Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

On 6/4/2017 at 0:48 PM, TBURGESS said:

It would be to me. Anything to end the current drought. 

I'd have to agree... IMO 2013 Riders = 2007 Bombers... the only difference, of course, being the Rider didn't lose their starting QB and won the game...

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I feel kind of feel bad that I laughed at this... I've seen guys pull up lame in beer leagues... but c'mon, you're supposed to be a professional athlete...

1 hour ago, Rod Black said:

Bye the way, what happened to 55iso? 

Have you met @SpeedFlex27?

Edited by bearpants

A few thoughts....

- Why the excitement over Bennett... remember how many times we brought in guys at training camp who looked like superstars and even performed well in pre season games... only for them to fizzle out come real game time.  

- Clearly Glenn will be the guy in Riderville,  he isn't bad and wasn't that terrible in Montreal.   In the right system I think he can still play decently.   I think a lot of what will make or break his season is if the Riders can get a running game. I don't think the Riders are going to be a plus 500 team...  I also don't think they will only win 2 - 3 games either.  

- Nasty Nate,   the guy was entertaining in very small doses...  in the end he spammed the board way to hard with his rants.    I don't know why people keep referencing him or give him any sort of spot light.  We have enough Rider trolls to entertain the masses here.    Also what's with the nude morris?  Story time?

- It really does sadden me on how low the popularity is of CFL fans... I wish that every team would have an active board like this site and Riderfans. 

13 minutes ago, Brandon said:

- Why the excitement over Bennett... remember how many times we brought in guys at training camp who looked like superstars and even performed well in pre season games... only for them to fizzle out come real game time.  

Same reason we were excited over Poblah and Waggoner, future hall of famer!

Edited by JCon

With our record in the supplemental draft ...(see Kito Poblah/failure/Waggoner/gonzo) do we really want to go there....Maybe thirds time the charm but I wouldn't be surprised if Walters ain't a little gun shy by now

As far as Morris of Osborne goes ....I don't know whether he actually goes to games anymore (he quit the club as far as I'm concerned) why are we commenting on a non-entity.

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

There's some reality behind that though. Young was a complete joke of a project. Bennett could be a quality player.

Point is the Riders desperately need a good story at Qb and they will go hog wild with hype with even the appearance of one

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

There's some reality behind that though. Young was a complete joke of a project. Bennett could be a quality player.

Reality is not something that usually gets associated with Riderville.  Bennett may or may not pan out but watching them backpeddle on Young will still be fun to watch.

5 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Point is the Riders desperately need a good story at Qb and they will go hog wild with hype with even the appearance of one

Pretty mixed reviews on Young. I was against bringing him in from day 1, brutal move by Jones, brutal. Makes us look like a joke when a team makes moves like this. I hope this ends the Young thing for good.  As far as Bennett goes, the kid can throw the ball, I'm excited about that. Doesn't mean much at this point but its a good sign moving forward.

2 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Pretty mixed reviews on Young. I was against bringing him in from day 1, brutal move by Jones, brutal. Makes us look like a joke when a team makes moves like this. I hope this ends the Young thing for good.  As far as Bennett goes, the kid can throw the ball, I'm excited about that. Doesn't mean much at this point but its a good sign moving forward.

someone just jumped off the young  bandwagon ?

Edited by M.O.A.B.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

Sounds like the Jonestown Riders are taking a closer look at Jake Heaps (released earlier by the Seahawks). I wonder how serious Young's injury is.

It really doesn't matter what Young's injury is. It was all about  publicity stunt to distract fans from the sad state of affairs in Riderville. Bennett may turn out to be a serviceable quarterback, but what 75%-80% of the pivots that get to the CFL ever make any sort of mark here, so the odds are against him. Still, with the slim pickings in Riderville, he may even start a few games before the axe falls on Jones and the inevitable housecleaning begins.

MORE TIDBITS...

