Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

6 hours ago, Mark F said:

not many people there.

mcleod bethel does not look very good to me. he sure gets a lot of chances to be a pro football player. way more than kaepernick.

Kaepernick decided to make his protest political by refusing to stand for the national anthem. Then he admitted he never voted in the Presidential election. No one wants to touch him now because of the headaches he would bring to any team that signed him. Any team he's on would be in a media fish bowl. Coaches don't like distractions & he'd be a huge one. Kaepernick's now a backup qb carrying a huge salary with political views a lot of fans & companies don't like. That's a huge no no in the eyes of Roger Goodell & the NFL.

14 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Kaepernick decided to make his protest political by refusing to stand for the national anthem. Then he admitted he never voted in the Presidential election. No one wants to touch him now because of the headaches he would bring to any team that signed him. Any team he's on would be in a media fish bowl. Coaches don't like distractions & he'd be a huge one. Kaepernick's now a backup qb carrying a huge salary with political views a lot of fans & companies don't like. That's a huge no no in the eyes of Roger Goodell & the NFL.

Dude also provides millions of dollars to charities and is involved in many proactive communities and is actually practicing what he preeches. Not saying it's right or wrong but you have people like ray Lewis who killed someone and he's celebrated as one of the best ever. The hypocrisy is incredible. 

Kaps'  a good dude who used his right as an American citizen to display his freedom of speech.

I understand it's a business, but he's a good qb, certainly good enough to be on an NFL roster. 

Just my 2 cents..

Edited by CodyT

7 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

It looks like rider fans are giving up on the season already. I just want to see Durant beat them in the first game, and see us pull out a W in their own back yard and then see their entire fan base implode. 

It'll be interesting to read how the Jones apologists spin this one.

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

BC sure beat up on the Riders last night. Looked way better than we did against them in all 3 phases.

Somewhat concerning to me is that Bridge played pretty well against us and like a raw rookie against the Lions.  The Lions were able to get a much better push on the d-line.  Pre-season.... yet......

BC has 3 big play explosion/returner players currently on their roster, Rainey, Josh Harris and Tyler Davis plus a work horse in Johnson to carry the mail.  These guys are going to rip defences wide-open frequently, combine that with the best receiving core in the league and BC has an offence to be much feared. 

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

9 minutes ago, Atomic said:

The Lions were able to get a much better push on the d-line.  Pre-season.... yet......

We've changed players on the D line every season. Last year and this brought in proven players.

Don't have to be a football savant to say that If we don't have decent D line play this season, have to think it's not the players.

Edited by Mark F

4 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

BC has 3 big play explosion/returner players currently on their roster, Rainey, Josh Harris and Tyler Davis plus a work horse in Johnson to carry the mail.  These guys are going to rip defences wide-open frequently, combine that with the best receiving core in the league and BC has an offence to be much feared. 

It wasn't just their offense. BC's defense held the Riders to 6 first downs, 2 in the first half.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It'll be interesting to read how the Jones apologists spin this one.

Best thing I read was some Rider fans aren't concerned with the score in last night's game. They think the Lions had more to play for because they need to sell tickets so they had to put on a good show for their fans.  Lol 

12 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Man, I like some of those low camera angles they're showing behind the QB, really gives you a sense of what it's like on the field.  TSN could learn something from these guys.

Could very well be a CFL rule that prevents cameras from being on the field during the regular season.

5 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

Could very well be a CFL rule that prevents cameras from being on the field during the regular season.

I read somewhere that they will be using those "strung cameras" that give the overhead shot and track the play for all televised games this year so that's a step in the right direction. 

43 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Somewhat concerning to me is that Bridge played pretty well against us and like a raw rookie against the Lions.  The Lions were able to get a much better push on the d-line.  Pre-season.... yet......

And in the regular season last year it was the exact opposite.  Bridge couldn't do anything against us and dominated BC for a half.

The good thing for us is that BC's OL still stinks.  Jennings was getting rocked in both pre-season games.  If our front is better against the run their offence won't have an easy time against us.

