2017 NHL Off Season

Rich

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

8.5 is a discount? Nope. 6.125 for a player better than Draisaitl is. 

implying that Schiefele is better than Draisaitl? Going to have to show your work on this one cause in Draisaitls draft +2 season he had 51 points in 72 games, Scheifele at that same point only spent 4 games in the  NHL, then in their draft +3 seasons Draisaitl had 77 points in 82 games, draft +3 Scheifele finally became an NHL regular and had 34 points in 63 games. 

That right there is the reason Draisaitl got paid what he did where as Scheifele is now on a cheap contract. When you wait until well after you are drafted to break out you don't have to get paid as much as players who break out in their 2nd year and then build upon that further in their 3rd season. Not to mention Draisaitl was arguably the best Oiler in the playoffs he's shown that thus far he's a big money player. 

8.5 per year isn't a discount, but it's what guys like that get paid. Jets were lucky that they signed Scheifele to a long deal before he really broke out simple as that. See if he maintains that. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Sure, if you give RNH two years to do what Scheifele does in one. 

if you only look at one, maybe 2 seasons, but then again over that time RNH has been playing harder minutes in more defensive situations... I think you are all immediately discounting RNH too much because of the good year Scheifele is coming off of. 

Let's revisit things if RNH gets to play on the top line with McDavid next season instead of having to be the teams defacto defensive centre. 

Please dear lord tell me noeller is not saying RNH is as good as Scheifele. Also please tell me he is not saying Draisaitl is as good as Malkin. That is some crazy Rider fan bullshit right there. RNH couldnt hold Scheifele's jock strap. Draisaitl had 1 good year playing a lot with Mcdavid. 8.5 per is a lot of cheddar for 1 good year. Ill take Scheifele's contract over that all day and twice on sundays.

Scheif is over a point per game player playing without McDavid... Hes also our number 1 center.. What is Draisaitl? Hes not a number 1 cuz Mcdavid is... Hes a number 2 but hes a number 2 who when asked to be a number 1 struggles. I get we got a couple oiler homers here but... You gotta be pretty ignorant to think Drai is as good as Scheif. Its not close. 

And here i thought leaf fans were the most unbearable. 

http://www.tsn.ca/tavares-in-no-rush-to-re-sign-1.832364

“For me, there’s really no rush,” Tavares told Arthur Staple of Newsday on Wednesday morning. “I’m trying to determine things, let the process run its course, keep the lines of communication open, keep it all internal and it’s been good so far . . . In terms of signing a new contract, there’s a lot that goes into it. To really dive into all the details, get into all the conversations I’ve had with Garth (Snow), the team and Doug (Weight), I don’t think it’s productive to the situation and the negotiating. I prefer to keep it all internal, that’s the best way to keep it all open, honest and healthy.”

The 26-year-old has stated his desire to remain with the Islanders throughout the summer and reiterated that again Wednesday. He did admit, however, that he's waiting to see how a proposal from the Islanders to build an arena at Belmont Park plays out. The ice at the Barclays Center has been a problem since the team moved in two years ago and one teammate argued it caused Tavares' season-ending knee injury in March.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Tavares go to free agency.   Islanders have been poorly managed over the years.  The question is how many teams would be able to offer him $10M in free agency.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

http://www.tsn.ca/tavares-in-no-rush-to-re-sign-1.832364

Wouldn't be surprised to see Tavares go to free agency.   Islanders have been poorly managed over the years.  The question is how many teams would be able to offer him $10M in free agency.

I think it comes down to the arena proposal. They win it and he stays... They dont... Hes gone. Where? No idea but Detroit Columbus and maybe Carolina would be options. Forget the leafs tho... They dont need centers

2 hours ago, iHeart said:

either that or Mase is his nickname

Pretty obvious. This is a league where they have the most obvious nicknames 

Wheeler is Wheels.  

Scheifele is Scheifs 

I mean common sense here people. 

I mean have people never heard of him? Hes been around a while... 

