Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

21 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Were you alive the last time the Bombers won one?

I've been around for 6 of them myself.  But having said that, I'm sure that the Riders are proud of the fact that they're now tied with the University of Toronto Varsity Blues with four cup wins and are ninth overall in Grey Cup victories for CFL teams!  Attaboy Regina!

Edited by WBBFanWest

OTTAWA — The Ottawa REDBLACKS announced Monday they’ve released four players, including quarterback Brock Jensen.

Also released were three nationals in defensive back Mikael Charland, kicker Ronnie Pfeffer and receiver Scott MacDonell.

Liked what we saw from Jensen and thought Pfeffer looked decent in 2015.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

7 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

I've been around for 3 Bomber Grey Cups and 3 Rider Cups. The way Rider fans talk however you'd think they've won 20 in my lifetime. 

Well you can't fault them, they are the Nation's best fans after all.  And I don't just say that because TSN's "Rider Nation" invention worked so well, I say that because their fandom is unparalleled, their support unmatched, and their dedication unwavering. 

I'm just happy the CFL does a regular season and playoffs every year and doesn't just award SK the Cup because that's what everyone wants....

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Well you can't fault them, they are the Nation's best fans after all.  And I don't just say that because TSN's "Rider Nation" invention worked so well, I say that because their fandom is unparalleled, their support unmatched, and their dedication unwavering. 

Especially in the 90s. It wasn't like they had to have a marathon to save the team or anything...

17 hours ago, Kluchk said:

This is exactly what I don't understand. I get this is a Bombers forum and all, and every fan base likes to bash one another. But the Bombers showed a small glimpse of hope last year. Their record was mediocre at best. Its been so long since the Bombers fan base has won a Grey Cup that you fans believe you have the best team in the west. But in reality all it takes is for Matt N to go down and the Bombers are a bottom feeder team.

Every year the discussion is up for debate on who is the worst team in the league is and frankly I don't think it's the Bombers or the Riders. I've attended alot of the riders training camps this year and theee are alot of puzzle pieces that were found this year. It's a much better Riders team than last season, much better. I know Glenn is old but he still looks better than Durant. I think that Bennett could be an exciting kid to watch. Im shocked the Bombers didnt even consider him at 3. I'm sure the Bombers have also gotten better this year.

Being in a position to win a play off game in bc and locking up a play off spot isnt a small glimpse of hope. We were in a position to lock up a home play off game late as well. 

Whose said we have the best team in the west? If you look at the prognostication thread, most people think we are 3rd in the west again right now. 

This team isnt matt nichols deep. You could say a ratio breaker like loffler, though even if we lose one we have the NI depth to make up for that. As we showed last year when harris went down.  You could say If bond goes down, though again we have a very deep OL. 

The turn overs from the D, and medlock carried us last year not nichols. Our system is about as back up friendly as it gets. And we arent at all reliant on big offensive out puts from our offense. The riders on the other hand are another story. You have a glimmer of hope (thats it really) with some OL improvements and a good young core of WRs. But do you think the riders can beat any team in the league with those back ups? You dont think we have depth behind nichols, but are clinging to the guy who couldnt beat our 2-3 stringer. Lefevour is a good back up. And a pretty ideal skill set to come in and run our offense if nichols goes down. You talk about how thin our QB situation is, but we are better off at QB now then last year and you guys are praying on 2 of our back ups (no2-3 and no4) to be no 1 and no 2... 

The problem is, you are comparing rider pieces to rider pieces in TC. The riders had a poor D last year, the 2nd string of that poor d vs the 2nd string of a solid offense with bennett  is going to look inflated. 

54 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

They had two marathons, one in the 80's too and if they don't get the NFL money, all CFL teams got in the late 90's, they'd be gonzo.

And I never hear anymore about how about the Winnipeg born John Robertson saved the stubble jumpers in 1979 from bankruptcy. He also came up with the term "Rider Pride".  A Winnipegger.  Had to fly in and show them how to do it. The George and Ronnie show was over by this time and the "greatest fans" had lost interest.

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

14 minutes ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

And I never hear anymore about how about the Winnipeg born John Robertson saved the stubble jumpers in 1979 from bankruptcy. He also came up with the term "Rider Pride".  A Winnipegger.  Had to fly in and show them how to do it. The George and Ronnie show was over by this time and the "greatest fans" had lost interest.

I'd like to build a time machine and go punch him in the nose.

14 minutes ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

To be fair, that is pretty complex by Saskatchewan educational standards.  I could see some of their doctoral candidates coming up with "Ride Pride" or "Rider Prider", but "Rider Pride"?  That truly is next level stuff.

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Ricky Collins was being used on defense today. Classic Chris Jones.

So the guy had 48 receptions for 720 yards last season and since apparently the Riders can scout DBs you move him? Second guy they moved too, as they had previously moved receiver Joe Craig. Shades of the 04 Bombers with Drover and Howell.