Bombers Training Camp 2017 - May 28

Mr Dee

Just now, Noeller said:

A sad day indeed, when our best media coverage of the Bomber camp comes from the Sun.

Lemme get this straight. Is it true there is no progressive cut down off the trading camp players this year? That is to say, the cuts and roster reduction will not be made until the final days just before he beginning of the regular season? New rule? 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

good for smalley, but who are these couple of year vets that he knows the playbook better than after two weeks?

Smalley's ability to process the playbook hasn't been lost on the coaching staff.

“He's smart,” said Blue Bombers defensive co-ordinator Richie Hall. “He's only been here a short time, but being up at the board, he knows more than some of the vets who have been here the last couple of years.

6 hours ago, Gotmilt said:

Can confirm Darrin Bauming looks like the only reporter actually watching any practice, has a guy on a laptop taking notes I believe.

Bob Irving showed up at the very end at the same time as Sara Orlesky for interviews.

I think we can cut Bob some slack here...this is his 87th training camp...

Great article.

but yeah, I haven't heard a couple of those names before today. Tahaan Goodman had 2 picks? Who is that?

Great article.

but yeah, I haven't heard a couple of those names before today. Tahaan Goodman had 2 picks? Who is that?

Irving has an article as well,  touches on Smalley but also L'Damian Washington 

http://globalnews.ca/news/3511227/two-newcomers-turning-heads-in-blue-bomber-camp/

As the Winnipeg Blue bombers made final preparations for Saturday’s opening pre-season game in Regina, two players who joined training camp late have really pushed themselves into the mix.

Matt Smalley, a defensive back and kick returner from tiny Lafayette college in Pennsylvania, has only been in Winnipeg for 4 days, but both head coach Mike O’Shea and defensive co-ordinator Richie Hall were singing his praises on Wednesday.

“First he’s smart.  He’s only been here a short time but he already knows more than some of the vets who have been here for the last couple of years.  He’s very confident and when you have it figured out mentally, you can play fast, and that’s what he has shown” said Hall.

On the other side of the ball, 6-foot 4-inch L’Damian Washington has turned heads since arriving on May 31st.  Washington played at Missouri and has been with 7 NFL clubs since graduating.  He also spent some time last year on Edmonton’s practice roster.  “He picked up the play book very well, knew his stuff very well, he’s fast, very fast, and given his height, that’s an interesting combination.  He has made some excellent catches the last couple of days and now we will get him in a game and see how he does” said O’Shea.

O’Shea says the pre-season game tell the final tale on all the newcomers.  How they perform when the lights come on is always the ultimate test.  And that first test for the Bombers comes Saturday night in Regina.

It’s CJOB’s first football broadcast of 2017 with the pre-game show at 6p

http://3downnation.com/2017/06/07/neg-list-trade-with-bombers-lands-argos-intriguing-quarterback/

It seems MBT who went to that spring league thing down south was dealt to the argos. It says neg list, but i dont think that would be right since he had previously signed up here. Dunno though. Kind of an odd situation. Would much rather have apodaca then mbt though so it works out.

53 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

http://3downnation.com/2017/06/07/neg-list-trade-with-bombers-lands-argos-intriguing-quarterback/

It seems MBT who went to that spring league thing down south was dealt to the argos. It says neg list, but i dont think that would be right since he had previously signed up here. Dunno though. Kind of an odd situation. Would much rather have apodaca then mbt though so it works out.

I guess they can add a guy back on to the neg list if they only sign him to the practice roster?

The DB, Eric Patterson, whose rights we apparently acquired is a free agent who spent time in the NFL with the Patriots, Rams and Browns before being released by the Browns in training camp 2016.

Edited by Atomic

11 hours ago, Rod Black said:

Lemme get this straight. Is it true there is no progressive cut down off the trading camp players this year? That is to say, the cuts and roster reduction will not be made until the final days just before he beginning of the regular season? New rule? 

Been talked about on here for at least the last month....Board of Governor's implemented for this year...

