Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

I'm not going to beat the Willy thing and who's fault his demise was into the ground. We've done that. I'll always be grateful to Drew for playing his heart out in blue and gold. Wish it could have had a happier ending.

On 2017-06-17 at 10:30 PM, Mark F said:

Bomber QB's have played behind bad lines for years. there was a time when Khari got beat up.  Buck got about a second and a half before he got snowed under. Willy and the horrendous beating he took.

Finally changed that under Walters.

Worth hiring him for that alone. I hated watching those beatings.

He prioritized 3 things when he came on.. O-line, QB and national depth.  Hes nailed all 3 imo in the last 2 seasons..  How anyone can think that Walter's hasn't been a huge boon for us as our GM, are nuts..

I love the fact hes Canadian too.   another Nat doing the job of an Int lol, what a ratio buster ;)

4 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

He prioritized 3 things when he came on.. O-line, QB and national depth.  Hes nailed all 3 imo in the last 2 seasons..  How anyone can think that Walter's hasn't been a huge boon for us as our GM, are nuts..

I love the fact hes Canadian too.   another Nat doing the job of an Int lol, what a ratio buster ;)

Did not know that those were top three priorities. Looks like he's ticked them all off.

Another thing is, it seems like around the CFL, over the years, once the O line has been stabilized, it can remain good for quite a while. Allouettes/Calgary  for instance.

Edited by Mark F

Just now, Mark F said:

Did not know that those were top three priorities. Looks like he's ticked them all off.

The other thing is, it seems like around the CFL, over the years, once the O line has been stabilized, it can remain good for quite a while. Allouettes/Calgary  for instance.

exactly.. as long as you groom successors while you have a great o-line in place.. it should be resolved.   Also, Walters seems crafty enough to work the contract situation well so that the hogs will be enticed to stay together..

i think anyway, he seems quite good at what he does.

10 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Yes, quite obviously Jovon was the "missing piece".  The Riders will be lighting it up shortly, count on it, I have it from good sources.

Well, yes. After all, they are undefeated int he regular season to date.

http://3downnation.com/2017/06/19/slave-nate-behar-doesnt-sound-happy-esks-offer/

Behar not happy, says he is a slave.  Edmonton has pulled their original offer of 77k off the table.  Apparently league minimum is now on the table with the agent (Hardaway) trying to get him back up to 70k with bonuses.

Hardaway does have a reputation for being a tough negotiator who is willing to keep his clients out of training camp. He represents offensive lineman Josiah St. John, who held out after being selected first overall by the Saskatchewan Roughriders last year. He also represents linebackers Cory Greenwood and Henoc Muamba, offensive lineman Matt O’Donnell and Kirby Fabien, linebacker Frederic Plesius, defensive back Chris Ackie… many of those players have had contentious negotiations with their respective teams.

Regardless of when Behar signs, or what he signs for, it’s clear that he’s feeling ill-treated by the club.

Having these rookies skip their first training camp is not helping anyone and probably hindering their career development.  I'm wondering when these players will stop hiring Hardaway as their agent.

17 minutes ago, Rich said:

http://3downnation.com/2017/06/19/slave-nate-behar-doesnt-sound-happy-esks-offer/

Behar not happy, says he is a slave.  Edmonton has pulled their original offer of 77k off the table.  Apparently league minimum is now on the table with the agent (Hardaway) trying to get him back up to 70k with bonuses.

Having these rookies skip their first training camp is not helping anyone and probably hindering their career development.  I'm wondering when these players will stop hiring Hardaway as their agent.

Not a brilliant statement to make to start off his CFL career, he could quickly be tagged with the label of a locker room cancer.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne