Cheveldayoff willing to move first round pick

http://www.tsn.ca/cheveldayoff-willing-to-move-jets-first-round-pick-1.765209

"In this situation here and moving forward, we’re open to anything and if the right situation’s there, we’ll look at it," Cheveldayoff told TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun. "We’ve drafted four players in the first round in the last two years, so we had [Logan] Stanley and Laine and [Kyle] Connor and [Jack] Roslovic. So if there is the right situation that can help us, whether it’s a piece or pieces, we’ll certainly look at it.”

"If there’s the right mix, then yes – certainly not ones outside of situations that stare you right in the face," Cheveldayoff said. "You’re not getting [Nikolaj] Ehlers, you’re not getting Laine, those type of players that are contributing and still very young on their entry-level deals."

"You want to make sure that the pipeline that you have of young players does keep coming," Cheveldayoff explained. "You don’t ever want that pipeline to run dry. You look at, for example, what Pittsburgh’s doing, what Chicago’s doing. You have to have it. But the other side of it is, that second side of it, is that you’ve got to get there. It is that balance and if you have the assets to use them, then you certainly can see if there’s a fit. But there truly has to be a fit."

I think management has done a solid job filling the cupboards. If the return is right for the team, this move would make sense.

It's nice to see him answer some questions for a change, too.

Edited by blue_gold_84

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

http://www.tsn.ca/cheveldayoff-willing-to-move-jets-first-round-pick-1.765209

I think management has done a solid job filling the cupboards. If the return is right for the team, this move would make sense.

It's nice to see him answer some questions for a change, too.

Were those answers???  Seemed like the same old non-answer to me.  I doubt the pick is moved.

35 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Were those answers???  Seemed like the same old non-answer to me.  I doubt the pick is moved.

Same old, same old Chevy-speak.  No one in their right mind can tell what this guy's going to do, and even once the season has started I'm sure we'll be in the dark about virtually all that almost happened. 

But it is the right time to make a move. Important year coming up?  Nah, too understated.  They need to push this "plan" of there's forward a few notches.

13th to _____________ for _______________________ (D)

13th & Roslovic (eg.) to _________________ for _______________ (better D)

Come on Chevy.....

Edited by Jimmy Pop
schneider

22 minutes ago, Mike said:

I honestly believe they could leave Myers unprotected and Vegas would not take him. His injury questions are real.

I doubt it.  That contract, that skill set....they'd take him.  Especially as it would mean protecting more forwards and thus their options would be Myers or maybe Dano.  Even if they dont value Myers, he is more valuable trading to someone else than Dano.

33 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Same old, same old Chevy-speak.  No one in their right mind can tell what this guy's going to do, and even once the season has started I'm sure we'll be in the dark about virtually all that almost happened. 

Does any GM even show his cards, though...? I don't understand why fans in Winnipeg get bent out of shape with how he operates. Why would a GM reveal his hand or allude to anything? What's to be gained?

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Does any GM even show his cards, though...? I don't understand why fans in Winnipeg get bent out of shape with how he operates. Why would a GM reveal his hand or allude to anything? What's to be gained?

Nothing, I don't mind it really... just didn't agree that he had done anything different in this case.  Same non answer as always.

25 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I doubt it.  That contract, that skill set....they'd take him.  Especially as it would mean protecting more forwards and thus their options would be Myers or maybe Dano.  Even if they dont value Myers, he is more valuable trading to someone else than Dano.

It's impossible to predict what Vegas will do.  They aren't just going to take the best player available from each team.  I suspect many picks will leave people scratching their heads but will make sense to Vegas on a holistic level.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

I honestly believe they could leave Myers unprotected and Vegas would not take him. His injury questions are real.

And perhaps his commitment to the game is in question as well. I think Meyers value is as low right now as it's ever been just because you don't know if the guy is actually going to play let alone how well he's going to play. 

15 hours ago, 17to85 said:

And perhaps his commitment to the game is in question as well. I think Meyers value is as low right now as it's ever been just because you don't know if the guy is actually going to play let alone how well he's going to play. 

