2017 NHL Off Season

Rich

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Tsn doesnt pay them enough. Thats why they are going. 1290 basically means nothing to TSN. 

Yes and no.  Its one thing to blame TSN but if they were so poorly paid, they'd have left before.  Timing and opportunity are everything.  And we can strongly suspect the Vegas franchise is paying well and I'd imagine there are some sweet perks too.

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yup, will Vegas be successful?  I dont know.  But they wont have trouble hiring people.   I dont know what Gary's home in Winnipeg looked like, but I bet his one in Vegas is a lot nicer!  And he still has his cottage here.  What a life!

It's a given Gary's place in Vegas wont have a green lawn.

30 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I liked Hnidy. We been lucky with not only him but Engblom as commentators.

Anyone catch the 60 Minutes piece about non-Americans getting work visas. Americans could not do the same job as Gary & Shane?

That being said who would not go.

I liked Hindy too, but I did not like Engblom at all.

Good luck Shane.

http://www.tsn.ca/oilers-lock-up-draisaitl-to-eight-year-68m-deal-1.831750

Leon Draisaitl has a new deal.

The Edmonton Oilers announced a new eight-year, $68 million contract for the young centre on Wednesday.

In 191 regular season games, he has 50 goals and 87 assists.

Draisaitl also stood out in the playoffs, recording 16 points over 13 games last spring, including a hat trick in Game 6 of the Western Conference semifinal against Anaheim to keep the Oilers alive in the series. He became the second youngest Oiler to record a hat trick in the playoffs, trailing only Wayne Gretzky. He averaged 1.23 points per game in the playoffs.

The No. 3 overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft is coming off the final year of a three-year, $10.2 million entry-level contract.

His $8.85 million cap hit will be joint-10th highest in the NHL this upcoming season, tied with Steven Stamkos of the Tampa Bay Lightning and the New York Rangers' Henrik Lundqvist, according to Cap Friendly.

Took a bit of a haircut, all things considered. Going to be a hell of a player, but with 2 guys eating 21mm in cap space (the same hit as Kane/Toews - 10.5mm/each) it'll be tough for Chiarelli to field a competitive team around them. Have to find a bunch of value contracts that can perform at a high level....a lot of which will have to be stand out draft picks. Gonna be relying heavily on ELCs...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Took a bit of a haircut, all things considered. Going to be a hell of a player, but with 2 guys eating 21mm in cap space (the same hit as Kane/Toews - 10.5mm/each) it'll be tough for Chiarelli to field a competitive team around them. Have to find a bunch of value contracts that can perform at a high level....a lot of which will have to be stand out draft picks. Gonna be relying heavily on ELCs...

Strictly a hypothetical... but who'd ya rather....

McJesus / Draisaitl at $21M/year

or

Scheifs / Laine at $16M/year*      

We all know who the best of the 4 is, and in these things usually you take whatever side has the best player.... but I don't know.  Jets have a pretty decent chance at getting Laine AND Ehlers locked up along with Scheifele for about the same as Edm's duo. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It's totally fair, and I'm not judging, but I don't think Jets fans realize how good Draisitl is.....this is a Crosby/Malkin situation, except McJesus is better than Crosby...

It's totally fair, and I'm not judging, but I don't think Oilers fans realize how good Scheifele is.

McDavid is better offensively than Crosby b/c young superstars are all about the stats. Crosby's still the best all-around player, but his reign is probably coming to an end in the next few seasons.