Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

13 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I'm fully expecting it to be JFGs job to lose,  but I have no faith whatsoever Richards will ever be healthy enough to ever contribute. I don't know if we can release him or not seeing as this is year 3 for him and he is injured,  but I would if I could and bring in Stanford. Him and  Blaszko can compete for the backup NI receiver spot.

Though I'm also expecting that if Demski doesn't re-up this year in sask he's as good as ours in feb, so maybe Blaszko as depth is enough to hold the fort with JFG until the offseason

Regarding Richards, I don't really buy the "injury prone tag" attributing it to bad luck or poor body conditioning but upon further research it looks like "injury prone" could be a genetic trait related to the production of collagen. 

The Genetics of Being Injury-Prone

"Injury is a fact of life for most athletes, but some professionals—and some weekend warriors, for that matter—just seem more injury-prone than others. But what is it about their bodies that makes the bones, tendons, and ligaments so much more likely to tear or strain—bad luck, or just poor preparation?

A growing body of research suggests another answer: that genetic makeup may play an important role in injury risk.

A review article recently published in the Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine emphasizes that research on the genetics of sports injuries “holds great potential for injury prevention for athletes at every level.” The authors, from Stanford University’s department of developmental biology and genetics, believe that genetic testing also gives athletes valuable information that might increase their competitive edge."

" Within the field of sports-injury genetics, some studies have focused on variations in the genes that control the production of collagen, the main component of tendons and ligaments. Collagen proteins also form the backbone of tissues and bones, but in some people, structural differences in these proteins may leave the body’s structures weaker or unable to repair themselves properly after injury. In a study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine in 2009, South African researchers found that specific variations of a collagen gene named COL1A1 were under-represented in a group of recreational athletes who had suffered traumatic ACL injuries. Those who had torn their ACL were four times as likely as the uninjured study subjects to have a blood relative who had suffered the same injury, suggesting that genetics are at least partially responsible for the strength of the ligament. "

Full article.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/02/the-genetics-of-being-injury-prone/385257/

6 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Regarding Richards, I don't really buy the "injury prone tag" attributing it to bad luck or poor body conditioning but upon further research it looks like "injury prone" could be a genetic trait related to the production of collagen. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/02/the-genetics-of-being-injury-prone/385257/

So how do you explain Richards making it through CIS without any injuries?  Surely CIS games are more physical than CFL training camps with limited contact.

Edited by Atomic

Just now, Atomic said:

So how do you explain Richards making it through CIS without any injuries?  Surely CIS games are more physical than CFL training camps with limited contact.

I don't believe he did make it though CIS without injury and as far as I can tell he was damaged goods when he was drafted.  I thought one of the previous injury issues he had was addressed through surgery last season.

5 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I don't believe he did make it though CIS without injury and as far as I can tell he was damaged goods when he was drafted.  I thought one of the previous injury issues he had was addressed through surgery last season.

No you're wrong he played in every game.

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

Wasn't he a kicker until the last year?

No that was Jade Etienne.

9 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Yes you're right however he missed but a single game over the 2013-2014 seasons which is pretty healthy.

Except, he had a hip issue that wasn't discovered until later.  Just because he played in all games in College doesn't mean he was perfectly healthy.

"Injuries were the story of his first pro campaign after the Bombers selected Richards with the 11th overall draft pick. He only appeared in five games in 2015 and made just one catch. After suffering through hamstring and quadriceps injuries, it was hip surgery that ended his rookie season.

“The quad tore and they went in there with an MRI and they noticed that the labrum in the hip was torn.” Richards said. “So decided to get that fixed up and it’s feeling good so far.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/2741848/it-was-awful-winnipeg-blue-bombers-receiver-addison-richards-moves-on-after-disastrous-rookie-season/

Whatever way you wanna spin it,  3 years,  3 significant injuries. Most, if not all, coming from camp and preventing him from contributing anything for us. This was supposed to be a make or break year for him (no pun intended) and he came up short. I would cut bait ASAP and use that roster spot more productively

1 hour ago, lyin' guy said:

Glenn, Owens, Young....he's looking for leadership.  He sent that away to Montreal. 

Ego.  Nothing more, nothing less.  He wanted to be the big cheese in Sasky.  Sometimes cheese stinks. 

On the plus side, thanks to the Riders 1 FG last week, Regina folks get $3 off a Western Pizza tonight.

hey, it's good pizza!

7 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Ok... I'll bite- why do you believe that he was exposed and not ruined? Why are you so certain? I thought in the first 5 games he played, he did well and had made good decisions when he was in a pocket. The more he took a pummeling, the worse he got... the savage head shot he took against Hamilton here in wpg was the end I think... 

anyways- I am just curious if you have anything specific to point to when you are making your exposed vs ruined statement.

There's a number of specifics I could point to, but that's not going to paint as good a picture as his record as a starter. It's terrible, and Nichols stepped in on the same team and lead it to a playoff berth.

But if you want specifics his decision making is awful. His game killing interceptions against Saskatchewan (both games) and in Calgary in 2015 demonstrate error prone judgement skills. He panics, doesn't know how to make quick reads, and forces balls. Hell, not just forcing balls.. he throws into danger because he likely doesn't even see the danger.

You can teach a lot to a QB. You can teach a better throwing technique, you can teach him how to slide and be safe. You can teach a QB how to read certain defences but in the end decision making under fire and football IQ are either there or they aren't. Drew lacks QB IQ and because he does he finds himself without a position in the CFL and being released by maybe the worst team in the CFL.

If we've kept Richards around for what's going on his third season & has one catch to show for it then why not try to develop Blazko? I'd be all for bringing the kid in & putting him on the PR. Then cutting Richards. He's had his time. Time to move on.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Must be passing around green koolaid at the TSN studios tonight. On the TSN preview show Dunigan figures the Riders are gonna win 10 games. Schultz then proceeds to mention how their o-line is bigger and stronger and cool calm Kevin Glenn is gonna have a huge season with their "best in the league" receiving corps with the magician Chris Jones mixing it up and keeping teams guessing. What are these guys smoking??!?

They spent about 30 seconds talking about the Bombers and it was the usual "cant duplicate the turnovers from last year" and "all depends on Matt Nichols".

2 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Must be passing around green koolaid at the TSN studios tonight. On the TSN preview show Dunigan figures the Riders are gonna win 10 games. Schultz then proceeds to mention how their o-line is bigger and stronger and cool calm Kevin Glenn is gonna have a huge season with their "best in the league" receiving corps with the magician Chris Jones mixing it up and keeping teams guessing. What are these guys smoking??!?

They spent about 30 seconds talking about the Bombers and it was the usual "cant duplicate the turnovers from last year" and "all depends on Matt Nichols".

Even Jones couldn't cheat enough to get the Riders 10 wins.....

20 hours ago, Noeller said:

I always get sorta "anxious" when I see so-called experts predicting things like the Bombers tanking and the Riders doing surprisingly well....even when it flies in the face of logic and common sense......so this thread is making me feel better, for sure...ha ha.

Did we over-achieve last year? Possible. Were the Riders better than their record indicated? Not too sure about that one.

10 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

That's funny cause at half time of the SSK vs BC preseason game. Schultz said the riders would miss the playoffs.

11 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

The whole thing was an exercise in jerking off the rider fan base. Not sure if they figure that Rider fans might not watch if they don't pump sunshine up the Riders asses or if they just want to avoid all the **** talking from that fan base if they do anything but praise the glory of the Riders, but either way I don't think they actually believe that, just trying to placate the Rider fans for what ever reason.