2017 NHL Off Season

Rich

Nice deal for him for the team, IMO. See how this upcoming season goes and take it from there.

Hellebuyck posted a 26-19-4 record last season with a 2.89 goals against average and a .907 save percentage. Hellebuyck led all goaltenders under the age of 24 with 56 appearances last season and posted four shutouts. 

He played his best hockey within the Central Division, posting a 12-3-1 record with a .937 save percentage and a 2.09 goals against average.

The potential is there and he was lights out within the division.

The Buffalo Sabres have avoided arbitration with Robin Lehner, reaching a one-year contract with the goaltender.
Lehner posted a 23-26-8 record last season with a .920 save percentage and a 2.68 goals against average.
The 26-year-old was scheduled to go to arbitration with the Sabres on Thursday.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I presume this is the first & best guess for our 2018 Olympic team...

No that's the roster for the Sochi Open.  But yes, presumably some of those players would be the type that would be playing for Canada in the Olympics.

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

No that's the roster for the Sochi Open.  But yes, presumably some of those players would be the type that would be playing for Canada in the Olympics.

I'd never heard of this Sochi Open before & mistakenly assumed it was strictly a pre-Oly tournament. 

Tournament website just lists our entry as "the national team of Canada"

http://xn----8sbwaafbgebmvqgqj.xn--p1ai/388-sochi-hockey-open-2017-v-sochi.html

Jack Eichel is looking for an 8-year deal with the Sabres.  That's an interesting case.  He is only 20 so that is usually bridge deal territory.

His numbers have been good, but not groin-grabbingly good.  How do you balance the team wanting a reasonable deal, with the agent and player almost certainly wanting top-5 centre money on an 8 year deal?  Eichel will probably be a point-per-game guy but it's not guaranteed and he hasn't been that yet...

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

Jack Eichel is looking for an 8-year deal with the Sabres.  That's an interesting case.  He is only 20 so that is usually bridge deal territory.

His numbers have been good, but not groin-grabbingly good.  How do you balance the team wanting a reasonable deal, with the agent and player almost certainly wanting top-5 centre money on an 8 year deal?  Eichel will probably be a point-per-game guy but it's not guaranteed and he hasn't been that yet...

If I'm the Sabres, I'm only looking at a bridge deal unless his AAV is low. He's not McDavid.

Let him prove he deserves top 5 money.

54 minutes ago, JCon said:

If I'm the Sabres, I'm only looking at a bridge deal unless his AAV is low. He's not McDavid.

Let him prove he deserves top 5 money.

Well, I think the Sabres are looking at it like a Scheifele situation.  Where you sign a guy long-term before he has proven himself.  But that would be incumbent upon the Eichel camp accepting such a deal.  And I don't know why they would.

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Well, I think the Sabres are looking at it like a Scheifele situation.  Where you sign a guy long-term before he has proven himself.  But that would be incumbent upon the Eichel camp accepting such a deal.  And I don't know why they would.

Which is why a bridge makes sense for both sides.

25 minutes ago, JCon said:

Which is why a bridge makes sense for both sides.

Right which is why it's so strange to hear they are talking long-term.  Maybe it doesn't happen though.

12 minutes ago, Floyd said:

If Sabres can get Eichel for $6 mill for 8 seasons... take it in a heartbeat.

Totally.  But if the number was $8 mil would you do that?  Because I don't think Eichel would take 6.

17 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Right which is why it's so strange to hear they are talking long-term.  Maybe it doesn't happen though.

Totally.  But if the number was $8 mil would you do that?  Because I don't think Eichel would take 6.

Well they're probably stuck with $7.5 as a starting point since that's what Reilly is getting... 

So on another team - no I wouldn't offer that - on the Sabres...  I'd probably give him $8 for 8 - they're pretty sparse after Eichel

30 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Well they're probably stuck with $7.5 as a starting point since that's what Reilly is getting... 

So on another team - no I wouldn't offer that - on the Sabres...  I'd probably give him $8 for 8 - they're pretty sparse after Eichel

And this is really the only point that matters, tbh......the Sabres have next to nothing going on and they're trying to build themselves up, so they need to treat Eichel like the Great American Hope that he believes he is. He'll get paid for sure...but won't be anywhere near McJesus, as it shouldn't be...

oh right I forgot he was a senator I'll fix that (hey I watched that cup final too I just didn't have players names memorized) in fact I didn't even know who he was until I heard he was marrying Carrie Underwear er Underwood and then he got traded to Nashville

Edited by iHeart