Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

2 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

What's your point?  A lot of people think when someone is cleared of charges they resume their career. I was commenting on the fans being giddy. I don't think anyone is giddy about this.

Just now, Gotmilt said:

I'd wager not

Damm. I was hoping we would.  I hope we can win 8 games and get things going in the right direction. Been a couple rough years. You guys had a good year. Bomber just need to keep it going and improvement will follow in the standings.

Just now, Ripper said:

Damm. I was hoping we would.  I hope we can win 8 games and get things going in the right direction. Been a couple rough years. You guys had a good year. Bomber just need to keep it going and improvement will follow in the standings.

Agreed, everyone is optimistic around this time. The difference here is we have had such a history of some pretty terrible teams and right now the Riders organization reeks of what we've gone through. Bombers are bringing back 18 of 24 starters and you rarely hear anything bad or newsworthy coming out of the Bombers offices- Which is rare in these parts.

Just now, Gotmilt said:

Agreed, everyone is optimistic around this time. The difference here is we have had such a history of some pretty terrible teams and right now the Riders organization reeks of what we've gone through. Bombers are bringing back 18 of 24 starters and you rarely hear anything bad or newsworthy coming out of the Bombers offices- Which is rare in these parts.

I like what I'm seeing from the Bombers these days. Things are heading in the right direction

Just now, Mike said:

If it makes you feel better, I like what I'm seeing from the Riders too. Things are heading in the right direction for Saskatchewan if you're a Bomber fan.  .

We are a little further away than you. If Nichols stays consistent, you will be in every game you play. He won't light the world on fire but he takes what's there and is smart with the ball

3 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Improvements mean little without consistent wins and that means QBing. If you screw up that file it can take years to recover no matter what you do in other areas. We have all seen it

You are seeing now,  in between Collaros's trips to the tub.   Do you think a time will come anytime soon to move on from him?

Edited by Ripper

17 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Injuries doesnt mean management screwing up. It is misfortune

Letting Durant go was a screw up? Its funny you like him now, you bashed him relentlessly when he played for us. Secondly our record this year will dictate whether it was a mistake or not. I know its fun laughing at the Riders for you, its in every post you make, but we are going to be a lot better this year on defense and that will show in our record.

Edited by Ripper

2 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Letting Durant go was a screw up? Its funny you like him now, you bashed him relentlessly when he played for us. Secondly our record this year will dictate whether it was a mistake or not. I know its fun laughing at the Riders for you, it in every post you make, but we are going to be a lot better this year on defense and that will show in our record.

Ripper, I like you. You come here and you take your lumps and you manage to be more than tolerable, which is waaaay more than I can say for most other Rider fans.

But I've seen this story before. Lots.

Letting go of Durant wasn't the mistake. Letting go of him this year was. If Jones was going to cast off Durant without a proper replacement, he should've done it right from the get go year one. This is going to be the second year wasted because of that decision.

Your defense might be great. I have my doubts, but one never really knows. That being said, I've seen a lot of great Bomber defenses on 6-12 or 7-11 teams because they didn't have a QB. And you don't have a QB.

3 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Letting Durant go was a screw up? Its funny you like him now, you bashed him relentlessly when he played for us. Secondly our record this year will dictate whether it was a mistake or not. I know its fun laughing at the Riders for you, it in every post you make, but we are going to be a lot better this year on defense and that will show in our record.

I think that his replacements are just pretty terrible.

Bennett should win this comp easy.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Ripper, I like you. You come here and you take your lumps and you manage to be more than tolerable, which is waaaay more than I can say for most other Rider fans.

Letting go of Durant wasn't the mistake. Letting go of him this year was. If Jones was going to cast off Durant without a proper replacement, he should've done it right from the get go year one. This is going to be the second year wasted because of that decision.

Your defense might be great. I have my doubts, but one never really knows. That being said, I've seen a lot of great Bomber defenses on 6-12 or 7-11 teams because they didn't have a QB. And you don't have a QB.

I think the knock on Durant in the last couple of years with the Riders was his brittleness and poor supporting cast. It seemed to me that during that same stretch, Durant got really beaten up, mentally and physically and lost a good deal of his competitive fire. It was probably time for him to move on, but I have my doubts that Glenn or Bennett are going to lead the team to the Promised Land. Glenn needs an extra count or two plus darned good receivers but if he gets hit, he gets rattled. Bennett- who knows?

I have my doubts  about the defence in Riderville..total turnover really with linebackers and the DB's really...not a lot of carry over from last year,and last year they were nothing to brag about. It's going to take time to come together with the new guys...but you never know

And this much talked about receipting core depth is a bit inflated. Let's see if the Roosevelt's and Holley's can continue with things now teams know them. Carter...sure he has the tools but no toolbox...and almost thinking not even a tool belt. He may just cause problems and issues and encourage behavior you don't want...Owens and Grant...like really?? 

And that O-line has some depth sure...but prospect depth at the most. Some of the returning vets are big question marks yet due to injury concern. Sure they are deemed healthy at moment, but I have seen first hand how healthy quickly becomes damaged goods..

Also Jones makes dumb decisions in games with gambles at poor times based on I think his ego and him thinking he smarter and better than others, and he will cost you I bet a game or two just on that alone. 

I see 6 wins there this year and that is if all pieces come together...and quickly

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

I agree 100% that DD should have been gone right away when Jones took over to not have this drag out, if that's what he wanted anyway.  Personally I would have kept DD one more year also. I never said our defense would be great, but it will be better. Oline will be better. Running game will be better. We will win more than 5 games, I'll stick with the 8 I predicted. You don't have to have Bo Levi Mitchell to win 8-10 games, good example is Nichols. Bombers won 11 games with a coach that was likely one more loss from getting fired(my opinion) at the time. Glenn is consistent in there and you know it, he also has a great group of receivers to throw too, arguably the best in the league (my opinion). I feel our record will be better than last year, even though many here are hoping it is not.