I think the most pleasure I get out of the riders ass whoopin yesterday was last week after nichols went like 5/8 rider fans were telling me to be worried about Nichols performance.  I argued it's preseason, means nothing, especially with so many key weapons missing but no... it was still cause for concern!  Now i see the usual cheerleaders trying to reassure everyone it's just preseason,  relax.

Loose ends before the cut down massacre...

?‍?The Blue Bombers are still missing 3 important letters on their roster…

?‍?It sure seems to me that The Bombers got a lot of things right on Thursday..

The QB rotation provided Nichols with enough reps to get a real good feel for his game, and the backups finally got enough reps to show what they can do.

The O-Line roasted enough to try different combos, and we learned Bond doesn't look like he can handle centre.

Receivers came, receivers went. Not enough for my curiosity, but enough for LaPo.

The running game looks to be dynamic. Big ✔️ there

The defence, on the other hand...

Rod Pedersen

I played 70 guys because I didn't want to get our A-guys beat up going into a short week. We're not as bad as the score indicates. I don't put stock into preseason scores." - Chris Jones

One who won't be around for the Lions is linebacker Jason Arakgi. The CFL's all-time leader in special teams tackles with 194 informed his teammates after the game that he's accepted a job in medical sales and will be retiring after nine seasons.

3downnation

On BC being penalized twice in a row after sacking the QB

"In his first game of his third season, Roh found out political correctness has been redefined to the absurd. Roh was penalized following sacks on successive plays and vowed to ask the league and CFLPA why the move was suddenly disallowed."

Boris Velcic, a league supervisor, told reporters that Roh was flagged for simulating the use of a weapon

?‍?It's up to the league and CFLPA to figure this out but, for Roy to get penalized and then do the same thing again, right in front of the Ref is shake-head worthy…

?‍?There were a total of 9 sacks in that game…5 by the Riders

Eskimos - From the 85 players listed on their roster, the Eskimos must trim down to an active roster of 46, as well as 10 practice-squad players and anyone with injuries carrying over to the regular season. - Edmonton Journal

Quote - “We’ve been saying it our whole camp, I feel like this is one of the deepest camps I’ve seen and I’ve been around football for 16, 17 years in the CFL,” said Eskimos head coach Jason Maas.

?‍?the Toronto Argonauts scored 23 unanswered points to beat Hamilton 23-16 in their preseason finale Friday night at Tim Hortons Field.

Cameron Marshall and Anthony Allen are competing for the starting RB role, but didn’t have many opportunities to showcase their talents. Marshall had two carries for two yards and Allen rushed once for six yards, adding a catch for five yards. -Leader post

?‍?Yikes, not a great chance for an audition…

?‍?Head scratching time - Drew Willy did not play the last pre-season game last night, but three other QBs did - J. Matthews, D. Prukop, and M. Betal-Thompson

Does that mean Willy is safe at second?

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

I played 70 guys because I didn't want to get our A-guys beat up going into a short week. We're not as bad as the score indicates. I don't put stock into preseason scores." - Chris Jones

Some deja vu from https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/tim-burke-says-could-blasted-game-bombers-promptly-010247983.html?pt=2/

The ever candid Burke said, "We could get blasted in this game and I hope our fans don't put too much stock into the final score. Our intent is to evaluate the newcomers and make sure the vets are healthy when there are points at stake in the standings."

(though to be fair, Burke is predicting that his Bombers will lose while Jones is excusing the loss as part of his master plan.  gads, Burke was a terrible HC)

Edited by johnzo

17 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Calgary have Buckley and Stanzi backing up BLM, 2 CFL pass attempts between them. I know they like Buckley but fairly bold move by Huffer. I mean BC has Lulay in reserve, Edmonton has Franklin, heck we have the Fever and Davis.

I didn't think much of Stanzi the other night, he looked to be one of these tall slew-footed-pocket-passer types, decent arm but not mobile enough to cut it in today's CFL.  Huff probably sees something I don't.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne