Bombers Training Camp 2017 - May 28

Mr Dee

19 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

One cool thing I saw at the end of practice medlock was tossing snaps to Apodaca and recording the holds on his cell phone. Definitely a professional.

I saw that too. Apodaca was switching his hold position from left to right - practicing taking the snap from either side. I have not seen that before. For awhile he was taking the snaps one-handed: catching the ball in his right hand and smacking it down for the hold. Guy has obviously done this before.

Earlier in the 12x12s Santos-Knox snagged a nice i/c off a throw by Davis - receiver had the ball but popped it up and Santos-Knox was in the right place with good reaction to snag it. I was surprised to see an LB covering deep like that. Pic was not the Qbs fault. In fact, I thought Davis looked good today. Took most the reps from what I could see. He was putting the ball in tight spaces and looks very comfortable running with it if necessary (and sometimes when it is planned). I was sorry to see G Sheppard and TJ Thorpe still nursing their wounds on the sidelines. At least Sheppard had his helmet along today. Clock could be ticking on those guys. They are not going to make this team from the tub. But then, there is an extra week of "camp" due to the 1st week bye. New guy, #74 Daniel Williams I think he is, made a great grab on a bullet from Davis. That guys looks very smooth considering he has only been here a couple of days. I had a brief chat with Julian Feoli-Gudino. I gotta say that guy has made some clutch catches for this club in game action, and looks pretty consistent to me. He said the players are expecting big things this year, fans are going to be in for a treat. It is a bit hard to see nuances on the sidelines at field level - players seem more vocal than I have seen in previous TCs,

Edited by Doublezero

5 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

I saw that too. Apodaca was switching his hold position from left to right - practicing taking the snap from either side. I have not seen that before. For awhile he was taking the snaps one-handed: catching the ball in his right hand and smacking it down for the hold. Guy has obviously done this before.

Earlier in the 12x12s Santos-Knox snagged a nice i/c off a throw by Davis - receiver had the ball but popped it up and Santos-Knox was in the right place with good reaction to snag it. I was surprised to see an LB covering deep like that. Pic was not the Qbs fault. In fact, I thought Davis looked good today. Took most the reps from what I could see. He was putting the ball in tight spaces and looks very comfortable running with it if necessary (and sometimes when it is planned). I was sorry to see G Sheppard and TJ Thorpe still nursing their wounds on the sidelines. At least Sheppard had his helmet along today. Clock could be ticking on those guys. They are not going to make this team from the tub. But then, there is an extra week of "camp" due to the 1st week bye. New guy, #74 Daniel Williams I think he is, made a great grab on a bullet from Davis. That guys looks very smooth considering he has only been here a couple of days. I had a brief chat with Julian Feoli-Gudino. I gotta say that guy has made some clutch catches for this club in game action, and looks pretty consistent to me. He said the players are expecting big things this year, fans are going to be excited.

Looks like we had very similar experiences lol, I also had a chat with JFG, solid guy.

8 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

Looks like we had very similar experiences lol, I also had a chat with JFG, solid guy.

Nice! Yes I am a fan of JFG. There was a game 2015, I think vs Hamilton - he made a clutch catch in the dying seconds for a big win. But he has made a significant number of clutch grabs even though he does not see the ball go his way too often. The thing I like is that he appears to be fearless. And also dependable. Very few drops or bobbles. JFG always fights hard for possession if contested. That drove me crazy about Kohlert last year - ball kept sailing through his hands and into the waiting mitts of a defender at the most inopportune moments.

Edited by Doublezero

4 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Nice! Yes I am a fan of JFG. There was a game 2015, I think vs Hamilton - he made a clutch catch in the dying seconds for a big win. But he has made a significant number of clutch grabs even though he does not see the ball go his way too often. The thing I like is that he appears to be fearless. And also dependable. Very few drops or bobbles. JFG always fights hard for possession if contested. That drove me crazy about Kohlert last year - ball kept sailing through his hands and into the waiting mitts of a defender at the most inopportune moments.

Sounded like Kohlert was having trouble hanging onto the ball last night in Calgary's pre-season game.  They've got a few good Canadian receivers over there (Parker, Brescacin, Durant) so it wouldn't surprise me to see him out of a job when the season arrives.  It's too bad, he was so good for awhile here.

21 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Cmonnnnn...how do you not remember that? JFG dropped a sure thing on the previous play, then goes down to the goal line and goes WAY up to make a ridiculous catch, during which he gets absolutely leveled by the DB/LB, but still comes down with it. Then they go into the endzone with a rainbow pass to Garrett that he somehow comes up with, for the winning score. Was one of the most remarkable comebacks in recent memory and helped create the whole "Willy-peg" thing of 2015...

