Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

1 hour ago, Judd said:

I find this comment by him interesting because he's a big bombers/jets homer. He's extremely statistical/analytical in his work, so knowing his rationale would be helpful. I would wager he has a few statistics and facts up his sleeve that might surprise us.

Stats & spread sheets don't win games. Talent, heart & the smarts do. That's why a team never won a championship in any sport "on paper".

Edited by SpeedFlex27

What happens with Saskatchewan when they get hit with injuries?

If we lose a Canadian to an injury, we're starting Patrick Neufeld or Mike Couture or Faith Ekakitie or Thomas Miles or Matt Coates.

If they lose a Canadian to an injury, they're starting Makana Henry or Greg Morris or Tevaughn Campbell.

There's a huge difference there. Add in the fact that there are injury concerns about ... well, nearly half their Canadian starters almost ... and they better hope they stay healthy.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

What happens with Saskatchewan when they get hit with injuries?

If we lose a Canadian to an injury, we're starting Patrick Neufeld or Mike Couture or Faith Ekakitie or Thomas Miles or Matt Coates.

If they lose a Canadian to an injury, they're starting Makana Henry or Greg Morris or Tevaughn Campbell.

There's a huge difference there. Add in the fact that there are injury concerns about ... well, nearly half their Canadian starters almost ... and they better hope they stay healthy.

I read a lot over there about their depth. I just don't see any. If they had depth they wouldn't be signing has-beens like Jovan Johnson. Depth behind QB?  RB? Secondary?  DLine?  I don't see it. 

Edited by lyin' guy

4 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

I read a lot over there about their depth. I just don't see any. If they had depth they wouldn't be signing has-beens like Jovan Johnson. Depth behind QB?  RB? Secondary?  DLine?  I don't see it. 

Teams always look like they have depth until the games start and that depth gets exposed.  The fans over there think their OL is deep because they have Guy, JSJ, Bladek, and Meredith.  Yeah let's see what happens when those guys get into a game...

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

Teams always look like they have depth until the games start and that depth gets exposed.  The fans over there think their OL is deep because they have Guy, JSJ, Bladek, and Meredith.  Yeah let's see what happens when those guys get into a game...

Lol!  Exactly. Depth means bodies that can actually play; not just bodies. 

Not to be critical of fans and all...but I have found myself to be browsing a lot there...and wow they are truley delusional with thoughts on depth here..depth there...do they not see they are razor thin and a lot of their starters, both import and non-import prob wouldn't start anywhere else??

Their o-line can't afford ANY injuries right now, and what they project to start right now may not even be totally healthy, or even their projected first stringer coming into camp. 

Any injury or even sub-par play and they are in a world of trouble...not to mention if KG goes down or isn't producing.

That defense too...razor thin and a lot of questions...Save for Jefferson what do they really have who teams would be concerned about?

They think Judge is going to be this savior ratio changer, but honestly he has missed all camp, was not a starter in College and mainly was a special teams guy and finished his career with 47 games played and 48 Tackles??..hardly the stats of a super demon.

Factor in trying to figure out CFL nuances, the extra guy, motion, field size, angles, benchmarks on the filed as where to be..where to go..you aren't going to see big impact from him...maybe some more tackles as they will be forever punting. I played both versions and a Will/Sam and a defensive HB has the biggest learning curve, and requires the most adjustment and thinking 

Their defensive backs are Ed Gainey, Jeff Hecht, Tevaughn Campbell, Mike Dubuisson, Erick Dargan, Mike Edem, Chris Lyles, Kacy Rodgers and Sam Williams.

That's nine guys, with a grand total of zero that would crack our roster. Between Lyles, Dargan and Williams, maybe there's an unknown commodity in there that can impress but really - that's not going to do much for them in the first few weeks of the year.

That alone is going to sink them, especially when they can't generate pressure up the middle because they struck out on finding an impact DT and are likely looking at starting some combination of Mrabure, Gaydosh, Minter and Steele in the middle. Good luck.

