so hopefully he can work out the kinks and give us the flexibility to eventually move back to an NI kicker and free up a DI spot again. Whether that is this year or next I don't know, but it looks like there is some potential there.

1 minute ago, Nash00 said:

The punting was the book on him when we drafted him, so hopefully he can work out the kinks and give us the flexibility to eventually move back to an NI kicker and free up a DI spot again. Whether that is this year or next I don't know, but it looks like there is some potential there.

With 4 DIs I think having a great kicker is possibly the best use of a DI spot.  We saw first hand the impact that Medlock had.  Could an additional backup receiver or linebacker have even remotely close to the same impact on the team?  Even with Medlock you have room for 3 other guys which could be a DB/returner, WR/returner, and additional DL for rotating in.  It would be nice to get a guy like Flanders on the roster but is it worth it for 3-5 carries per game?

Just now, Nash00 said:

In consistency from a rookie kicker should be no surprise. Medlock is great, but he is an import, and getting a bit long in the tooth, so looking ahead is smart. If he has the leg strength, he ought to be able to learn how to place -kick.

6 minutes ago, tracker said:

In consistency from a rookie kicker should be no surprise. Medlock is great, but he is an import, and getting a bit long in the tooth, so looking ahead is smart. If he has the leg strength, he ought to be able to learn how to place -kick.

He is a kicker he can kick at very high level for another 10 years.

6 minutes ago, tracker said:

The floors of heaven are littered with "ought to be's".

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

With 4 DIs I think having a great kicker is possibly the best use of a DI spot.  We saw first hand the impact that Medlock had.  Could an additional backup receiver or linebacker have even remotely close to the same impact on the team?  Even with Medlock you have room for 3 other guys which could be a DB/returner, WR/returner, and additional DL for rotating in.  It would be nice to get a guy like Flanders on the roster but is it worth it for 3-5 carries per game?

Great point.  Import kicker has gone from a position of ratio weakness to one of strength...  

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Question for someone with more knowledge than I - does the use of an NI kicker count towards the ratio?

If so, then I would say that there could be some value to having an RB to spell off Harris or replace him if he gets injured and allow us to keep Hurl where he belongs on special teams.

If not then I would agree that the value of an import kicker, especially one of Medlocks caliber, would be an asset.

And to clarify, I'm not suggesting that we send Medlock packing at all, he is the best player at his position that we have seen in a very long time and it sure is nice to see 3 points walk on the field when we hit 3rd down. But he doesn't play for free and if we are going to try to field a consistent team then there may be a time where the trade off between what we pay for an elite import kicker is outweighed by needs elsewhere on the roster if we have a capable replacement in the wings.

3 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

Question for someone with more knowledge than I - does the use of an NI kicker count towards the ratio?

If so, then I would say that there could be some value to having an RB to spell off Harris or replace him if he gets injured and allow us to keep Hurl where he belongs on special teams.

If not then I would agree that the value of an import kicker, especially one of Medlocks caliber, would be an asset.

And to clarify, I'm not suggesting that we send Medlock packing at all, he is the best player at his position that we have seen in a very long time and it sure is nice to see 3 points walk on the field when we hit 3rd down. But he doesn't play for free and if we are going to try to field a consistent team then there may be a time where the trade off between what we pay for an elite import kicker is outweighed by needs elsewhere on the roster if we have a capable replacement in the wings.

Nope....

22 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So who looked good today? We need some TC reports.

The media has been abysmal in coverage this year. Like entirely awful.

I hate to say it, because I really like Ed Tait, but even his coverage has been minimal. I know they're trying to appeal to the less diehard fans, but I'd really like to see more "who is looking good in competition" and less "who is nicknamed after turds" and "who likes to drive around the country in the offseason"

There are literally players on our roster right now that I have not heard a single thing about all camp. I didn't even know we had one guy named Walker, and apparently we have two. L'Damian Washington ... where's he been? I saw the media say we signed Justice Liggins, but that's about it. Who is Bostic?

It's pathetic. This "new blood" in the media needs to figure it out. Jeff Hamilton ... the guy who replaced Ed Tait ... last time he tweeted about training camp was June 3rd and all he said was "hey, here's a picture that proved I'm actually here!"

