Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

Just now, Ripper said:

Couple things.  I don't think anyone has said DD has a noodle arm, Bennett just has a better one.  Secondly, I am not holding my breath in regards to Bennett. He may or may not turn out to be anything, he has been a good prospect so far.  Subconsciously I would think Bomber fans in general would like to believe that this kid has no future, makes letting him go easier to swallow.  Jennings came through the Riders and didn't even get invited to training camp, guess we missed the boat on him. It does happen.   

Actually, if you scroll through the postings about Bennett leaving, I believe that you will see that there was regret over his departure (plus some venom) as there was a consensus that the potential was there.

Those discussing Calvillo "troubles" in 2007, keep in mind that as the year his wife was diagnosed with cancer and he talked about walking away from football altogether. That, amd her subsequent recovery, played a huge part in his so called poor play, and later, resurgence... 

Just now, Noeller said:

Those discussing Calvillo "troubles" in 2007, keep in mind that as the year his wife was diagnosed with cancer and he talked about walking away from football altogether. That, amd her subsequent recovery, played a huge part in his so called poor play, and later, resurgence... 

Having lost a wife to cancer, I can vouch that no matter what kind of job you have, your head is not going to be in it, even if you do not have 300 lb people trying to murderize you.

6 minutes ago, tracker said:

Actually, if you scroll through the postings about Bennett leaving, I believe that you will see that there was regret over his departure (plus some venom) as there was a consensus that the potential was there.

I have read that and agree.  I was speaking to fan bases in general. Durant as a example. I am on board with moving on from him, however would have kept him maybe one more year. Would it break my heart to see him struggle this year? nope.  Don't wish him any ill will but not cheering for him. If we string a so so season together and are in the hunt to crossover, they are a team we will be fighting with. Hope we knock him out of game in week one on route to a road victory

1 hour ago, BBlink said:

I for one am one of those who thinks Bennett has potential to be a good QB. But what do I know. 

I think hes nealon greene esque. Most every player especially qb that comes to the league has the potential to be a starter or better. Its their ability to full fill that potential and drive to reach it thats important. Bennett has great athletic ability and some nice raw tools. Id prefer him to davis. But im happy with apodaca so far. The good news is we will really get to see what he is made of in sask. It seems that he is realistically no2 there right now, with glenn and a questionable OL in front of him. Few qbs ever play every regular season game. That situation smells like bennett is right on the cusp of being a starter. I hope he does well, when ever it isnt against us any way. 

6 hours ago, Ripper said:

Fans commenting on how well he throws the ball to the wide side of the field, and making some throws in practice that Durant wasn't known to be good at=  fans thinking Bennett is better than Durant.  Your crap gets old some times. I hope no one here actually believes anything you say

That,s why I said subtle. The Jones defenders have  to build a case for whomever takes over at qb in order to absolve Jones of any blame in the Durant deal and it starts with hype. The usual suspects have gone all in for Jones and will say just about anything. Dont know why you cant see it

Edited by Zontar

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I think hes nealon greene esque. Most every player especially qb that comes to the league has the potential to be a starter or better. Its their ability to full fill that potential and drive to reach it thats important. Bennett has great athletic ability and some nice raw tools. Id prefer him to davis. But im happy with apodaca so far. The good news is we will really get to see what he is made of in sask. It seems that he is realistically no2 there right now, with glenn and a questionable OL in front of him. Few qbs ever play every regular season game. That situation smells like bennett is right on the cusp of being a starter. I hope he does well, when ever it isnt against us any way. 

Has Bennett even played in a game?  How many QBs have come and gone that look great in TC...

Said it before, Brandon Bridges would have been my pick as a prospect... still like that guy - really sucks that we can't watch these matchups - even a two camera broadcast online would have been fine

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Has Bennett even played in a game?  How many QBs have come and gone that look great in TC...

Said it before, Brandon Bridges would have been my pick as a prospect... still like that guy - really sucks that we can't watch these matchups - even a two camera broadcast online would have been fine

Just pre season. Idk how many none starters look great at qb for us in the last ten years or more. Some guys certainly show flashes. Yeah its hard to evaluate qbs in camp. When guys ar actually coming at you to hit you and do the whole world changes. 

Bridge is a solid prospect. Also not super high on him. Really wish it was on TV too. Would love to see these qbs play. Not to mention the line and other spots. 

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

There's only one backup I've watched in the past couple seasons pre-season or regular that's made me go, "that guy has franchise QB potential."  That's Fajardo.  I think he'll be the Argos starter by the end of this season, although Popp really loves vet QB's.

Agree on Fajardo. Of the young back ups right now he's my favorite. 

7 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

June 10 - BC Lions Released:

QB Keith Price (I)
DL Harold Brantley (I)
DL Edward Godin (N)
OL Vincent Brown (I)
OL Quinn Horton (N)
OL Evan Telford (N)
WR Mitchell Hillis (N)
WR Montario Hunter (I)
WR Deon Long (I)
DB Adrian James (I)
DB Justin Thomas (I)
LB Nehemie Kankolongo (N)

I think Wally is smart to make this move earlier than required, it pairs down the competition to the real contenders and provides them with more reps. in the last week of TC.  It also let's the coaches focus more on the players who will make the team and prepare for the regular season.  Doing away with the mid-camp cut down is going to hamstring some teams that don't want to make the easy decisions early.  The Bombers are exempt because they have the extra week to prepare.

12 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think Wally is smart to make this move earlier than required, it pairs down the competition to the real contenders and provides them with more reps. in the last week of TC.  It also let's the coaches focus more on the players who will make the team and prepare for the regular season.  Doing away with the mid-camp cut down is going to hamstring some teams that don't want to make the easy decisions early.  The Bombers are exempt because they have the extra week to prepare.

It's funny Walter's just talked about the  very same idea on Cjob pre game show. 

Edited by wbbfan

12 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Lol Bennet not looking so good now ....ahh TC superstars...

Some positions performances mean more in tc (like OL) for qbs TC is awful soft. Bennett didnt play well. Still young tho, and a guy id rather have around then young. But i think the rider fans are gonna drop back to reality and realize why he was on the PR to end the year. Bridge on the other hand played really well. Starters, bench, blitz, 4 man pressure he played well against it all. If i was them i would be more hope full now with bridge then previously with bennett.  

53 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Some positions performances mean more in tc (like OL) for qbs TC is awful soft. Bennett didnt play well. Still young tho, and a guy id rather have around then young. But i think the rider fans are gonna drop back to reality and realize why he was on the PR to end the year. Bridge on the other hand played really well. Starters, bench, blitz, 4 man pressure he played well against it all. If i was them i would be more hope full now with bridge then previously with bennett.  

Bridge played well considering, but our D wasn't exactly our starters.. No Westerman, Leggett, Loffler, Wild, Thomas, Randle and a whole lot of rotating going on. 

It's kind of why I'm not really worried about Nichols performance. If we didn't play the riders so soon again when it counts, I doubt he even sees the field tonight. But not having Adams, Dressler and Harris in his offense certainly has a big impact on his play too