The other thing is regarding their offense: they have an incredibly talented group of receivers but unless McAdoo all of a sudden wakes up and realizes he needs to run the football as well AND they all of a sudden have a threat at that position ... you're not going to see them being effective.

24 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

Nobody sees it except the handful of Jones acolytes on Riderfans. There is no depth and very little talent on that team with the exception of their receivers. The rest of their team is hot garbage.

Just now, Mike said:

The other thing is regarding their offense: they have an incredibly talented group of receivers but unless McAdoo all of a sudden wakes up and realizes he needs to run the football as well AND they all of a sudden have a threat at that position ... you're not going to see them being effective.

Just to protect Glenn (or whoever is in there), they better learn to run. And, with that aging, often unhealthy oline, they better learn run FAST!

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

Aand they will be behind early and often by a lot...so the run game will be abandoned and teams will just tee off on Glenn or whoever is in...and it's going to be ugly....And then Carter's immaturity and cancer will emerge...again and the team will become divided..implode...and it will be glorious to see

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

They don't have a running back. No offense to Marshall but he's a short yardage guy. They simply don't care about running the ball, and coupled with Coleman at RT, Dyakowski at RG, and Clark at C, being the pylons they are it's going to mean a lot of sacks and interceptions by/for Glenn.

Edited by gcn11

and how easily Clark was getting trucked and rolled into the backfield repeatedly at center

and they have a thread on their board asking this question:

With a Strong O-Line and Great Receiving. Can we be successful without a Star QB?

like really????

Edited by Booch

?‍?Interesting that BC is going with a rotation of 8 on their defensive line..

CFL News - .@GM_Brillo going with 8 defensive lineman. Unheard of for #CFL. Most teams go with 6. - @FarhanLaljiTSN #BCLions via @TSN_Sports

Jovon Johnson returns to the Roughriders 2,407 days after his 2007 Grey Cup ring was sold online for $15,307. #CFL #Riders - The Riders signed FA DB Jovon Johnson (#17) on Monday, a recent cut of the Alouettes. Johnson said he'll be getting some time with the offensive coaches this week and telling them everything he knows about the Montreal players and offense.

Herb Zurkowsky  - Dominique Tovell, not Anthony Sarao, is practicing at MLB for #AlsMTL

(Sario was ‘the reason’ Bear a Woods was released)

Drew Edwards

The release of four American offensive tackles by Hamilton, means that at least for now there are no reserves behind Xavier Fulton and Jordan Swindle, who won the job at right tackle. Expect the team to bring in at least one guy, either from other teams or a neg list player.

Alouettes - The Alouettes added national defensive lineman Don Oramasionwu (Manitoba) to the roster. #AlsMTL

Rod Pedersen  - Chris Jones also referred to Vince Young as "retired", two days after the club released the 34-year old quarterback. Jones said Young is back in Texas rehabbing his torn hamstring but if he's interested in rejoining the Roughriders, Jones said the team would be open to that.

?‍?I don't know who's going to throw the longest pass in this week's games, but I do know who’s already threw the longest bomb…Matt Dunigan! 10 wins for Saskatchewan? OK…

Drew Edwards - A defensive lineman during his four years at the University of Toronto, Williams was converted to an offensive lineman when he joined the Ticats before the 2015 season. 

Williams in one of four players the Ticats have converted from offensive to defensive line since Kent Austin took over as head of football operations before the 2013 season. Mathieu Girard, who played D-line at the University of Montreal, made six starts at centre for Hamilton last season before retiring unexpectedly in March to pursue other career interests. This year, the team has targeted draft pick Kay Okafor, who made the move late in training camp, and Mathieu Dupuis, who was signed to a practice roster deal on Monday - http://3downnation.com/2017/06/20/ticats-look-converts-build-offensive-line/

CFL News - #Argos anoint @CodyFajardo17 backup to QB Ricky Ray thestar.com/sports/argos/2… via @torontostar #CFL via @CurtisGRush

44 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Bladek

I actually watched this guy a little bit in one of the preseason games. Did not look that good to me. Missed one block completely, wasn't even close to being in the right place, looked not that nimble.