All things considered tho... Him and Helle have pretty similar career numbers.. Is he our number 1? Sure. Will he be all season? Thats not guaranteed

Edited by Goalie

13 hours ago, Goalie said:

Scheif is over a point per game player playing without McDavid... Hes also our number 1 center.. What is Draisaitl? Hes not a number 1 cuz Mcdavid is... Hes a number 2 but hes a number 2 who when asked to be a number 1 struggles. I get we got a couple oiler homers here but... You gotta be pretty ignorant to think Drai is as good as Scheif. Its not close. 

And here i thought leaf fans were the most unbearable. 

Arguably the best Draisaitl has ever played was his 2nd season in Edmonton when McDavid was out with his broken collar bone. He was dominant and putting up a ton of points. Then McDavid came back and things slowed down. 

He was great in the playoffs without McDavid too so I don't know where you get Draisaitl stuggles without McDavid. Is it because he didn't rip it up playing 3rd line centre to start the year with Benoit Pouliot and I don't even know who was the RW at the time. Draisaitl did as much for McDavid as the other way around so I wouldn't penalize the guy just because he played well with McDavid, the only other guy who really did that was Patrick Maroon. Lucic and Eberle failed spectacularly to play with McDavid.

plus you are ignoring the other part of the arguement, that at the same age Scheifele wasn't even an NHL regular let alone a #1 centre. Not like he was playing with scrubs this season either. 

Maybe when the Jets win a playoff game you Jets fans can talk as much **** about how great your players are. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Arguably the best Draisaitl has ever played was his 2nd season in Edmonton when McDavid was out with his broken collar bone. He was dominant and putting up a ton of points. Then McDavid came back and things slowed down. 

He was great in the playoffs without McDavid too so I don't know where you get Draisaitl stuggles without McDavid. Is it because he didn't rip it up playing 3rd line centre to start the year with Benoit Pouliot and I don't even know who was the RW at the time. Draisaitl did as much for McDavid as the other way around so I wouldn't penalize the guy just because he played well with McDavid, the only other guy who really did that was Patrick Maroon. Lucic and Eberle failed spectacularly to play with McDavid.

plus you are ignoring the other part of the arguement, that at the same age Scheifele wasn't even an NHL regular let alone a #1 centre. Not like he was playing with scrubs this season either. 

Maybe when the Jets win a playoff game you Jets fans can talk as much **** about how great your players are. 

Slow down cowboy, check the name of the forum. This started when a Rider Oiler fan claimed Scheifele and RNH were equals right now.  Can’t expect our team’s fans to sit idly and listen to crazy, we don’t do it on the other side of this place.

Scheifele's been twice the offensive player RNH has 2 seasons in a row, not to mention being top 5 in PPG…in. The. League.   You can claim RNH is Patrice Bergeron all you want, I don't see how defense, intangibles, whatever, in Nuge's favour can make up for that much production.  Career-wise, RNH has never come close to matching 55's last season....and don't tell me there hasn't been years when offence was his #1 priority for EDM, nor has he had a lack of star power around him.  Oh, and for how defensive he is, interesting he had 40 more shorts that Scheifele last season.

Perhaps there’s a tad of undervaluing the Nuge going on here, I’d grant you.  But I think you’re massively underselling the 18 months Scheifele’s coming off of. Let’s see how this season plays out, for each & their teams. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

The argument isn't who was better at the same age.  The argument is who is better right now.  And the answer is Scheifele.

Just now, Goalie said:

So the oilers suck for years... Get multiple 1st overall picks .. Get a generational player.. Have 1 good year and now oiler fans are talking ****? 

Wow. Leafs 2.0 

Oilers fans are the Riders fans of the NHL... completely ignorant of anything in the league that doesn't involve their team

45 minutes ago, Atomic said:

The argument isn't who was better at the same age.  The argument is who is better right now.  And the answer is Scheifele.

I disagree and if you think that what was it? 5 points difference is all that matters then I just don't know... that's the regular season mind you, Draisaitls playoff performance should be another check in his favour. At worst the players are equal.