Duane Ford - "I would be optimistically intrigued.” (He was asked what he would think if he was a fan of the team (Toronto) this spring)

By-line: "Former Winnipeg practice roster player battling NFL pro-bowler for backup job"

CFL News 

Trestman had no update on the status of linebacker Bear Woods, who reportedly has been offered a contract by #Argos. - @koshtorontosun #CFL

Rod Pedersen - on the West

BC

CGY

SK

WPG

EDM

? @dariandurant was back on the field today and looked to be in fine form! ? ow.ly/Y1zO30cliXF #AlsMTL #AlouettesCamp #CFLTC

'Explosive' former NFL D-lineman turning heads at training camp (Cory Johnson) winnipegfreepress.com/sports/footbal… #CFL #Bombers  

“He’s explosive,” said Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea. “You can tell, not only out on the field but in meetings, he loves the game, he loves to play football. He’s picked it up very quickly.

“He seems to be very disruptive, he gets in the backfield very quickly. He’s got a combination of power and speed, too. He’s shown quite well.

Steve Milton 3downnation

Three of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats’ most important veterans are giving two thumbs-up to the club’s radically revised training camp schedule.

Monday, the Ticats completed the third cycle of two days of “normal” training camp practice followed by a “recovery” day that consists of a morning circuit of wind-sprints, weight training, yoga and football-specific “corrective movement.” They also have team meetings and an hour ‘walk-through’ practice on recovery days.

Ken Wiebe - Winnipeg Sun -It sounds like Austin Apodaca will be handling the holding duties on Saturday.

The Bombers have used 22 punters in their history, 42 kickers and 129 QBs

(Bob Cameron, Troy Westwood, Mike Renaud and Phil Minnick!)

(Westwood, Bernie Ruoff, Justin Palardy and Don Jonas)

"Everyone wants to play right now." - Christophe Normand

"You have to go out there with the intent of making something happen. - "MOS

CFL News 

#Esks HC Jason Maas: "This is as deep a camp I've ever been around for talent all over the board." #CFL via @Morley_Scott

?‍? Am mildly annoyed that the NHL is still in playoff mode - IT'S FOOTBALL SEASON!

?‍? This Vince Young thing. Easier to be released now?

The spec.com

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have added two veteran players to the retired list. American defensive back Demond Washington and Canadian defensive end Justin Capicciotti are dealing with injury issues suffered prior to training camp, but it's possible both could show up at some point before the start of the season. By placing the pair on the retired list, the Ticats can use the roster spots, which are limited to 75 players (plus non-counters) during training camp until they return.

There is, however, a limit in the number of transactions each team can perform during training camp, a rule that was added in 2012

Thomas MilesThere's a good competition there. I'm getting some solid reps there and enjoying the competition. All of the guys have looked really good out here,” said Miles, who is 6-foot-1 and 232 pounds. “And it doesn't matter (who is the starter). What we're trying to do is build a championship team and what that means is that whoever is the best is going to play and I'm totally cool with that.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/06/06/miles-makes-most-of-hometown-opportunity

?‍?1st pre-season game on tonight...not televised. BC at Calgary.

That's a real downer for a lot of folks...

The game is on Radio - News Talk 770 Calgary

Edited by Mr Dee

52 minutes ago, Mike said:

"Nothing ventured, nothing lost" is the line coming out of the mouthpiece.

Nothing ventured ... you know ... except valuable camp time in a situation where you could've given reps to a guy that actually had a shot.

And if someone asks to be reminded why exactly that future plaza of honour QB was dumped on the street like a sack of crap if Young or Glenn have nothing to do with the The Plan they will be rebuked for digging up the past and being a small minded Jones hater

56 minutes ago, Mike said:

"Nothing ventured, nothing lost" is the line coming out of the mouthpiece.

Nothing ventured ... you know ... except valuable camp time in a situation where you could've given reps to a guy that actually had a shot.

