Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

I see the riders have traded national guard Vonk to Montreal for an import db...question asked is....why???

Not like Vonk was all world and all but he is decent depth on what is still a work in progress and an injury away from disaster there for their line, and ratio

Edited by Booch
correction

17 minutes ago, Booch said:

I see the riders have traded national guard Vonk to Montreal for an import db...question asked is....why???

Not like Vonk was all world and all but he is decent depth on what is still a work in progress and an injury away from disaster there for their line, and ratio

Radford is Canadian so it is national for national.  Riders are planning on starting a Canadian safety but they don't have any good players there so that may explain it.  And apparently 3 years in and Vonk was still getting his ass kicked in training camp every day.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

it's in trouble all around

I couldn't tell you one guy beyond Ed Gainey they plan on starting in their secondary right now, which means even if they have as talented a group as any, it's going to take weeks for them to gel.

Same thoughts I have, and no knock on Gainey but he would be hard pressed to make any secondary in the West as a starter.

Any fresh new halfbacks they start and the lack of familiarity with each other, not to mention the CFL game is gonna hurt them big time early on.

The motion, extra man, the reference points and angles on the feild, mixed in with seeing new wrinkles from opponents they have never faced happening at game speed and they are going to give up gobs of yards, and knowing how Jones operates he will interchange, remove, bring in new guys over and over with a good chance nothing gets fixed ...u gotta let em grow and gel

Remember years back when BC had Marsh, Banks and that crew all new and fresh and they were getting lit up left right and center..well they grew together and gelled and became a great backfield 

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

Same thoughts I have, and no knock on Gainey but he would be hard pressed to make any secondary in the West as a starter.

Any fresh new halfbacks they start and the lack of familiarity with each other, not to mention the CFL game is gonna hurt them big time early on.

The motion, extra man, the reference points and angles on the feild, mixed in with seeing new wrinkles from opponents they have never faced happening at game speed and they are going to give up gobs of yards, and knowing how Jones operates he will interchange, remove, bring in new guys over and over with a good chance nothing gets fixed ...u gotta let em grow and gel

Remember years back when BC had Marsh, Banks and that crew all new and fresh and they were getting lit up left right and center..well they grew together and gelled and became a great backfield 

One year ago the Bombers went into Edm. with 4 rooks plus Bruce Johnson in the backfield and came out victorious.  The game that could have been a disaster turned the season around and started the run.

33 minutes ago, Mike said:

I couldn't tell you one guy beyond Ed Gainey they plan on starting in their secondary right now, which means even if they have as talented a group as any, it's going to take weeks for them to gel.

DB is one area you need some continuity.  Seems they have a revolving door at most positions there. That is an issue. 

Edam was not a good safety for us last year.  Out of position, dropped sure picks, always trying for a big hit and not succeeding instead of playing the ball/man.

The re-build in Sasky continues I guess.   I'm still trying to get my head around Vince Young.  Why on God's green earth......??

Edited by lyin' guy

On 6/6/2017 at 0:44 PM, Mike said:

Brandyn Bartlett supplemental draft goes Thursday at 8 AM EST.

I'm wondering if the Bombers will look at bidding. I kind of feel like he'll go for a higher price tag than we'd be interested in, but I'd be prepared to give up a third rounder for him I think.

Riders got him with a 5th rounder.  Pretty surprised the cost was that low.

Edited by bigg jay
added tweet