One more thing on the pick by Santos-Knox. I happened to be standing really close by so had near perfect view. He was downfield covering 30-35 yds from the LOS. Receiver had position on him and it was a nice throw to the outside over the defenders head. Santos-Knox was was beaten, playing catch-up. BUT he stayed with the play. You could see a flash of deflation in his eyes and body language when the receiver extended to make contact the with ball. But then it bounced off the receiver and Santos-Knox was in just the right spot - kept running and didn't let up - and had the presence of mind and quick reflexes to snag it. That was a good football play and shows that if you play through with effort and don't let up - good things can happen. So great. Football is here again! Also, I assumed Santos-Knox was playing WIL LB. But I did not see the defensive formation at the snap. He could have been playing halfback.

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Cmonnnnn...how do you not remember that? JFG dropped a sure thing on the previous play, then goes down to the goal line and goes WAY up to make a ridiculous catch, during which he gets absolutely leveled by the DB/LB, but still comes down with it. Then they go into the endzone with a rainbow pass to Garrett that he somehow comes up with, for the winning score. Was one of the most remarkable comebacks in recent memory and helped create the whole "Willy-peg" thing of 2015...

Beauty! Thanks for filling in those details. I never did see that actual game but listened to it on radio from somewhere in the US - Montana I think. I just remember JFG made the catch of a lifetime and helped nail down a big comeback. :) Speaking of former #5. It'll be interesting to see if Drew Willy can make progress Toronto if Ricky goes down. I was never, ever, a Drew Willy fan. So if, by some miracle, he turns it around in Toronto, I will be shocked and there will be some crow to be swallowed.

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I remember I was standing in line for a beer at Dodger Stadium streaming the audio to this on my phone at the time. Freaked out when Julian came down with that pass, Bobby Irving had a great call for it too.

I also think that it was Quincy McDuffie who burned us for a long return TD to set us back in that game.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I remember I was standing in line for a beer at Dodger Stadium streaming the audio to this on my phone at the time. Freaked out when Julian came down with that pass, Bobby Irving had a great call for it too.

I also think that it was Quincy McDuffie who burned us for a long return TD to set us back in that game.

Yep, that was in 2014.

Dan Lefouver was the QB I believe for Hamilton.  

I was home on summer holidays and hanging out at that bar in Portage Place....is it called Shark Club? A group of us had this semi-private room in there, so it was just us and some other Bombers fans watching the game and absolutely losing our ****. That was a ridiculous, drunk night...

4 minutes ago, holoman said:

No, the game that you're thinking of  was in week 3 of that year, yes JFG caught a TD pass to win the game against the Als in the dying seconds

Oh ok...seems like he's been clutch a few times. Looking forward to what he can do if given a full season.

40 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I could be wrong but I believe that was Nic Grigsby.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Oh ok...seems like he's been clutch a few times. Looking forward to what he can do if given a full season.

I wouldn't call him clutch, but  I'd refer to him as somewhat reliable.  These are  clutch catches, yes, but in a span of 3 seasons, I'd need more. 

3 minutes ago, holoman said:

I wouldn't call him clutch, but  I'd refer to him as somewhat reliable.  These are  clutch catches, yes, but in a span of 3 seasons, I'd need more. 

There absolutley have been more. Maybe not all game winners. But first downs etc he's done it since he put on Blue and Gold.

Had lunch with a guy today who played with Jade Etienne at U of S.  He said that the Bombers drafting Jade at #4 is still one of the biggest jokes in CFL history.  He's never played with a softer player.  He also played a lot against Addison Richards and as an outside linebacker and "beat up on him a lot".  His assessment of Richards - "not quite as soft as Etienne".  Real ringing endorsement. 

3 hours ago, Doublezero said:

One more thing on the pick by Santos-Knox. I happened to be standing really close by so had near perfect view. He was downfield covering 30-35 yds from the LOS. Receiver had position on him and it was a nice throw to the outside over the defenders head. Santos-Knox was was beaten, playing catch-up. BUT he stayed with the play. You could see a flash of deflation in his eyes and body language when the receiver extended to make contact the with ball. But then it bounced off the receiver and Santos-Knox was in just the right spot - kept running and didn't let up - and had the presence of mind and quick reflexes to snag it. That was a good football play and shows that if you play through with effort and don't let up - good things can happen. So great. Football is here again! Also, I assumed Santos-Knox was playing WIL LB. But I did not see the defensive formation at the snap. He could have been playing halfback.

Incredible description of an int play. You described it well so that I was "there".