The Jonestown Court Jester... Er, I mean Rod Pedersen, is gonna be the first to spew that garbage.

BC

CGY

SK

WPG

EDM

Have his lamewad predictions ever been right? The delusion is bordering on insanity.

58 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

The Jonestown Court Jester... Er, I mean Rod Pedersen, is gonna be the first to spew that garbage.

Have his lamewad predictions ever been right? The delusion is bordering on insanity.

Its like the trump president reign so far. The riders like trump are appealing to what we call "stupid idiots" .  There are lots of dumbasses in america and apparently quite a few in rider land. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

MORE TIDBITS...

Duane Ford - "I would be optimistically intrigued.” (He was asked what he would think if he was a fan of the team (Toronto) this spring)

By-line: "Former Winnipeg practice roster player battling NFL pro-bowler for backup job"

CFL News 

Trestman had no update on the status of linebacker Bear Woods, who reportedly has been offered a contract by #Argos. - @koshtorontosun #CFL

BC

CGY

SK

WPG

EDM

? @dariandurant was back on the field today and looked to be in fine form! ? ow.ly/Y1zO30cliXF #AlsMTL #AlouettesCamp #CFLTC

'Explosive' former NFL D-lineman turning heads at training camp (Cory Johnson) winnipegfreepress.com/sports/footbal… #CFL #Bombers  

“He’s explosive,” said Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea. “You can tell, not only out on the field but in meetings, he loves the game, he loves to play football. He’s picked it up very quickly.

“He seems to be very disruptive, he gets in the backfield very quickly. He’s got a combination of power and speed, too. He’s shown quite well.

Steve Milton 3downnation

Three of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats’ most important veterans are giving two thumbs-up to the club’s radically revised training camp schedule.

Monday, the Ticats completed the third cycle of two days of “normal” training camp practice followed by a “recovery” day that consists of a morning circuit of wind-sprints, weight training, yoga and football-specific “corrective movement.” They also have team meetings and an hour ‘walk-through’ practice on recovery days.

Ken Wiebe - Winnipeg Sun -It sounds like Austin Apodaca will be handling the holding duties on Saturday.

The Bombers have used 22 punters in their history, 42 kickers and 129 QBs

(Bob Cameron, Troy Westwood, Mike Renaud and Phil Minnick!)

(Westwood, Bernie Ruoff, Justin Palardy and Don Jonas)

"Everyone wants to play right now." - Christophe Normand

"You have to go out there with the intent of making something happen. - "MOS

CFL News 

#Esks HC Jason Maas: "This is as deep a camp I've ever been around for talent all over the board." #CFL via @Morley_Scott

?‍? Am mildly annoyed that the NHL is still in playoff mode - IT'S FOOTBALL SEASON!

?‍? This Vince Young thing. Easier to be released now?

The spec.com

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have added two veteran players to the retired list. American defensive back Demond Washington and Canadian defensive end Justin Capicciotti are dealing with injury issues suffered prior to training camp, but it's possible both could show up at some point before the start of the season. By placing the pair on the retired list, the Ticats can use the roster spots, which are limited to 75 players (plus non-counters) during training camp until they return.

There is, however, a limit in the number of transactions each team can perform during training camp, a rule that was added in 2012

Thomas MilesThere's a good competition there. I'm getting some solid reps there and enjoying the competition. All of the guys have looked really good out here,” said Miles, who is 6-foot-1 and 232 pounds. “And it doesn't matter (who is the starter). What we're trying to do is build a championship team and what that means is that whoever is the best is going to play and I'm totally cool with that.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/06/06/miles-makes-most-of-hometown-opportunity

?‍?1st pre-season game on tonight...not televised. BC at Calgary.

That's a real downer for a lot of folks...

The game is on Radio - News Talk 770 Calgary

Lol does this asshat ever get tired of being a delusional fan boy? In true Sask fashion i will marry my 1st cousin if they finish ahead of us in the standings.