Bombers Training Camp 2017 - May 28

Mr Dee

Had the same initial reaction but I'm hoping it's only because they want to give one of these guys a legit shot at the #1 spot.  They know what we'll get from Hurl so let's see what these guys can do when the lights come on.

I also think it's fitting we're playing the Riders because that receiving core (outside of Stafford) is very green!

Just now, Mike said:

Immediately I'm nervous that Hurl isn't going.

I'm not. We know basically as fact that he'll be on the team, and the coaches already know what he brings. Let the other two guys get all the reps tomorrow.

I find it interesting that Temple is starting at wil. That doesn't seem like a great sign for him in the mlb battle. Stone must be impressing. He definitely has the prototypical mlb build.

yeah me too. Hoping that isn't an indication that he is the projected starter at the moment.

But on the flip side, if that Johnson is the real deal at DT, or another impact import  we could actually have Hurl out there with not a lot of issues

I think with our D-line with Wety, Nevis and Oko and another strong dominant tackle they could cause so much havoc and eliminate a lot of the untouched runs until the second level  that a guy like Hurl wouldn't get washed out and actually be in his gap as they claimed and become support more than the center of the attack.

Rotate in a Corney, Ekakite, Butcher, Thomas to spell off an import and u could sub out Hurl as well in those packages and still maintain the ratio.

Still would prefer an Amerk Thumper up the gut, but this could be adequate initially

but this is what pre-season is for...get a feel for the guys who are new and you are not sure about...the knowns are just that known...they can knock of the rust in game 2, and show they are better than un upstart that showed well in game 1 and may get a second chance in game 2 to cement it...

and really...sask will be filled with a lot of nobodies as well, and as foe established quality veterans, they prob only have about 12 tops anyway

23 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah me too. Hoping that isn't an indication that he is the projected starter at the moment.

But on the flip side, if that Johnson is the real deal at DT, or another impact import  we could actually have Hurl out there with not a lot of issues

I think with our D-line with Wety, Nevis and Oko and another strong dominant tackle they could cause so much havoc and eliminate a lot of the untouched runs until the second level  that a guy like Hurl wouldn't get washed out and actually be in his gap as they claimed and become support more than the center of the attack.

Rotate in a Corney, Ekakite, Butcher, Thomas to spell off an import and u could sub out Hurl as well in those packages and still maintain the ratio.

Still would prefer an Amerk Thumper up the gut, but this could be adequate initially

Playing 3 import D-lineman and 3 import O-lineman just doesn't seem like a sustainable approach, I'd rather play Thomas/Butcher/Ekakitie than roll with mediocrity in Hurl, who is a cut below Bass in performance.  If they really want to keep "Poop" to backup Nevis, replace Scott who has been virtually invisible since his arrival.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Playing 3 import D-lineman and 3 import O-lineman just doesn't seem like a sustainable approach, I'd rather play Thomas/Butcher/Ekakitie than roll with mediocrity in Hurl, who is a cut below Bass in performance.  If they really want to keep "Poop" to backup Nevis, replace Scott who has been virtually invisible since his arrival.

i don't know, Bass was pretty bad last night if you watched the game.

Just watching Ekakitie move I'm liking him more and more , guy seems like a professional and dedicated to improving. I'm willing to give Hurl a chance, don't think he'll be a typical starter on every play but could be useful.

Jake Thomas looks a little weak but is pretty quick and has good feet.

Butcher is just the opposite, this dude is probably the second or third biggest guy on the team behind Hardrick and Bond.

Edited by Gotmilt

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

interesting point... not that you were trying to start this debate... but what is the better sum of parts?.... 2 dominant* import DTs with Hurl (or Miles) at MLB or a better import MLB with the Canadian rotating in at DT... If the D-line can mitigate runners getting to the next level, it reduces the need for a major thumper at MLB... just some food for thought/conversation...

*to be determined

8 minutes ago, bearpants said:

interesting point... not that you were trying to start this debate... but what is the better sum of parts?.... 2 dominant* import DTs with Hurl (or Miles) at MLB or a better import MLB with the Canadian rotating in at DT... If the D-line can mitigate runners getting to the next level, it reduces the need for a major thumper at MLB... just some food for thought/conversation...

*to be determined

I'm also biased, I really want to see how Corney, Butcher and Ekakitie work out on the D-Line.  If they can't create pressure then okay, 3 imports gives them another path to pursue. 

13 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

Real question, who on this board would trade any of our qbs for any of the riders qbs? Personally I think it's a wash so far between Apocada and Bennett but Davis and Lefevour are far more promising than Glenn and Brandon Bridge

I think the competition is between Bennett and Davis at this point to see which one eventually morphs into a starter. Apodaca is still in kindergarten.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

23 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think the competition is between Bennett and Davis at this point to see which one eventually morphs into a starter. Apodaca is still in kindergarten.

I agree, however I said which would you rather have not who is better. Obviously if you needed to win a game you're not sticking in Apodaca over Glenn but in the long term I'd rather have our guys.