Red zone

Red zone production for the offense needs to be better, specifically through the air. Hopefully, an additional camp and pre-season help the chemistry with the offense and they can build off that cohesiveness as the season progresses. Also thinking LaPolice may have added some tricks to his repertoire.

Lapo tends to get more conservative the closer the offence gets to the end zone.  Most of our touchdowns come from big plays outside the red zone that either end up in the end zone or at the one yard line where we can just punch it in.  Or Andrew Harris runs it in through sheer force of will.  I'd like to see us be a little more aggressive in the red zone but with that comes increased chance for turnovers.

we definitely left a lot of points on the field last year.  I don't doubt that lapo will do the best he can to correct that.

he knows as well as we do that you can't win many games by kicking field goals. 

4 hours ago, Atomic said:

Lapo tends to get more conservative the closer the offence gets to the end zone.  Most of our touchdowns come from big plays outside the red zone that either end up in the end zone or at the one yard line where we can just punch it in.  Or Andrew Harris runs it in through sheer force of will.  I'd like to see us be a little more aggressive in the red zone but with that comes increased chance for turnovers.

You may be right but that TD pass to Matt Nichols from Rory Kohlert was a thing of beauty.

13 minutes ago, Sard said:

I find this conversation very interesting considering this tweet yesterday from Derek Taylor:

No question it could be better, but he's ranked right up there in the top 5 for red-zone passing.

If you measure it by passer rating like Taylor seems to do...he's top 3. Burris retired so top 2 active QBS.  And if you look at attempts.. well we were there the 2nd most in the league also. It's interesting to see that chart.  Definitely need more production in the red zone tho. MORE TDS. LESS FGS. 

9 minutes ago, Goalie said:

If you measure it by passer rating like Taylor seems to do...he's top 3. Burris retired so top 2 active QBS.  And if you look at attempts.. well we were there the 2nd most in the league also. It's interesting to see that chart.  Definitely need more production in the red zone tho. MORE TDS. LESS FGS. 

MORE TDS #ForTheW!!!

8 hours ago, Noeller said:

That corner route to Denny works nearly flawlessly, but I'm curious how often they can go to that well before people start shutting it down...

That's what I've been wondering for years. That's Denmarks speciality. It's surprising how many times he's able to get open running that route. Imagine if he had Ricky Ray in his prime, he'd score 15 tds a year. 

He varies his break, speed, when he makes his move. He is a super smart receiver and tends to not give away common tendencies.

He's also very fast, not sure if people realize it and his cuts are fluid and smooth and he loses no speed when making his moves so he tends to break free easily

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I've never played any kind of organized football, so I don't know enough to know enough: What is it about how he runs that, that makes it so effective? 

It's impossible (nearly) to cover. He's running away from the defender and, as long as the QB puts it in the right place, the defender can't get close enough without risking PI.

It's also unique to the CFL because of the size of the endzone. The NFL sees a lot more on the line, reaching out of bounds, type passes.

EDIT: Also, the defender can't cheat because Denmark can just turn and the defender would be stuck way out there, leaving Denmark for an wide open catch.

Denmark is great at running routes.

Edited by JCon

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I've never played any kind of organized football, so I don't know enough to know enough: What is it about how he runs that, that makes it so effective? 

The playbook and Denmark are likely very good at setting it up. Running something that looks like he's going to run that route, but then running something else. Especially because he's been so good at it for his entire BB career (1st Career TD was on that route from Buck). So I'd imagine there's a lot of setup for that route before he runs it. What makes it even more impressive, is that he can usually get completions on that route multiple times a game.

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

He varies his break, speed, when he makes his move. He is a super smart receiver and tends to not give away common tendencies.

He's also very fast, not sure if people realize it and his cuts are fluid and smooth and he loses no speed when making his moves so he tends to break free easily

This is the biggest thing, in my mind. If a DB watches film, they'll see him make his break at so many different points that it's nearly impossible to cover it closely and as you said, he loses zero speed when he does it. It's such a fluid, unanticipatable (is that a word?) movement.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

This is the biggest thing, in my mind. If a DB watches film, they'll see him make his break at so many different points that it's nearly impossible to cover it closely and as you said, he loses zero speed when he does it. It's such a fluid, ___unanticipatable_ (is that a word?) movement.

'hard to anticipate'...would have been better...........Denny just has a knack to get open....a lot like Dressler..very deceptive