Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

2 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I wouldn't want either, but there is a faint hope Willy could rebound. He really didn't get much of a chance in TO, or much to work with when he did - I believe they just jettisoned their either receiving core prior to him getting playing time - With glenn tho at 38 I think that dog's learned all the tricks he ever will and the outcome will be pretty predictable 

I don't want either, but being how one of them is on my team, I'll take Glenn. Kevin is a good kid and will have a great season.  That is all..

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Honest to goodness feel AWFUL for DW... Man that sucks. Top of the mountain to the very bottom. 

Wowzers.  Willy's downfall in the the last 12 months is almost staggering and something that will probably haunt him for the rest of his days.  He came into TC last season with a hefty contract as the anointed starter of a team on the upswing, and one year later to the day he finds himself standing in the unemployment line.  Just to think, all he really needed to do to change this story-line was find a way to work with the tools provided around him and win enough football games to make the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Wowzers.  Willy's downfall in the the last 12 months is almost staggering and something that will probably haunt him for the rest of his days.  He came into TC last season with a hefty contract as the anointed starter of a team on the upswing, and one year later to the day he finds himself standing in the unemployment line.  Just to think, all he really needed to do to change this story-line was find a way to work with the tools provided around him and win enough football games to make the playoffs.

The Bombers weren't on the upswing until Drew left. Then they started Travis Bond & Hardrick, That's when things changed. The Bombers were 3-3 & sinking under Willy.

8 hours ago, tracker said:

I have read that Kaepernick became a vegan about a year ago and since then he has lost both weight and about 20% of his strength. If true, this would make him a lot more vulnerable to being injured and take a lot off his tosses.

Great way to leave the NFL. Don't stand at attention for the national anthem, become a polarizing figure, regress as a qb & then lose weight & strength by being a vegan. If that's true who'd want him?

Just now, TBURGESS said:

Not surprised that Willy got cut. He was one of, if not the biggest mistake that our current regime made. I was and still am astonished that we got so much for him in trade value. I'll never understand what Toronto saw in him. 

No need to question what Barker and Milanovich were thinking. Just enjoy the bounty we reaped.

13 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

The DW trade essentially costed Milanovich and Barker their job. It's telling that Trestman released DW considering their number one option is an old and broken Ricky Ray. 

Ray and Willy both suffered from the same problem, too much pressure in the pocket, difference obviously is that Ray has the ability to over come that, where as Willy got himself shell shocked and couldn't pull out of it. 

?‍?I find it odd that K Stafford gets PR'd so quickly...by Edmonton

"If he does (Ray has outstanding year), we are going to have an outstanding season” - #Argos GM Jim Popp #CFL via @koshtorontosun      ?‍?Goes without saying Jim…

Collaros mostly has been sharp when he has been in uniform, but injuries have kept him from playing in all 18 games in each season in Hamilton, as he made 13 starts in 2014, 12 in 2015 and 10 in 2016. - Terry Koshan, Toronto Sun

?‍?Rec.Tori Gurley - cut by the RedBlacks

?‍?Brett Blaszko - BC Lions 3rd round pick 23rd overall - cut

?‍?defensive lineman Ben D’Aguilar - Hello Bombers..any interest here?

Jones up to his chicanery again? Suspending 3 draft picks?

Suspended:
National offensive lineman Emmanuel Adusei

National linebacker Alexandre Chevrier

National wide receiver Mitchell Picton

?‍?Do the Bombers get to keep Thera-Plamondon? Back to school?

?‍?Slightly annoyed to see Gary Lawless’s tweets - but see no CFL News..

?‍?Ottawa releases International defensive lineman Adrian Hubbard

?‍?No notable MLBs released on anybody's lists - not that I'm looking…

?‍? Edmonton released International defensive lineman Ikponmwosa Igbinsoun…solely because his name is unpronounceable….

?‍?Latest CFL roster moves - http://on.cfl.ca/QQ8C30cG6Lh

Drew Edwards - what the Ticats might look like after cuts…https://goo.gl/fb/zTyhgx

“We’re very comfortable with our depth at receiver, both with our veteran and some of the newcomers we brought in,” GM Kyle Walters

Herb Zurkowsky -

For anyone wondering, #Als have no interest at this time in either Drew Willy or Mitchell Gale, I've been told.

