2017 NHL Off Season

Rich

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

Hes one of the best defensive d men in the game... Just cuz you've never heard of him or watched him play... Doesnt mean he isnt. 

Give me 6 Slavins on the Jets over all 6 they currently have. Kids a stud. Legit. This deal is a huge steal for Carolina 

Points arent all that matters by the way. This guy is a legit shutdown d man.. Plays against the other teams best players and shuts them down. 

Yea well ya gotta prove it over more than a year to get a 7 year contract  ...and yea never heard of him don't see his name mentioned anywhere as one of the top shutdown defensemen in the league...and 30 points? Gotta have a little more offensive upside than that to be an elite all around defenseman...good reason y Francis is a GM in Carolina cause who there cares. Means Trouba gonna be looking for 6+ and I can't blame him when Gms are tossing money around.

1 hour ago, bb1 said:

Yea well ya gotta prove it over more than a year to get a 7 year contract  ...and yea never heard of him don't see his name mentioned anywhere as one of the top shutdown defensemen in the league...and 30 points? Gotta have a little more offensive upside than that to be an elite all around defenseman...good reason y Francis is a GM in Carolina cause who there cares. Means Trouba gonna be looking for 6+ and I can't blame him when Gms are tossing money around.

More like 8+

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

23 years old and he's their #1 defenceman.  5 mil will end up being a bargain.

Slavin is the exact kind of player you want to give big term & money to.

They drafted & developed him.  He's already playing a huge role there, his trajectory says he becomes an even more important piece moving forward. 

He's being paid $200,000 more than Dekeyser in Detroit, who's 3 years older and not as good.  One example, sure. Still, hell of a good contract for the Canes. 

Other teams have really been doing us favors in terms of their contracts for young comparables to Trouba.
Lindholm - 5.25
Slavin - 5.3
Klefbom - 4.3 (granted it was signed a couple years ago)

Makes it hard for a guy to ask for 9 mill when comparables make 60% of that.

Edited by Judd

7 minutes ago, Judd said:

Other teams have really been doing us favors in terms of their contracts for young comparables to Trouba.
Lindholm - 5.25
Slavin - 5.3

Even with the Winnipeg premium I can't see Trouba getting more than 6.5 M.  Of course that depends on how he plays this year.  He won't be extending before the end of his current deal, IMO.

17 minutes ago, Judd said:

Lindholm - 5.25
Slavin - 5.3

The problem with those contracts is they are not exact comparables (for sure with Lindholm and Slavin, didn't check Klefblom). Lindholm and Slavin signed those deals immediately after their ELC.  Trouba took a bridge contract for 2 years.  So if Trouba signs for similar term, you are going to have to pay for 2 extra UFA years, which will bring the overall AAV up.

Expect Trouba to get more.    And his contract negotiation will be anything but easy with the agent he has.

18 minutes ago, Judd said:

Lindholm - 5.25
Slavin - 5.3

And Maatta.

Can we agree that all those guys are fairly comparable though? Personally, I'd have Maata slightly below the others just because of the injury history.  But to me they're all pretty close in terms of value, performance, age etc.  It's like saying would you rather have Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers.  Who cares who you'd rather.... they're both elite and win. 

A Trouba extension this summer is fun to think about.  With Mason in the fold and Kulikov bolstering left side depth, would a long term deal for Trouba make this Chevy's best summer to date?  Given that's not exactly a high bar. :D

I guess that is the going rate for an NHL franchise as that is what Vegas paid.

True North paid a reported $170 Million for the Jets in 2011 (60 of that as a relocation fee to the NHL).    Over 7 years, that is a pretty darn good appreciation of an asset.

Karmanos reportedly paid $48 million for the Canes in 1994.  I wonder how much he has lost operating that team over that time period.