Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

31 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Nevermind. I was trying to say a championship can ease the pain of down years. You know, instead of winning nothing and still being a perennial loser.

Durant doesn't get hurt and we were would probably have been in the hunt in 2014. We were bat **** crazy off the rails in 15 and 16. 16 is hard to take because Jones cut deeper than he needed in his mighty rebuild. 16 is on Jones and not Taman. So was the cup worth it, dam right it was. 

Just now, Ripper said:

Durant doesn't get hurt and we were would probably have been in the hunt in 2014. We were bat **** crazy off the rails in 15 and 16. 16 is hard to take because Jones cut deeper than he needed in his mighty rebuild. 16 is on Jones and not Taman. So was the cup worth it, dam right it was. 

Uh, no. Durant's 2014 campaign was lousy even before it ended due to injury.

19 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Hey if you take away their excuses then the Rider fans don't have anything left at all. 

Riders were 8-1 when he went down. He wasn't putting up the greatest numbers but we were winning. Or does that excuse only apply to Nichols?

3 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Riders were 8-1 when he went down. He wasn't putting up the greatest numbers but we were winning. Or does that excuse only apply to Nichols?

They were actually 8-2 prior to losing Durant. And always gotta throw in a childish dig, eh.

A good team can win even with mediocre QBing. The Riders' D in 2014 was still pretty formidable and on offense, the run game was very dominant.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Holley injury likely would have changed that.

Bakari Grant having a very good camp.  Carter, Roosevelt, Grant, Collins/ Holley likely are the four American starters. Some Rider fans thought otherwise, this is my guess anyway.

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

A small glimpse of hope...? 11-7 is a "mediocre" record...? Who here has said the Bombers are the best team in the west? :lol:

The reality is the same for pretty much every team in the CFL: lose your starting QB and your chances of being successful decrease dramatically. I'll refrain from taking childish digs at your precious team, because then I'd be no better than you.

You keep using your training camp to justify your homer bias. To suggest the Riders are better than last season despite having not even played a single game yet is hilarious. And then you follow it up by saying Glenn looks better than Durant. Comical.

FTR: the Riders were the worst team in the CFL last year. And the year before. There is no debate on that.

the RFR (Rider Fan Rhetoric) is strong with Kluck-k.

37 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

On 1290, Lee Jones (CTV Regina) was telling Rick Ralph about Rider practice today. He mentioned that a Sports Illustrated reporter was asking who #5 was.

The reporter said that KG "was the best player on the field; offense or defense."

?!?

Well a guy who has been around as many CFL training camps as Kevin Glenn should be one of the best players on the field early in training camp. 

51 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

On 1290, Lee Jones (CTV Regina) was telling Rick Ralph about Rider practice today. He mentioned that a Sports Illustrated reporter was asking who #5 was.

The reporter said that KG "was the best player on the field; offense or defense."

?!?

?‍?- And this was after Jones..the Head guy, asked Pedersen...the __ __ __ guy, what he thought of the mock game, and then believed his answer (far better than last year)  ---- "Yeah," Jones drawled. "On both sides of the ball."

Regarding the delay in signing the club's top draft picks - Jones said the Roughriders won't be forced into overpaying for rookies who haven't played a down in the CFL. He said it's unfair to pay them more than 2- or 3-year veterans who've already proven their worth. John Murphy also chimed in that these these contracts set precedent and they don't want to set the financial bar too high for future first round picks.

?‍?And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they end up paying just slightly less for a Judge? Just re-structured and packaged differently?

- Rider President Craig Reynolds was on hand and answered some tough questions as well. He mentioned there's a $12 ticket surchage on all Rider tickets for the next 30 years in order to pay back a loan to the Government of Saskatchewan. He said much of the financial onus will be on the Rider Nation. "The #1 reason we have a new stadium is you guys, the fans," Reynolds remarked. "The people who come to the games."

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

Four in a hundred years. Clap. Clap. Clap. Clap. There, one clap for each victory.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Were you alive the last time the Bombers won one?

Yes, 26 years without a Grey Cup victory. And 26 years is sad. Trust me, I know this. It's also sad to win only 2 in 26 years...like Saskatchewan. 

But not as sad as 56 years without a Grey Cup win....Saskatchewan. 

Well, 52, if you count the war years. Then, let me see, another 23 years after that. And, it would have been another 24 years, had it not been for a 4 point win over a rookie QB in 2007, even though they insist they would have beaten the Bombers with Glenn in the lineup. So then, it was only 18 years. 

We can plainly see that the gaps are getting smaller. Sort of like when the province got their first dentist. Gaps got smaller then too. Not completely, but enough to be amusing.

What I guess I'm saying is, the Rider fans know of what they speak when they bring up droughts between Grey Cup wins. They're VERY experienced in that regard.

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

You forgot the most pertinent element to the only chirp you greenies have.

It was a serious question. Not chirping. I'm sure some of you posters that make fun of our lowly 4 wins weren't even alive the last time you won. I was 18 in 89 when we won so I know how it felt to actually experience it. You guys are on your way in the right direction. No bullshit, I hope you win one soon. It would be awesome to see it happen.  I just hope it isn't against us. I'll be cheering for the Bombers if the Riders are out, like I always do.

1 minute ago, mbrg said:

Wow, are you asking the wrong guy - he might have been alive for all of them...

Now, now... Cut the guy some slack. It's not like they have an extensive repertoire with which to chip fans of any other CFL team. Enjoying a decade of success in over a century is apparently enough to warrant hubris in the rectangle province.