Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

The last two posts says "Ray can do it"    

After the injuries and the beatings...  i am not sure if he can do it anymore.  

yeah, that's the big question, does Ray have a few more miles in him?

Would love to see him go out on high note, have been a fan of his since the 2005 Grey Cup ... he and AC put on an air show in that game.

16 hours ago, Floyd said:

I'll wait to praise Trestman until I see what he can do without Anthony Calvillo and an all-star OL 

Who praised (or even showed love for) Trestman...? I mean, could you not apply similar logic to Jones (without Darian Durant and a barely competent O-line)?

8 hours ago, Floyd said:

You might want to do some research on Calvillo...

Calvillo made Trestman, its not the other way around.

Didn't Trestman coach the NFL mvp quarterback, with the Raiders. Think so. Rich Gannon. who said that Trestman was a huge help to him.

One former NFL quarterback who thrived under Marc Trestman thinks that Jay Cutler will greatly benefit from working with the new Bears head coach.

As Oakland Raiders offensive coordinator in 2002, Trestman helped Rich Gannon earn NFL Most Valuable Player honors after completing 67.6 percent of his passes for 4,689 yards with 26 touchdowns, 10 interceptions and a 97.3 passer rating that's well above his 84.7 career mark.

"You're going to get a guy who's really good with the players," Gannon told ChicagoBears.com Friday at the NFL Scouting Combine. "He's a great communicator. He's a wonderful teacher.

"The best thing about Marc, the best attribute that Jay is really going to appreciate is he's great with feedback. He's not going to force something with you that you're not comfortable with. He's really going to hone the game plan to what Jay does well and what he likes."

also like trestman's given name.

Edited by Mark F

8 hours ago, Floyd said:

You might want to do some research on Calvillo...

Calvillo made Trestman, its not the other way around.

So, Calvillo's career wasn't revitalized when Trestman took over as HC in 2008...? Calvillo threw for his third highest yardage total, highest TD total, and highest comp. % to that point in his career. Weird how you ostensibly give the latter no credit whatsoever, especially when you consider how comparatively mediocre Calvillo's previous two seasons were. I mean, his TD total alone in 2008 was more than his 2006 and 2007 totals combined.

In five seasons together, Calvillo's QB rating was never below 98, the Alouettes finished first in the East Division four times, and posted a 59-31 record. Not to mention three consecutive Grey Cup appearances and winning back-to-back Grey Cup championships in Trestman's first three seasons as a head coach. 

Both individuals complemented one another, helping to cement one's legacy as the top QB in CFL history and the other establishing a solid ability to be a head coach, at least at the CFL level.

You make it sound like Trestman deserves no credit for what he's accomplished thus far in the CFL and that he was merely just along for the ride. Seemed like they were a pretty formidable tandem, IMO.

Bombers' coaches, training staff adjust routines to cut down on injuries - http://wfp.to/Eix 

(behind a pay wall - try opening in an incognito tab)

⚡️ BREAKING ⚡️ Fewer than 3,000 tickets remain for 2017 #GreyCup public on-sale.

Drew Edwards 

The Ticats need a starting right offensive tackle and newcomer Jordan Swindle has the inside track after the first 10 days of training camp.

?‍? My question is - how the heck did a guy named 'Swindle' get by Chris Jones?

Matt Nichols has been labelled a game manager, but he believes that label is false. Nichols isn’t shy to take his chances deep down the field and wants this season to be the year the perception around him changes. Farhan Lalji has more....http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/labelled~1141218

CFL News

Brandyn Bartlett selected by #Riders in supplemental draft  3downnation.com/2017/06/08/bra… #CFL via @jdunk12

?‍? "Keep 'em coming Jonesie"

If I was a betting man, I don't think Vince Young will be around in Week 1. He's been average. - @rodpedersen #CFL #Riders via @3DownRadio

"Ever since he first got here, (Nichols) was a guy I've learned from." D. Davis

"I'm going to go in and treat it like it's a playoff game." - Matt Nichols

"(training camp) is something you don't just try to go through, you try to execute and excel at it." - Mike O'Shea

?‍?Sad but true..As many people will read about the game on football forums that will have attended the Argo game live...