WINNIPEG, MB – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have made a bunch of number changes in advance of the regular season.

Check out the new numbers below:

• Receiver L’Damian Washington – #5
  • Defensive lineman Cory Johnson – #67
  • Linebacker Jovan Santos-Knox – #45
  • Linebacker Roc Carmichael – #4
  • Defensive back Brandon Alexander – #21
  • Defensive back Abu Conteh – #26
  • Receiver Derek Yachison – #87
  • Defensive back Brian Walker – #22
  • Kicker Felix  Menard-Briere – #17
  • Linebacker Frank Renaud – #40

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

Edited by Mr Dee

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Ray and Willy both suffered from the same problem, too much pressure in the pocket, difference obviously is that Ray has the ability to over come that, where as Willy got himself shell shocked and couldn't pull out of it. 

You're giving him too much pre-beatdown credit.  He never was CFL starter calibre. A few early wins in 2014 (pre-shellshock) were due to D and ST scoring not QB play.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

?‍?I find it odd that K Stafford gets PR'd so quickly...by Edmonton

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

I know. He comes to our TC and dogs it. Then snapped up in an instant by Esks. Makes you wonder. Did Bombers pay him a signing bonus?

Edited by Doublezero

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

We'd all be shell shocked too if we took the pounding Drew did as well as suffering that ghastly leg injury. The problem was Willy thought he could put it behind him when emotionally he couldn't. Perhaps a sports psychologist might have helped him deal with it. Instead, it destroyed him as a player. Looking at Willy as a qb since that injury he'd have been wise to retire.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We'd all be shell shocked too if we took the pounding Drew did as well as suffering that ghastly leg injury. The problem was Willy thought he could put it behind him when emotionally he couldn't. Perhaps a sports psychologist might have helped him deal with it. Instead, it destroyed him as a player. Looking at Willy as a qb since that injury he'd have been wise to retire.

Yes but hind-sight is 20-20.  I saw Drew Willy degenerate much like I watched Buck Pierce degenerate.  suddenly that swagger was gone, as well as that split-second decision-making ability.  I still have the opening game from 2014 vs. the Argos on my PVR, and watching that game, you can't tell me that Willy wasn't starter material.  His decision-making was quick, his accuracy was almost perfect, and he was running a pretty potent offence.  2015 was his down-fall.  Not building a capable line to protect him was one of Winnipeg's biggest mistakes.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Trying to think of a qb who has come back from being shell shocked like that, and cant come up with a single one. Mentality and toughness plays such a huge part of being an effective qb. 

46 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

He started his new job on June 6. He's in Vegas now.

Just makes me sad to have lost him. We need good media types in wpg. And especially in the cfl. 

37 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Yes but hind-sight is 20-20.  I saw Drew Willy degenerate much like I watched Buck Pierce degenerate.  suddenly that swagger was gone, as well as that split-second decision-making ability.  I still have the opening game from 2014 vs. the Argos on my PVR, and watching that game, you can't tell me that Willy wasn't starter material.  His decision-making was quick, his accuracy was almost perfect, and he was running a pretty potent offence.  2015 was his down-fall.  Not building a capable line to protect him was one of Winnipeg's biggest mistakes.

idk if 2015 was the down fall and 2016 was the icing or if the start to 2016 was the death blow. I tend to think if we started with our A team on the ol things for him would have been different. But while things would have been no question better, he may have allready been too damaged at that point to reach his previous high water mark. 

5 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Not surprised that Willy got cut. He was one of, if not the biggest mistake that our current regime made. I was and still am astonished that we got so much for him in trade value. I'll never understand what Toronto saw in him. 

How so?  The team needed a starting QB.... They tried for Burris and Collaros and could not get either.   Who else was left for them to go after?   

Willy also was playing very well before he came to us and the first half dozen games before he started getting killed by a terrible o-line.