2017 NHL Off Season

Rich

Just now, JCon said:

The price is right for Tanev but, without a two-way deal, he'll be sitting lots and not developing.

Cant they waive him without losing him to begin the season?  He might be one of those guys paid a lot of money to play in the AHL but I'd suspect they see him as that 4th line option.  Lemieux to start in Manitoba.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Cant they waive him without losing him to begin the season?  He might be one of those guys paid a lot of money to play in the AHL but I'd suspect they see him as that 4th line option.  Lemieux to start in Manitoba.

That's a good point. But doesn't he have to clear waivers on his way back up? I'm not always clear on how that works with the beginning of the season stuff.

Oh, boy, Lemieux to start up, eh? I like the idea of that but I'm not sure he's ready. I suppose he'll have the chance in the preseason to earn a spot.

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

That's a good point. But doesn't he have to clear waivers on his way back up? I'm not always clear on how that works with the beginning of the season stuff.

Oh, boy, Lemieux to start up, eh? I like the idea of that but I'm not sure he's ready. I suppose he'll have the chance in the preseason to earn a spot.

I meant Lemieux to start with the Moose.  I guess we're all in Manitoba lol.  I think Lemieux is seen as a potential quality 4th line guy.  But if Tanev is getting NHL money, they might have him penciled in there.

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I meant Lemieux to start with the Moose.  I guess we're all in Manitoba lol.  I think Lemieux is seen as a potential quality 4th line guy.  But if Tanev is getting NHL money, they might have him penciled in there.

Sorry, I totally read that as with the Jets. Not sure how I did that.

17 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'm not sure if they can send Tanev down without waivers to start the season.  That would be news to me.

But re-entry waivers have been eliminated.  Players don't have to go through waivers on the way up anymore.

Just now, Atomic said:

I'm not sure if they can send Tanev down without waivers to start the season.  That would be news to me.

But re-entry waivers have been eliminated.  Players don't have to go through waivers on the way up anymore.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I dont know either.  Im basing this totally off the fact you can waive anyone you want to the Moose before a certain date in EA Sports NHL games. :P

AFIK, the "one way" or "two way" refers strictly to how player will be paid.  One way = flat salary player makes, regardless of where he plays.  Two way = AHL salary if in AHL, and NHL pay for NHL play. 

In Tanev's case, all we're doing is guaranteeing his pay. Where he plays matters not. 

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

AFIK, the "one way" or "two way" refers strictly to how player will be paid.  One way = flat salary player makes, regardless of where he plays.  Two way = AHL salary if in AHL, and NHL pay for NHL play. 

In Tanev's case, all we're doing is guaranteeing his pay. Where he plays matters not. 

That's correct.  Whether they have to pass through waivers or not is based on their "waiver-exempt" status which is determined by age and number of NHL games played.

After doing a little research, I can confirm that Tanev is no longer waiver-exempt and would have to pass through waivers to go to the Moose.

I also found this funny quote in the article I was reading:

A player's AHL salary determined whether a player was eligible for re-entry waivers, but with those a thing of the past, the type of contract has absolutely no bearing on the NHL waiver process, no matter how it works in EA Sport's NHL series of video games.

Edited by Atomic

Heads up Chevy...

The Carolina Hurricanes and defenceman Jaccob Slavin have agreed to a seven-year contract extension.

General manager Ron Francis on Wednesday said the deal begins in 2018-19 and will carry an average annual value of $5.3 million through the 2024-25 season.

Francis says the 23-year-old Slavin is "one of the cornerstones of our team" and "one of the top young defencemen in the NHL today."

In his second season in the NHL in 2016-17, Slavin had 34 points, three goals, 29 assists. He also led the team with 161 blocked shots, 83 takeaways and an average time on ice of about 23 1/2 minutes.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Heads up Chevy...

The Carolina Hurricanes and defenceman Jaccob Slavin have agreed to a seven-year contract extension.

General manager Ron Francis on Wednesday said the deal begins in 2018-19 and will carry an average annual value of $5.3 million through the 2024-25 season.

Francis says the 23-year-old Slavin is "one of the cornerstones of our team" and "one of the top young defencemen in the NHL today."

In his second season in the NHL in 2016-17, Slavin had 34 points, three goals, 29 assists. He also led the team with 161 blocked shots, 83 takeaways and an average time on ice of about 23 1/2 minutes.

All I gotta say is fu.....Francis 5.3 for a guy who has had one good year? And 7 year contract? When are these GM gonna learn? On a team that didn't make the playoffs.. ? Trouba is gonna ask for the moon now....

1 hour ago, bb1 said:

Lol thought it was pretty clear....but if you think that was a great contract for a 30 point defenseman.....insert sarcasm here...?

Hes one of the best defensive d men in the game... Just cuz you've never heard of him or watched him play... Doesnt mean he isnt. 

Give me 6 Slavins on the Jets over all 6 they currently have. Kids a stud. Legit. This deal is a huge steal for Carolina 

Points arent all that matters by the way. This guy is a legit shutdown d man.. Plays against the other teams best players and shuts them down. 

Edited by Goalie