Rick Zapperin, Global News states "Plain and simple, if Hamilton remains a healthy unit in 2017 — something they haven’t been able to do in recent years — they have the talent to be an elite team in the league."

?‍?And following that logic, if you get 10 yards on any down(s), you'll get a first down..

And, you'll need a kicker..

"We saw a glimpse of the team we're able to become."

Coach Trestman breaks down the team's preseason play.

?‍?Really? I must have blinked..

CFL News

Former #Ticats kicker Brett Maher signs with #Redblacks: sources 3downnation.com/2017/06/09/for… #CFL

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Rick Zapperin, Global News states "Plain and simple, if Hamilton remains a healthy unit in 2017 — something they haven’t been able to do in recent years — they have the talent to be an elite team in the league."

This is such a dumb argument... of course, every team would be better if they stayed perfectly healthy all season... but the reality is injuries are guaranteed to happen, so build some depth and fight through it... with the exception of losing your entire starting line-up, a really good team will continue to win even with injuries....

6 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

So, Calvillo's career wasn't revitalized when Trestman took over as HC in 2008...? Calvillo threw for his third highest yardage total, highest TD total, and highest comp. % to that point in his career. Weird how you ostensibly give the latter no credit whatsoever, especially when you consider how comparatively mediocre Calvillo's previous two seasons were. I mean, his TD total alone in 2008 was more than his 2006 and 2007 totals combined.

You make it sound like Trestman deserves no credit for what he's accomplished thus far in the CFL and that he was merely just along for the ride. Seemed like they were a pretty formidable tandem, IMO.

Don Matthews revitalized Calvillo's career...  like you can see the point in his career where Matthews starts coaching him.

Calvillo was a great QB before Trestman showed up - 6000 yard seasons, Grey cup win and almost annual Grey Cup appearances...  its not his fault that Bellefuile was his OC in 2007.

Trestman is a very good coach - but he was a good coach with a proven QB and also a coach that left Montreal with no replacement for that QB.

Now he has an old broken Ricky Ray, a suspect OL and Drew Willy...  I'm just saying this is a legit test for Trestman

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Don Matthews revitalized Calvillo's career...  like you can see the point in his career where Matthews starts coaching him.

Calvillo was a great QB before Trestman showed up - 6000 yard seasons, Grey cup win and almost annual Grey Cup appearances...  its not his fault that Bellefuile was his OC in 2007.

Trestman is a very good coach - but he was a good coach with a proven QB and also a coach that left Montreal with no replacement for that QB.

Now he has an old broken Ricky Ray, a suspect OL and Drew Willy...  I'm just saying this is a legit test for Trestman

Calvillo had two pretty lousy campaigns in 2006 and 2007 (regardless of whose fault it was), and then rediscovered his form in 2008 and sustained it for five consecutive seasons. On the one hand, you blame Bellefeuille - and rightfully so. How does Trestman not get any credit for helping Calvillo, though?

How is it Trestman's fault Montreal didn't have a QB to take over after Calvillo? Would that error not be on the GM...?

I don't think anyone disagrees this new situation in Toronto is a legitimate test for Trestman. And I'm pretty sure Ray is a proven QB.

34 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Calvillo had two pretty lousy campaigns in 2006 and 2007 (regardless of whose fault it was), and then rediscovered his form in 2008 and sustained it for five consecutive seasons. On the one hand, you blame Bellefeuille - and rightfully so. How does Trestman not get any credit for helping Calvillo, though?

How is it Trestman's fault Montreal didn't have a QB to take over after Calvillo? Would that error not be on the GM...?

