2017 NHL Off Season

Rich

7 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Which is too bad. There's a proper NHL-sized arena there, one the Aeros called home for a decade.

The Houston Aeros only existed from 1972 to 1978, so not a decade.  Their last three years - 1975 to 1978 - they played in an arena called "the Summit", which was converted into a church in 2003.  If you want to see what it looks like inside just tune into Joel Osteen's broadcast on Sundays.  The Aeros did win two Avco Cups in those years, thanks in large part to the Howe family.  They lost in 1976 in the finals to a certain team we know and love.

Houston does have an NHL size arena though, the Toyota Center, built in 2003, which is where the Rockets play.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

3 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

The Houston Aeros only existed from 1972 to 1978, so not a decade.  Their last three years - 1975 to 1978 - they played in an arena called "the Summit", which was converted into a church in 2003.  If you want to see what it looks like inside just tune into Joel Osteen's broadcast on Sundays.  The Aeros did win two Avco Cups in those years, thanks in large part to the Howe family.  They lost in 1976 in the finals to a certain team we know and love.

Houston does have an NHL size arena though, the Toyota Center, built in 2003, which is where the Rockets play.

Houston Aeros was also an AHL team from 1994 - 2013. 

They were the Wilds farm team and now in Des Moines, Iowa. 

20 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

oh really, they didn't come up when I googled Houston Aeros.  Now they do of course.  Anyway, why did they move?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Aeros_(1994–2013)

On April 18, 2013, the Minnesota Wild's ownership group, Minnesota Sports and Entertainment, were unable to reach a lease agreement with the Toyota Center, and announced the Aeros would be relocated to Des Moines, Iowa beginning with the 2013–14 season. After the move the team was renamed to Iowa Wild and currently reside in Des Moines, Iowa

11 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Wasn't at all referring to the WHA franchise...

The former IHL/AHL franchise that operated from 1994-2013 is the second link that comes up whenever you Google "Houston Aeros," BTW.

Anyway, with all the hubbub regarding the reported sale of the Hurricanes, here's a pretty scathing development regarding the franchise's ongoing attendance issues:

http://www.tsn.ca/report-hurricanes-attendance-down-32-per-cent-over-10-years-1.808287

According to the financial news website 24/7 Wall St., the Carolina Hurricanes have suffered the second largest attendance drop in major league sports over the past 10 years.

The outlet reviewed the 10-year average home attendance of franchises in the MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL to see which teams were losing the most fans.

The Hurricanes, who have reached the playoffs just once since winning the Stanley Cup in 2006, have seen their attendance dip 32.3 per cent from their roughly 17,000 average attendance 10 years ago to their average of 11,776 this year. The team's average fill capacity sat at 63 per cent this season - the worst among NHL teams.

Edited by blue_gold_84
link added

11 hours ago, Goalie said:

Meh.. Guys like Stoykewich Kramer Cormier... Interesting but wont be good. Juniors would be better and more olympic like. 

Is there an age restriction?  I don't see why we couldn't have the best juniors there still, along with the best of the AHL/KHL/European leagues.  80% of players in the World Juniors end up in those leagues anyways.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of this at all. The Olympics just won't be the same without the world's best hockey players.

well wouldn't they need to be better then NHL players or are the NHL players still not able to play in the Olympics?

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of this at all. The Olympics just won't be the same without the world's best hockey players.

But it will be the worlds best JUNIOR hockey players, just shifting the age and salaries down.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

But it will be the worlds best JUNIOR hockey players, just shifting the age and salaries down.

Will it?  Everything I've read suggests pro's from every league but NHL.  

I agree, I'd far rather junior age too.  But I also would guess that Canada's top Jr age players > Canada's top non-NHL pros.  I'm not sure that's the case for any other country. 

So, if every worthwhile hockey nation sends pros, can we and/or do we send juniors? 

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Will it?  Everything I've read suggests pro's from every league but NHL.  

I agree, I'd far rather junior age too.  But I also would guess that Canada's top Jr age players > Canada's top non-NHL pros.  I'm not sure that's the case for any other country. 

So, if every worthwhile hockey nation sends pros, can we and/or do we send juniors? 

I'd have a hard time believing that the best Canadian players in the AHL and elsewhere would lose to the Canadian World Junior team.