Myers' commitment?  Why do you say that?  He was seriously injured this past season and his new-born nearly died.  I think he can be forgiven for not being focused 100% on hockey.  We'll see this season...

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Myers' commitment?  Why do you say that?  He was seriously injured this past season and his new-born nearly died.  I think he can be forgiven for not being focused 100% on hockey.  We'll see this season...

Uhh yeah that's exactly why, things like that put everything else in perspective and it's possible that he doesn't have the same drive for hockey. That's why it's a question mark, if a guys heart isn't in the game anymore no one can blame him but it also impacts the kind of player he is. 

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Uhh yeah that's exactly why, things like that put everything else in perspective and it's possible that he doesn't have the same drive for hockey. That's why it's a question mark, if a guys heart isn't in the game anymore no one can blame him but it also impacts the kind of player he is. 

I think its an unfair comment only because there is zero indication that his commitment is anything less than it was.  He's healthy, his child is doing well, they seem very happy.   If you believe in fate or whatever, the fact he was out injured when his family needed him would be something.

I like Myers.  And if available I believe Vegas would take him in a heartbeat.

Its funny.  When Buffalo was looking to trade him, every pundit talked about him as the prize catch.  Now he's with the Jets and we debate whether we want him.  Yes, he's been injured.  But he's a bonafide top 4 D man on a very good contract.  If I had to choose between Myers or Toby, its Myers every day of the week...ideally, we keep both.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I don't think heart is an issue with Myers. Injuries are bad enough to battle through, but the personal ordeal he faced surely compounded things and he obviously had to focus on his priorities. Can't say I blame him for that.

It seems like everything in his personal life has improved (and thankfully so), so the question mark remaining is his durability. There's no doubt the team is better when he's on the ice, though.

I don't think Vegas would take an injured still myers or Toby.  U expose 1 of them and protect as many forwards as possible. 1 3 7 is the way to go  

Dano or Matthias would be picked for sure. Bet on it for sure. They would take the forward for sure.. Dano makes sense to them.. an injured myers and an aging 1 yr left Toby they wouldn't. 

Edited by Goalie

Here's the thing, if Myers were healthy (or almost healthy), Vegas would scoop him up in a second.

If the Jets can't get Toby to waive his NMC, I would hate to expose Myers but you may not have a choice.

Since Vegas won't have access to Myers before the draft and certainly none of his medical records, maybe they would get nervous and not take him.

But, if I'm Vegas and Myers is on the list, I'm taking him and taking my chances.

Just now, JCon said:

Here's the thing, if Myers were healthy (or almost healthy), Vegas would scoop him up in a second.

If the Jets can't get Toby to waive his NMC, I would hate to expose Myers but you may not have a choice.

Since Vegas won't have access to Myers before the draft and certainly none of his medical records, maybe they would get nervous and not take him.

But, if I'm Vegas and Myers is on the list, I'm taking him and taking my chances.

Absolutely and thats a big loss to the Jets.  Unless the Jets look at their depth chart and see Buff-Truba-Myers as their RHD and feel Myers is too good and too expensive to be the 3RHD.  But still, you lose him for nothing.  If Jets are willing to lose him, then they should do what Chicago is doing and make a pre-draft deal with Vegas.  Although since the Jets arent in cap trouble and dont have any bad contracts I guess there isnt a reason to.

37 minutes ago, JCon said:

The other option is that you buyout Toby.

But then you lose a LHD (and still pay him) and you lose someone else like Dano.

Then you have an even bigger LHD problem.

https://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2017/06/01/karl-alzner-admits-that-hes-nervous-about-free-agency-i-might-have-to-go-to-a-new-team/

16 hours ago, Goalie said:

I don't think Vegas would take an injured still myers or Toby.  U expose 1 of them and protect as many forwards as possible. 1 3 7 is the way to go  

Dano or Matthias would be picked for sure. Bet on it for sure. They would take the forward for sure.. Dano makes sense to them.. an injured myers and an aging 1 yr left Toby they wouldn't. 

you sure tho?

:P