2017 NHL Off Season

Rich

41 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Little needs to have a good year if he wants a good contract.

Surprised some peeps not get the Cormier joke.

We have nobody to replace little. He hopefully signs long term soon.

The cormier joke has been beaten to death. 

8 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Cormier is a good veteran leader for the moose. That's it 

roslo is the answer. Hopefully. But I think little re-ups for another 2-3 years to make sure we get there. 

Yes.  Ideally Roslovic can be the guy.  He's not there yet but maybe within the next 2 or 3 years like you say.

I think asking Little to take a 2 or 3 year contract is a bit of wishful thinking.  He'll be wanting 5 years x 6 million.  Not sure we can swing that, though.

11 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Lost in all this... Trouba. Staying or going? Cuz if staying.. Probably hard to sign little at 6. If not? Not as hard. 

Yeah that's true.  I believe he will be gone at some point but whether that is this season or if they sign him long-term and then trade him, like Kane... I don't know.  We'll see.

I honestly cant see Little getting $6 million.  That would be almost the same as Scheif and more than Little.  I'd look more to Perreault who earns $4.1 and is a similar age.  Little is better than Perreault and plays higher up, generally.  So we can say Little deserves more.  The issue is, if Little wants a contract that takes him to 36 years old, Im not sure I see that.

Jets have $33 million projected space after this season with Ehlers, Little, Trouba being the big ticket items.  So its doable.  They have to account for Laine the following year too.  But then they have Mason, Myers & Wheeler coming off.  So I dont know that the Jets can fit everyone under the cap but they have set themselves up pretty well to be in a position to make the decisions they want to make rather then having those decisions forced upon them.

12 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I honestly cant see Little getting $6 million.  That would be almost the same as Scheif and more than Little.  I'd look more to Perreault who earns $4.1 and is a similar age.  Little is better than Perreault and plays higher up, generally.  So we can say Little deserves more.  The issue is, if Little wants a contract that takes him to 36 years old, Im not sure I see that.

Jets have $33 million projected space after this season with Ehlers, Little, Trouba being the big ticket items.  So its doable.  They have to account for Laine the following year too.  But then they have Mason, Myers & Wheeler coming off.  So I dont know that the Jets can fit everyone under the cap but they have set themselves up pretty well to be in a position to make the decisions they want to make rather then having those decisions forced upon them.

You can't compare Little to Scheiffele as Scheiffele's contract is mostly RFA years.   It just isn't an apples to apples comparison.  Having said that I think $6 Million is the top of the range of what he would get.   I'm not sure on term though.  The question is really what can Little get on the open market and how close to that can the Jets offer.  

Just now, Rich said:

You can't compare Little to Scheiffele as Scheiffele's contract is mostly RFA years.   It just isn't an apples to apples comparison.

The question is really what can Little get on the open market and how close to that can the Jets offer.   He is definitely worth more then Perreault.  I think he easily gets $5 - $6 million in free agency.  Term is the real question.

The trend seems to be moving away from paying those big deals for a guy ending past his mid 30s.  If its a 3 year deal, then over pay.  But if he wants 5-6 years, I dont see it being $6. Then again, Radulov did, so who knows. 

I do think the Jets can afford it.  They have a pretty good salary structure moving forward.  Assuming the cap rises a bit every year, they should be able to afford Little. 

39 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Make the playoffs and guys like Little and Wheeler get paid and they keep the team together, keep missing  and these guys need to go and that includes Buff and Enstrom.

This.

I'm a fan of all players you mentioned, but you're bang on..... if this season doesn't go to plan, it's Maurice gone first, then the fire-sale of vets.

I hope that doesn't happen and I don't think it will.  But that's where we're at.  Enough pissing away years contending in the name of drafting & developing.   

17 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Our best players tho outside of wheeler who is getting better with age are our drafted and developed players..

Scheif Ehlers Laine Trouba Morrissey even Lowry and soon Connor will be in that group and probably Roslovic also

Which is great, but we need to start winning now because you can't keep everyone forever.  "Draft & develop" starts to lose its appeal when you see former high picks walking out the door.  It hasn't happened yet but it is inevitable.  At some point you have to say "This is the core" and say you're ready to win.  I think we're there now, with the players you mentioned.  We've been building for the future, but the future is now, and the window closes quickly.

19 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Our best players tho outside of wheeler who is getting better with age are our drafted and developed players..