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

The media has been abysmal in coverage this year. Like entirely awful.

I hate to say it, because I really like Ed Tait, but even his coverage has been minimal. I know they're trying to appeal to the less diehard fans, but I'd really like to see more "who is looking good in competition" and less "who is nicknamed after turds" and "who likes to drive around the country in the offseason"

There are literally players on our roster right now that I have not heard a single thing about all camp. I didn't even know we had one guy named Walker, and apparently we have two. L'Damian Washington ... where's he been? I saw the media say we signed Justice Liggins, but that's about it. Who is Bostic?

It's pathetic. This "new blood" in the media needs to figure it out. Jeff Hamilton ... the guy who replaced Ed Tait ... last time he tweeted about training camp was June 3rd and all he said was "hey, here's a picture that proved I'm actually here!"

Haven't heard boo word one about Trent Corney throughout camp, and I keep thinking that's a really bad sign 'cause he must not be standing out at all............but..................maybe just really shitty coverage......?

Just now, Noeller said:

Haven't heard boo word one about Trent Corney throughout camp, and I keep thinking that's a really bad sign 'cause he must not be standing out at all............but..................maybe just really shitty coverage......?

I was thinking the same thing ... but have you heard anything about ANYBODY? It's been bad. Other than the quarterbacks, and even that is mostly Nichols ... all we seem to get is "player X is not practicing today"

10 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

It seems like they only focus on who has media availability for the day. Expect a hard hitting report on Normand tonight.

It's all fluff and montages, haven't seen video of a single battle or pass thrown.  Do they restrict video cameras from recording TC on-field activities?  Honestly the CFL needs to pull themselves out of the dark-ages before it's too late.

36 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Picking up on the them of poor coverage, Wiecek was just named to the Manitoba Sportswriters and Sportscasters Hall of Fame. What are the requirements for that place? To have been a member of the media for 5 minutes?

Seriously...? Well, it apparently doesn't take much to get inducted. How absurd. Much like the media coverage of TC so far. It's been deplorable. I expected much more than the craptacular coverage that's been done to this point.

33 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It's all fluff and montages, haven't seen video of a single battle or pass thrown.  Do they restrict video cameras from recording TC on-field activities?  Honestly the CFL needs to pull themselves out of the dark-ages before it's too late.

Even if that's the case, why can't the writers attending camp actually talk to us about what's happening on the field? Who's sticking out, who needs to improve, position battles, surprise newcomers, how the veterans are looking, etc. Substance!

Edited by blue_gold_84

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

If you go check out a practic... The media there pretty much talk amongst themselves and pay very little like zero attention to what's happening on the field. My 2 year old paid more attention than our media did 

yup, pretty sure the day I went Bob Irving and Ed Tait were sitting together in an isolated section from where the fans were allowed to sit (a section over closer to the bomber store) and the whole time they were just chatting it up barely paying attention the the field. But I think that's generally been the norm for media types last while. Seems every year we complain about coverage to some extent 

This year's coverage rivals that of yesteryears but I'm not going to pick on Tait. This year he's got a different slant on the Bombers and he writes excellent articles which help fill a more long term coverage.

What we're missing, and sorely in need of, is the day-to-day doses that we crave.

Where are the comparisons on receivers and who's catching what and looking real smart in doing so?

How are the D-linemen looking? The O-line guys in feeding them off?

Kick returners? Who's doing it?

Aside from the incumbents, who's running wild?

Speaking of Wild, is he being challenged? 

What kind of workouts are happening in day 2? Day 3?

What kind of throws are those QBs making? Are they looking sharp? Or not?

Opinions count. So who are the leading contenders? Who's faltering?

What about the draft picks? The heralded ones? The unheralded?

I think these guys who cover the Bombers have a good idea what is going to happen each day of TC from the briefings, and yet, that's all we get...brief reports..if any.

Do we miss Lawless that much? No. He didn't come though much either.

The sports reporters are in a rut and are going with the status quo. I suppose a little laziness sneaks in too..