Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

Hearing a few whispers we may be signing Canadian receiver Brett Blaszko, which I'd be all for.

EDIT: Penton seems to be hinting at it too.

Interesting....what happened with BC?

1 hour ago, Mike said:

The other thing is regarding their offense: they have an incredibly talented group of receivers but unless McAdoo all of a sudden wakes up and realizes he needs to run the football as well AND they all of a sudden have a threat at that position ... you're not going to see them being effective.

Taylor was all googly eyed about rider receivers ignoring that Carter is kind of a tire fire. We as long suffering bomber fans should know that a QB who needs protection to function like Glenn will not even get the ball to those splendid gazelles. If Glenn is tucking and ducking then the receivers might as well be penguins. 

17 hours ago, White Out said:

Alright lets try this again.

Willy being cut was no shock, I called it last season. He's a lousy QB who was supremely overrated. The problem with him was always his decision making.. he made bad choices and panicked in the pocket. I have read that this should be attributed to the Bombers O "ruining" him or giving him "shell shock". That's silly imo. He was exposed, not ruined. Two very different things.

Riders will be lucky to win 5 this year, with how competitive the west will be.

Ok... I'll bite- why do you believe that he was exposed and not ruined? Why are you so certain? I thought in the first 5 games he played, he did well and had made good decisions when he was in a pocket. The more he took a pummeling, the worse he got... the savage head shot he took against Hamilton here in wpg was the end I think... 

anyways- I am just curious if you have anything specific to point to when you are making your exposed vs ruined statement.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Hearing a few whispers we may be signing Canadian receiver Brett Blaszko, which I'd be all for.

EDIT: Penton seems to be hinting at it too.

He didn't show much. But who knows?

The Rider Oline is a couple of years from maturing.  Clark, Dyakowski, Coleman are not the answer. I made a comment on the old site that Labatte was rapidly declining. Still believe that.  Dennis will be good. 

47 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Riders release NI WR Joshua Stanford and Myke Tavarres.

Surprised by Stanford, by many accounts he had a solid camp for the riders and many fans thought he had a chance to move up the NI depth chart for the riders. Might not be a bad idea to bring him in for a look see

Bring Stanford here asap. Hehehe.

59 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

He didn't show much. But who knows?

The Rider Oline is a couple of years from maturing.  Clark, Dyakowski, Coleman are not the answer. I made a comment on the old site that Labatte was rapidly declining. Still believe that.  Dennis will be good. 

Clark was an absolute pylon last year. Not a CFL calibre centre. Dyakowski looked absolutely awful in preseason and even towards the end of last year. Coleman is a pylon as well. If Labatte, and I agree he has been declining, slips even a notch from last year then the Riders will have the worst OL in the league coupled with the least mobile QB. That's a recipe for disaster. Glenn's quick release may limit the sacks but will ratchet up the INTs. I just don't see any way that the Riders will be a playoff contender this year.

26 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Clark was an absolute pylon last year. Not a CFL calibre centre. Dyakowski looked absolutely awful in preseason and even towards the end of last year. Coleman is a pylon as well. If Labatte, and I agree he has been declining, slips even a notch from last year then the Riders will have the worst OL in the league coupled with the least mobile QB. That's a recipe for disaster. Glenn's quick release may limit the sacks but will ratchet up the INTs. I just don't see any way that the Riders will be a playoff contender this year.

Don't worry, they addressed their OL in the draft. ;)

Those odds for the Bombers and Riders seem low and high respectively. Bodog had the Bombers at +/- six wins at the beginning of last season, and I was happy to take a few hundred of their dollars. With our o-line and QB depth, I don't see how the Bombers don't reach .500 this year.

On the flip side, with their lack of QB and OL depth, it's really hard to see the Riders getting more than seven wins.

3 minutes ago, nate007 said:

Those odds for the Bombers and Riders seem low and high respectively. Bodog had the Bombers at +/- six wins at the beginning of last season, and I was happy to take a few hundred of their dollars. With our o-line and QB depth, I don't see how the Bombers don't reach .500 this year.

On the flip side, with their lack of QB and OL depth, it's really hard to see the Riders getting more than seven wins.

Noticed that too. Easily a free bet on either side.

2 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Riders release NI WR Joshua Stanford and Myke Tavarres.

Surprised by Stanford, by many accounts he had a solid camp for the riders and many fans thought he had a chance to move up the NI depth chart for the riders. Might not be a bad idea to bring him in for a look see

Stanford is a Natl. but he doesn't have a size advantage going for him at 6'-1" 190 lbs. but could be faster and a better route runner than Blaszko.

9 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Stanford is a Natl. but he doesn't have a size advantage going for him at 6'-1" 190 lbs. but could be faster and a better route runner than Blaszko.

I'm fully expecting it to be JFGs job to lose,  but I have no faith whatsoever Richards will ever be healthy enough to ever contribute. I don't know if we can release him or not seeing as this is year 3 for him and he is injured,  but I would if I could and bring in Stanford. Him and  Blaszko can compete for the backup NI receiver spot.

Though I'm also expecting that if Demski doesn't re-up this year in sask he's as good as ours in feb, so maybe Blaszko as depth is enough to hold the fort with JFG until the offseason

Edited by Taynted_Fayth