Brushes With Celebrities

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah, is he still doing time? With the Canadian justice system, I'm sure he was out years ago. 

Brian Jack was tried three times in Christine’s killing. In 1997, three appeals later, Jack walked away a free man, despite being convicted of manslaughter, after the Supreme Court of Canada ruled it would be an abuse of process to try him again.

http://winnipegsun.com/2013/12/15/she-was-everything-to-me-says-sister-of-christine-jack-25-years-later/wcm/8900f403-1a56-418b-8a96-199824f3b4a8

Tough to achieve a guilty verdict without a body.  It can be done, but you need some kind of evidence.  That's how they were able to charge that guy who murdered those old people in Alberta a few years ago, even though they never found the bodies.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Brian Jack was tried three times in Christine’s killing. In 1997, three appeals later, Jack walked away a free man, despite being convicted of manslaughter, after the Supreme Court of Canada ruled it would be an abuse of process to try him again.

http://winnipegsun.com/2013/12/15/she-was-everything-to-me-says-sister-of-christine-jack-25-years-later/wcm/8900f403-1a56-418b-8a96-199824f3b4a8

Tough to achieve a guilty verdict without a body.  It can be done, but you need some kind of evidence.  That's how they were able to charge that guy who murdered those old people in Alberta a few years ago, even though they never found the bodies.

I remember a cop friend telling my father that the kids saw 'something' in the kitchen but they could not put them on the stand due to age.

Lets see. I've met a number of musicians. Probably the most elusive being James Hetfield from Metallica. He was actually quite friendly. Aside from musicians, about 10 years ago I went to Coachella (I know, I know, but Rage Against The Machine was playing for the first time in like 8 years). That place is overflowing with celebrities. The most notable thing I saw was a shirtless Danny DeVito doing a Hulk Hogan posedown for a group of fans. That dude likes to party...

20 hours ago, ediger said:

Lets see. I've met a number of musicians. Probably the most elusive being James Hetfield from Metallica. He was actually quite friendly. Aside from musicians, about 10 years ago I went to Coachella (I know, I know, but Rage Against The Machine was playing for the first time in like 8 years). That place is overflowing with celebrities. The most notable thing I saw was a shirtless Danny DeVito doing a Hulk Hogan posedown for a group of fans. That dude likes to party...

Image result for danny devito shirtless pose

5 hours ago, Mark F said:

what was that like? How were they? Seem powerful on videos.

It was one of the most intense shows I've ever seen. They were definitely a bit rusty, some of the songs were a bit slower than they should have been, but it didn't really matter. The night before RATM played, the county sent in about 200 police officers in full riot gear to surround the campground. Didn't really do anything, they just kinda let everyone know they were there. Made for a slightly tense scenario. The day of Rage's performance, about 10,000 people flooded over the fences into the festival grounds where there were already about 75,000 people. Again, the cops had the place surrounded the entire time along with off-duty Marines working private security. Again, made for a pretty tense situation. It took about 5 seconds into their first song before people started lighting fires. Nothing too huge, there wasn't much around to burn I suppose. It wasn't a Woodstock '99 type of scene. Most of that might sound pretty unenjoyable but it kind of completes the whole Rage Against the Machine live experience. They played a really good selection of songs and generally seemed pretty pleased to be playing together again. Overall, happy I did it as a 20 year old.

11 hours ago, ediger said:

It was one of the most intense shows I've ever seen. They were definitely a bit rusty, some of the songs were a bit slower than they should have been, but it didn't really matter. The night before RATM played, the county sent in about 200 police officers in full riot gear to surround the campground. Didn't really do anything, they just kinda let everyone know they were there. Made for a slightly tense scenario. The day of Rage's performance, about 10,000 people flooded over the fences into the festival grounds where there were already about 75,000 people. Again, the cops had the place surrounded the entire time along with off-duty Marines working private security. Again, made for a pretty tense situation. It took about 5 seconds into their first song before people started lighting fires. Nothing too huge, there wasn't much around to burn I suppose. It wasn't a Woodstock '99 type of scene. Most of that might sound pretty unenjoyable but it kind of completes the whole Rage Against the Machine live experience. They played a really good selection of songs and generally seemed pretty pleased to be playing together again. Overall, happy I did it as a 20 year old.