8 hours ago, wbbfan said:

We have to get used to other teams looking at and using our cuts on their teams.  For QBs, it's been a long time since that's happened with success.  If MBT and Bennett stick, that would be a first in a long time (please don't bring up Joey E).  We're seeing it with receivers (Ricky Collins, possibly Mayo). Walters and the WBB are showing to have a good scouting network.   Other teams are realizing it.  The Esks, the Stamps, the Lions all had periods where they led the scouting, now we're starting to do that.

Short practice today, lots of chirping from the dbs. Only pick I saw today was by number 78, not on my program, believe it was a rifles player.

Dresser and Denmark just get open everywhere. Defence looked strong again today, everybody flying to the ball. 

Davis threw a beautiful corner route to Yachison right over the shoulder, beat Roc by an inch for a touchdown. 

Gonna be real close between Davis and Lefevour for backup imo. 

Defensive tackles came to the sidelines, Really like our Canadians, really like Ekakitie and Rupert Butcher is absolutely massive. Knocking over the sled with a club every time. If Butcher can improve his footwork, look out.

nothing much else, all the reporters were there, Wicek spent the whole time talking about anything but football and was sitting behind the players wearing his dress clothes and lofers in +30 so I don't know how he could see anything. Formal apology to Bob Irving he and Tait were both there watching the whole time along with Bauming as well.

Edited by Gotmilt

19 hours ago, Atomic said:

I guess they can add a guy back on to the neg list if they only sign him to the practice roster?

The DB, Eric Patterson, whose rights we apparently acquired is a free agent who spent time in the NFL with the Patriots, Rams and Browns before being released by the Browns in training camp 2016.

Yeah i have no idea how that worked. I thought once a player signed up here they could no long be neg listed. Its a deal we didnt seem to hear about at the time. May have been some thing like we had a gentlemens agreement with MBT, they wanted him we were liking young guys like apodaca so they traded neg listers and ended the gentlemens agreement. I really dont know the rules around that very well. He's a db, if we want him im sure hes a beast. :lol:

10 hours ago, ALuCsRED said:

We have to get used to other teams looking at and using our cuts on their teams.  For QBs, it's been a long time since that's happened with success.  If MBT and Bennett stick, that would be a first in a long time (please don't bring up Joey E).  We're seeing it with receivers (Ricky Collins, possibly Mayo). Walters and the WBB are showing to have a good scouting network.   Other teams are realizing it.  The Esks, the Stamps, the Lions all had periods where they led the scouting, now we're starting to do that.

Thats the truth. I mean the riders picked a gooder off us last year. We had that QB from i wanna say syracuse who came in with a lot of hype and was very quickly cut. Went to the als n a couple other places. 

So far, we havent had much pan out at DE, wr, qb etc for rookies. But you cant knock the talent level of the guys weve brought in at those positions. You watch video and read up on guys you didnt know about and sit in awe most times at how talented the guy they dug up was. Or they bring in some one like davis and are left a gap "he is coming up here soo soon?" In the past under some regimes guys with a top tier skill or two, or prestigious college career etc would pretty much make the team or pr before camp began. It seems in comparison half the teams in camp under taman etc were TCF. Every one we bring in seems to have the ability/potential to start/star.  

Get this guy to answer that neg. list question for you....

NEWEST MEMBER
EdTait. ?
Joined 3 hours ago

"We give you, as an example, receiver Ryan Lankford.

Now, some Canadian Football League diehards will recognize Lankford’s name; he spent parts of the last two seasons with the Saskatchewan Roughriders and suited up for eight games last year, pulling in 19 passes for 165 yards before being released in late October.

And then his phone went silent.

His agent sent his highlight tape out to teams all over the pro-football map, and still nothing. So Lankford did next what many desperate to chase their dream do: he drove six hours from his home in Jacksonville to a Blue Bombers free agent camp in Miami this January, plunked down $100 bucks to participate, laced up his cleats and got to work."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2017/06/08/training-camp-day-12-opportunity/ - Ed Tait

Edited by Mr Dee