Scheif Ehlers Laine Trouba Morrissey even Lowry and soon Connor will be in that group and probably Roslovic also

If they gave up on draft & develop it wouldnt be to trade the veterans away.  I agree.  And they wont give up.  If anything, they'd trade some youth for help right now.  I get the impression Chipman is getting impatient.  Maybe not impatient, but if they struggle this season he is going to be asking why. 

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If they gave up on draft & develop it wouldnt be to trade the veterans away.  I agree.  And they wont give up.  If anything, they'd trade some youth for help right now.  I get the impression Chipman is getting impatient.  Maybe not impatient, but if they struggle this season he is going to be asking why. 

Maurice is on the chopping block for sure. No excuses this year. Got a proven NHL goalie.. Got no goons . got no scrubs maurice can play... The D on paper looks incredible.. Its Maurices time to **** or get off the pot. First 20 games will be interesting because if they start slow... Maurice is done. 

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think you'd have to be a pretty dumb organization to abandon the build thru the draft philosophy - but no one's suggesting that.

What they need to do be more aggressive in rounding out the roster, making quicker decisions on struggling players and/or coaches and systems.  Essentially, act like a team that expects to make the playoffs every year.  The 2017/18 season for us shouldn't just be "yaaay we're in the NHL!!" - like it has since 2011.

6 years is enough time to build your core young group, establish you're draft and roster building strategies.  It's everything besides that they fall short on to date.

I dont think it has been that way at all. I agree they need to make quicker decisions on coaching tho as i feel that is probably holding them back the most right now. They did make the playoffs one year... Got swept.. Realized the current group couldnt get it done and have gradually turned the team over to the youngsters... 

I mean.. Is 6 years enough tho? Scheif didnt establish himself until maybe a year and half ago.. He was our first ever pick... Ehlers going in to his 3rd year.. Laine his second... Connor his 2nd pro year... Morrissey spent a couple years with the moose.. Trouba came in to his own last season... I mean its not like we have a McDavid or Crosby who can instantly turn a team around.. It takes time... But .. The biggest thing it takes is Coaching. Coaching is huge in hockey... Huge. Ours hasnt been so good. 

I wasn't overly disappointed or surprised with missing the playoffs last season, though I think Edm and Tor making it in did create some extra bellyaching from our fanbase.  Not sure whether that's fair or not.

This season, entirely different story. 

Re: coaching - I think it's a hard sell for anyone to suggest coaching hasn't held us back.  I mean sure we've been rife with holes in our lineup, but of bigger concern is the same things we were bad at last year, were bad the year before.  Recurring problems.  

Huge year for Maurice.  I still think back to his comments when he was introduced after Noel was canned; something to the effect of, "this team's going places...might not get there under me, but they'll get there..."   Very telling. 

Hope Maurice makes good with what management has given him and that the Jets make the playoffs and maybe even win a round but if this team has a losing record and out of a playoff spot by US thanksgiving then they have to look for another coach like many have said we can't continue to finish and draft middle of the pack.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Management has given him the roster to succeed. Now's the time to show he can coach this team successfully.

If the Jets are below the playoff line by the time US Thanksgiving comes around, Maurice is done. Or he damn well should be.

If mgmt has that little faith left in a coach, they should have fired him before the season even started. Barring something disastrous, I can't imagine Maurice getting fired that early.

4 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

If mgmt has that little faith left in a coach, they should have fired him before the season even started. Barring something disastrous, I can't imagine Maurice getting fired that early.

That's just it: I don't think management has lost faith in him. US Thanksgiving usually sets the tone for how a team's season will go and if the Jets find themselves on the outside looking in at that point, I don't see much reason in keeping around a head coach who can't extract consistent success from what looks to be pretty solid roster on paper.

13 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

It's not really that early.  The playoff teams are usually about 80-90% settled by then, if you go back and look at the last decade or so.  If you're not in by US thanksgiving, it's pretty unlikely you're going to get there.

this is all going to be a moo point if the Jets are mostly healthy this year. Losing Little for a big chunk of last year really hurt them more than people realize. If they have their main bodies healthy for most of the year, and if Mason is at least serviceable (or, better yet, Helle finds his form again...) then this is a playoff roster, Maurice or not...

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

this is all going to be a moo point if the Jets are mostly healthy this year. Losing Little for a big chunk of last year really hurt them more than people realize. If they have their main bodies healthy for most of the year, and if Mason is at least serviceable (or, better yet, Helle finds his form again...) then this is a playoff roster, Maurice or not...

tumblr_m63jh6Qme01r82bbmo1_500.gif