I don't think anyone disagrees this new situation in Toronto is a legitimate test for Trestman. And I'm pretty sure Ray is a proven QB.

Jim Popp is a bad coach.  That is clear.  See 2006, 2007, 2013, 2016...

And, yeah, um, not sure what your problem is...  my point was that this is a legit test for Trestman.  Then someone said he turned around Calvillo's career - which he didn't... he just replaced Popp/Bellefuile - which technically would turn around anyone's career - ahem.

I'm not saying Trestman is an awful coach, the same way that I'm not ready to say Jones is an awful coach - these guys are good...  but they were also both coaches on good teams and now they're not.

As for Ricky Ray, I'm not sure he's better than Kevin Glenn at this point of their careers.

19 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Trestman offence is,about making quick reads throwing it before anyone can get there. Ray can do that.

19 hours ago, Brandon said:

The last two posts says "Ray can do it"    

After the injuries and the beatings...  i am not sure if he can do it anymore.  

Its text book ray. Can he still do it? Id bet my life on it. Can he stay healthy and continue to do it for even half a season? Not much of a chance imop. A lot of questionable health QBs starting in the league right now. Ray is the one id worry the most about if he was my starter. Not to mention that OL is still a weak link. 

7 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Its text book ray. Can he still do it? Id bet my life on it. Can he stay healthy and continue to do it for even half a season? Not much of a chance imop. A lot of questionable health QBs starting in the league right now. Ray is the one id worry the most about if he was my starter. Not to mention that OL is still a weak link. 

If he gets rid of it quick and does not get hit he will last whole season. 

15 hours ago, Floyd said:

Jim Popp is a bad coach.  That is clear.  See 2006, 2007, 2013, 2016...

And, yeah, um, not sure what your problem is...  my point was that this is a legit test for Trestman.  Then someone said he turned around Calvillo's career - which he didn't... he just replaced Popp/Bellefuile - which technically would turn around anyone's career - ahem.

I'm not saying Trestman is an awful coach, the same way that I'm not ready to say Jones is an awful coach - these guys are good...  but they were also both coaches on good teams and now they're not.

As for Ricky Ray, I'm not sure he's better than Kevin Glenn at this point of their careers.

Whoever's fault it was - Calvillo looked like he was done after the 2007 season.  The Al's OL looked to be past it's prime after the 2007 season.  There are similarities between the two situations...

1 hour ago, Zontar said:

As predicted Bennett hype is climbing the charts as Young fades. Even a subtle "better than Durant" is getting a test drive

Fans commenting on how well he throws the ball to the wide side of the field, and making some throws in practice that Durant wasn't known to be good at=  fans thinking Bennett is better than Durant.  Your crap gets old some times. I hope no one here actually believes anything you say

Just now, Ripper said:

Fans commenting on how well he throws the ball to the wide side of the field, and making some throws in practice that Durant wasn't known to be good at=  fans thinking Bennett is better than Durant.  Your crap gets old some times. I hope no one here actually believes anything you say

Ripper, as a fan, you are probably looking through rose-coloured glasses. Bennett showed promise when here, but promise is like a cheque- you don't know how good it is until you try to cash it in. I have been a fan of Durant but do not recall him having a noodle arm.

Edited by tracker
pedantry

5 minutes ago, tracker said:

Ripper, as a fan, you are probably looking through rose-coloured glasses. Bennett showed promise when here, but promise is like a cheque- you don't know how good it is until you try to cash it in. I( have been a fan of Durant but do not recall him having a noodle arm.

Couple things.  I don't think anyone has said DD has a noodle arm, Bennett just has a better one( more powerful).  Secondly, I am not holding my breath in regards to Bennett. He may or may not turn out to be anything, he has been a good prospect so far.  Subconsciously I would think Bomber fans in general would like to believe that this kid has no future, makes letting him go easier to swallow.  Jennings came through the Riders and didn't even get invited to training camp, guess we missed the boat on him. It does happen.   

Edited by Ripper