2017 NHL Off Season

Rich

I'd expect Buffalo to get a long-term deal done with Eichel, at least that's the smart play.  

This is the NHL. You don't drag your feet with young star, potentially superstar talents, that you've drafted yourself.  

The dude's 20 and is a PPG guy already.  

You sign a bridge, what benefit do you expect?  Couple extra $M each season in cap?   The safety net in case he suddenly falls off the map?   Not worth ticking off your franchise guy, IMHO.  

40 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I'd expect Buffalo to get a long-term deal done with Eichel, at least that's the smart play.  

This is the NHL. You don't drag your feet with young star, potentially superstar talents, that you've drafted yourself.  

The dude's 20 and is a PPG guy already.  

You sign a bridge, what benefit do you expect?  Couple extra $M each season in cap?   The safety net in case he suddenly falls off the map?   Not worth ticking off your franchise guy, IMHO.  

There's no point paying him $10M a season for 2018/19 either. If he'll do a deal where he gets $6M to $7M for his RFA years and $10M for his UFA years, you're probably going to sign that.

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

There's no point paying him $10M a season for 2018/19 either. If he'll do a deal where he gets $6M to $7M for his RFA years and $10M for his UFA years, you're probably going to sign that.

That's what I'm thinking.

Year 1: 7.0
2: 7.5
3: 7.5
4: 8.5
5: 8.5
6: 9.0
7: 10.0
8: 10.0

8 years, $68M for an $8.5M AAV.  Seems somewhat reasonable.  Only possible downfall is if he becomes a band-aid, locker-room cancer or a cokehead.  The skill is definitely there.

14 hours ago, Brandon said:

Good guy,  I'm glad we have players like him playing for the Jets.

I think Chevy (like O'shea) both value guys who are good "team" guys and good "community" guys more then others.. when I see the roster stocked with the Perraults, Schief (before we evolved into the player he is now...) stewie, little and Wheels... these guys value that team mentality and fighting for each other and they often have a very good sense of community..

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

That's correct, he did both.  He was head coach when the Sens went to the Cup final in '07.

hey I did see the GM part but I was in a rush and was a little frustrated because the link didn't look normal (compared to how most links are listed)

Quite a few Winnipeg connections to the Vegas organization now.  As they say, getting a job is more often about who you know not what you know.

And as you alluded to earlier, Gary seems to be doing quite well down there as illustrated with his tweet:

If you don’t like the Manitoba winters, Vegas isn’t a bad place to be.  I like Hnidy as a broadcaster, brought an interesting perspective as an ex-player.  Wish him well in Vegas.

was never a Hnidy fan, but do enjoy how much Manitoba connection there is to Vegas. They are absolutely going to be one of my favourite teams going forward. Jets, Oilers, Leafs, Hawks, and now we can add Vegas....will be fun to follow!