Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

I think it depends entirely on who you have as part of your staff and how much work is delegated. He can have all the labels he wants but if he's trying to do ALL of those jobs, then I don't think it works. 

There are not enough hours in the day do all the work that Walters does and all the work that O'Shea does.

Thats a good point. And I think the way our front office seems to do it and to work with our coaching staff is about as good as you can hope for. 

Dunigan in calgary is a good example of it going poorly. He was really doing all the jobs him self, and stretched too thin. I still think he would be great as a coach. But doing all those full time jobs is insane. 

14 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Although maybe a bit premature to talk about errors before his team is on the field and actually playing games.  But I'll be surprised if they have anything more than a few isolated sparks of success in 2017, I'm getting the feeling they're facing a nightmare of MackBurkian proportions there. 

here's the record last season Bombers v Sask. Not exactly a beat down.

Sept 4  Wpg 28, Sask 25.

Sept. 10 Wpg 17 Sask 10.

Edited by Mark F

Riders: 6 to 8 wins. No playoffs but success and vindication declared whilst they watch everyone else in West play in Nov and fantasize about future.

Jones and his helper monkeys spin another sub 500 year into "we' re close" despite all the assurances high Rider standards would never tolerate another losing season

Just a prediction,  mind you

Edited by Zontar

File under "know thine enemy".

Bryan Bennett unofficially is 9-for-9 for 121 yards with two TDS in the Roughriders' mock game.

Bryan Bennett was the best QB going 10/11 with 3 TDs. He did have one interception and another called off on illegal contact.

VY was 6/10 by my count with 2 INTs and 2 time counts. A few completions were dump offs or swing passes. Not an impressive day.

http://www.rodpedersen.com/

Bryan Bennett was the star of Saturday's Saskatchewan Roughriders annual Green & White scrimmage at SMF Field. The 25-year old quarterback from Tarzana, CA threw three touchdown passes in a fairly slick performance by the Riders.

Bennett threw majors to Antwane Grant (15 yards), Naaman Roosevelt (25 yards) and Duron Carter (25 yards) on the day.

There were 18 offensive series in all, with Kevin Glenn getting the first. He threw for first downs to Jenson Stoshak, Bakaria Grant and Duron Carter however a fumble by running back Cameron Marshall at the +37-yard line ended the drive. That was also the end of Glenn's afternoon.

Vince Young quarterbacked the next two series, as part of his six drives on the day. His first possession was a 2-and-out and then he served up a deep interception to rookie Zavian Bingham on the second. In his subsequent drives, Young was sacked by Willie Jefferson forcing a punt, Tyler Crapigna missed on a 44-yard field goal attempt, Young was picked by defensive lineman Ese Mrabure, and he finished with a 2-and-out.

Bryan Bennett was the pivot for five series, ending three with touchdown passes.

Brandon Bridge got four possessions, including one which ended with a 13-yard touchdown strike to Mitch Picton.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I thought we should have kept Bennett around and our 3rd stringer.  Oh well.

Yah, I think if they would have made some timely decisions on players from last years squad that have already been cut they could have moved Bennett off the PR and brought him back to compete at this year's TC.   Hopefully Apodaca makes us forget all about Bennett shortly.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

I've already forgotten about Bennett.  Honestly what I remember is just preseason. I think that's all he played. He looked OK but nothing special.  I don't think that you can get much from preseason and an intersquad game. He seemed like a good guy so hope he does well but his Games that mean anything in the CFL just don't exist. 

9 hours ago, Mark F said:

here's the record last season Bombers v Sask. Not exactly a beat down.

Sept 4  Wpg 28, Sask 25.

Sept. 10 Wpg 17 Sask 10.

And 2-0. Regardless of the final score, a win's a win. Not to mention winning in Regina on Labour Day Weekend for the first time in over a decade.

Anyway, based on the result of that scrimmage, it sounds like the Riders have no defense.

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

And 2-0. Regardless of the final score, a win's a win. Not to mention winning in Regina on Labour Day Weekend for the first time in over a decade.

Anyway, based on the result of that scrimmage, it sounds like the Riders have no defense.

yes...

but the Riders might not be as bad as some people hope and think they'll be. That's all I'm saying.

18 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

And it's funny to see fans in the rectangle province dump on Chamblin to this day for thinking too highly of himself, while in the same breath defending Jones for doing literally the same thing.

When Jones gets his ass fired out of here, he will be remembered the same way. For now, most fans are hoping he will deliver a good team first.  Chamblin is also hated for getting rid of Ritchie Hall, who a lot of fans like.

Edited by Ripper

11 hours ago, Zontar said:

Riders: 6 to 8 wins. No playoffs but success and vindication declared whilst they watch everyone else in West play in Nov and fantasize about future.

Jones and his helper monkeys spin another sub 500 year into "we' re close" despite all the assurances high Rider standards would never tolerate another losing season

Just a prediction,  mind you

You are bang on here. We will win 8 and he will be on the bubble. To me it hinges on the defense. As far as I'm concerned, he was brought in here for one reason, to build a defense that can win a cup. 8 wins with a much improved defense and he will be back. 8 wins and a bad defense again, fired. There will be many fans that want him back no matter what, but I am not one of them. Win or hit the road.

34 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

8 wins almost always guarantees playoffs, the Riders won't get there. There's only so many wins to go around in the CFL and to me all the other west teams are too far ahead of the Riders for them to get to that total. 

Have to agree. Trying to think where they could get 8 in. 1 on Edm, 2 on mtl, 1 on TO, 1 on Ham and 1 on BC or the Bombers? 6 seems realistic at this point until we see them on the field. 

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

When Jones gets his ass fired out of here, he will be remembered the same way. For now, most fans are hoping he will deliver a good team first.  Chamblin is also hated for getting rid of Ritchie Hall, who a lot of fans like.

Except Chamblin did deliver a good team, one that managed to win a championship on home field.

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Except Chamblin did deliver a good team, one that managed to win a championship on home field.

Did he? Debatable. Defence was good when Hall was in charge. Taman spending money like a drunken sailor. Chamblin was known to have favorites( not a good trait for a head coach). BUT we were successful under Chamblin for a while, it was the success that went to his head, and ultimately was his undoing in the end.

2 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Did he? Debatable. Defence was good when Hall was in charge. Taman spending money like a drunken sailor. Chamblin was known to have favorites( not a good trait for a head coach). BUT we were successful under Chamblin for a while, it was the success that went to his head, and ultimately was his undoing in the end.

Yeah, he did. He was the team's head coach when they won in 2013. That's not debatable.

7 minutes ago, Ripper said:

It completely baffles me how you and other Rider fans can minimize what Chamblin/Tamin did.

You WON THE FREAKING CUP! So what if the future was mortgaged?

11 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

It completely baffles me how you and other Rider fans can minimize what Chamblin/Tamin did.

You WON THE FREAKING CUP! So what if the future was mortgaged?

It,s the prevailing narrative in order to bolster Jones. Same goes for the Chick, Dressler and Durant files. There will be whole new official narrative for the Jones era and his replacement once he,s fired too.