Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

5 hours ago, Goalie said:

Its like the trump president reign so far. The riders like trump are appealing to what we call "stupid idiots" .  There are lots of dumbasses in america and apparently quite a few in rider land. 

"Make Rider Nation Great Again" captioned on the front of an ugly green cap.

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Does 6'3, 230 fit the bill?

They would've known about this guy for a while, so I'm wondering what it was that took him so long to come up. He was Zavian Bingham's teammate at Jackson State last year - they wanted Bingham too, but SSK neg-listed him.

9 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Does 6'3, 230 fit the bill?

I think it would depend on his attitude as much as his size.  What made a certain wide-bodied receiver (who began his CFL career in Calgary) so effective was his delight in punishing the D-backs who tried to tackle him.  Towards the end of some games, they would sort wave at him as he went by them.

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

They would've known about this guy for a while, so I'm wondering what it was that took him so long to come up. He was Zavian Bingham's teammate at Jackson State last year - they wanted Bingham too, but SSK neg-listed him.

So long?  He was draft eligible this year.  I'd say he found his way up here pretty quick.

Just now, Atomic said:

So long?  He was draft eligible this year.  I'd say he found his way up here pretty quick.

More what I'm getting at is was it his choice to not be here for the start of camp because of NFL opportunities or is he a late add because he's far down our list?

Because he looks good. He looks like what we want Gerrard Sheppard to be. I'm watching his highlight film and literally half of it is him destroying guys on blocking assignments or chasing down kicks on specials.

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

More what I'm getting at is was it his choice to not be here for the start of camp because of NFL opportunities or is he a late add because he's far down our list?

Because he looks good. He looks like what we want Gerrard Sheppard to be. I'm watching his highlight film and literally half of it is him destroying guys on blocking assignments or chasing down kicks on specials.

Definitely like the sounds of that.  He's got a little CFL/Bombers connection already too... his OC in 2014/15 was Tim Chang.

7 minutes ago, nate007 said:

http://3downnation.com/2017/06/07/alouettes-ink-national-and-local-defensive-back/

So the Redblacks have already cut the guy they drafted in the second round in 2016 right ahead of Calhoun, and three spots ahead of Loffler. 

How bad do you have to be to get cut as a 6'4" Canadian defensive back with a high pre-draft ranking and one year under your belt?

As for Justin Warden, I'm surprised they hung on to him this long as I can't recall ever seeing him involved in a play nor heard his name mentioned since he joined the club in 2015.  He must have contributed something as he outlasted both Brendan Morgan and Teague Sherman.

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

As for Justin Warden, I'm surprised they hung on to him this long as I can't recall ever seeing him involved in a play nor heard his name mentioned since he joined the club in 2015.  He must have contributed something as he outlasted both Brendan Morgan and Teague Sherman.

Pretty sure he was never actually on the active roster.  He got cut after training camp in 2015 and went back to school.  Then he got added to our PR in September 2016, came back for camp this year, and now he's gone.

2 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

His 40 time is really impressive for a guy that size.

This guy looks like a excellent prospect. Big and Strong, just what every team needs. someone mentioned the Raiders, might be confusion there Oakland had a DT by same name who was cut as a cap move.

I stand corrected...      http://oak.247sports.com/Bolt/Raiders-sign-Dan-Williams-No-not-that-Dan-Williams-52576505

Edited by Ripper