The level of jealousy that I have right now is off the charts, lol.  I would love to have seen Rage play.  There was a show... probably 10 years ago in North Dakota? Maybe Minneapolis.. at an election rally..  it was hush-hush and I on;y found out about it 2 days before so I wasn't able to go..  Wish I would have as I doubt the chance to see them now is slim to none.. I know they are back "touring" so to speak but I won't have the 5k to travel to where ever they are going to be performing and see them :(

14 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

The level of jealousy that I have right now is off the charts, lol. 

I went to Minneapolis by train, to see Hendrix play .

Saw him at an arena somewhere or other down there.

It was a bit of a pain, but I've always been glad that I got to see Jimi perform live. 

Took the train to Montreal to see the Butterfield blues band Lol. (celebrity brush, met Elvin Bishop, starry eyed kid I was, he invited me and I went over their place  the next day, what a nice guy he is; Played me a tune he was working on which ended up on Better Days album)

Edited by Mark F

5 hours ago, SPuDS said:

The level of jealousy that I have right now is off the charts, lol.  I would love to have seen Rage play.  There was a show... probably 10 years ago in North Dakota? Maybe Minneapolis.. at an election rally..  it was hush-hush and I on;y found out about it 2 days before so I wasn't able to go..  Wish I would have as I doubt the chance to see them now is slim to none.. I know they are back "touring" so to speak but I won't have the 5k to travel to where ever they are going to be performing and see them :(

My brother went to that show. Apparently it was quite the atmosphere. Also went to Wisconsin to see Rage with Queens of the Stone Age at some outdoor amphitheatre they have just outside of Milwaukee. It was a super good show but it had rained for two weeks straight before the show, rained through the entire thing and the general admission area (which we were in) was a grass hill. And when I saw was, I mean prior to the rain. It was just a giant mud slide by the time we got there :P

5 hours ago, Mark F said:

I went to Minneapolis by train, to see Hendrix play .

Saw him at an arena somewhere or other down there.

It was a bit of a pain, but I've always been glad that I got to see Jimi perform live. 

Took the train to Montreal to see the Butterfield blues band Lol. (celebrity brush, met Elvin Bishop, starry eyed kid I was, he invited me and I went over their place  the next day, what a nice guy he is; Played me a tune he was working on which ended up on Better Days album)

I did a decent amount of travelling in my early 20s to see all the bands I really wanted to see. Some horrible experiences along the way (anyone ever take a Greyhound to Nashville and back?) but in retrospect, I couldn't be happier that I actually did it. It was maybe the one period in my life where I had the time, some disposable cash, the freedom and the energy to do those sorts of trips. Even at 30, I don't think I could do something like the Bonnaroo festival where you're camping in Tennessee in the June humidity for 4 days with music blaring from all directions 24 hours a day. I mean, I saw a band play from 3:00 until 6:30 am at that festival and still caught the 10:00am Conan O'Brien show. I'd like to think I could still do it, but hell no.

• 1 month later...

I guess an upside to working in a school library is that we get to book local celebrities for I Love To Read Month. Earlier this month we got Gord Leclerc of CTV Winnipeg and today we had a former Bomber read to the kids (gold jersey era player) his last name was Jones, I never caught his first name it started with J

Edited by iHeart

12 minutes ago, iHeart said:

I guess an upside to working in a school library is that we get to book local celebrities for I Love To Read Month. Earlier this month we got Gord Leclaric (or is it Leclarec?) of CTV Winnipeg and today we had a former Bomber read to the kids (gold jersey era player) his last name was Jones, I never caught his first name it started with J

Jermese Jones 

https://www.canadianfootballcards.com/products/jermese-jones-cfl-card-2004-jogo-90-winnipeg-blue-bombers-virginia-cavaliers 

And its Gord Leclerc.

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

I guess an upside to working in a school library is that we get to book local celebrities for I Love To Read Month. Earlier this month we got Gord Leclerc of CTV Winnipeg and today we had a former Bomber read to the kids (gold jersey era player) his last name was Jones, I never caught his first name it started with J

We had Gord Leclerc do a wrestling show with us. He’s a great guy!

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:02 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

This happened to my father's friends. They were out in Lake of the Woods snowmobiling when they came upon a guy whose machine had broken down. They brought him back to his cottage in tow and promised them some booze for the favor.

He brings them into his cabin and says to his significant, "Hey Goldie, get these guys some beers!"

the guy was living with mayor Goldie Wilson?

• 1 year later...