Prognosticator Time for us Gurus

BigBlue

Top & Bottom in the West & East  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the top two teams in the west this year?

• Winnipeg & Calgary
    • BC & Calgary
    • Edmonton & Calgary
    • Winnipeg & BC
    • Winnipeg & Edmonton
    • Edmonton & BC
    • Other: please specify
  2. 2. Who will be the bottom two teams this year in the west?

• Regina & Edmonton
    • Regina & BC
    • Regina & Winnipeg
    • Edmonton & BC
    • Other: please specify
  3. 3. Who will be the top two teams in the east this year?

• Ottawa & Hamilton
    • Ottawa & Toronto
    • Ottawa & Montreal
    • Hamilton & Toronto
    • Hamilton & Montreal
    • Montreal & Toronto
  4. 4. Who will be the bottom two teams in the east this year?

• Montreal & Toronto
    • Hamilton & Montreal
    • Hamilton & Toronto
    • Ottawa & Montreal
    • Ottawa & Toronto
    • Ottawa & Hamilton

39 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

Calgary 13-5

Winnipeg 12-6

BC 11-7 

Edmonton 6-12

Sask 2-16

&

Hamilton 11-7

Ottawa 10-8

Toronto 7-11

Montreal 4-14

I think it will be a huge stretch for the Riders to win 2 games. Man I love this thread :lol:, gotta go get a Snickers bar soon ... :P

Edited by IC Khari

I think TBurg's predictions are pretty solid, based on what we know now.  My guess, based on nothing more than what I saw last year, aging everyone a year and accounting for offseason moves is:

Disclaimer:  I always consider coach + QB first and foremost, then Canadian content second. 

East:

Hamilton - If QB stays healthy for any extended period during season, they should be the class of a weak division.

Ottawa - Solid team with a promising young QB.  NI's under-rated.

Toronto - finish out of playoffs with some promising moments.

Montreal - DD is not enough.  Something is still wrong with this organization.

West:

Calgary - likely slip a bit in total wins, but they come through in the 4th quarter and will pile up enough wins to take top spot in a tough, tough division

BC - Love their young QB, along with an exceptional receiver group.  Oh and they have Wally.

Winnipeg - Solid team.  Not enough starter level Canadians.  Need to improve secondary, so they don't have to play that style of defense and can dictate to offenses. 

Edmonton - Love their QB.  The rest of their team is so-so.  But MR will pull enough games out to keep this interesting.

Saskatchewan - I really try hard not to ever actively root against anyone and remain as objective as possible, but Jones is making that increasingly difficult.  Still, he will have them ready and they will surprise people throughout the season. 

Don't get me wrong, I think the race in the west is going to be tighter than we have seen it many years.  It might be like the year that all three teams in the western playoffs finished 10-6 and the Bombers had to travel to BC - Grady Caveness tipped the Brock pass just out of reach of Mike Holmes to seal the win.  Maybe this time it will be TJ Heath getting a pick 6 off Jennings in the final moments in IGF.

I know this looks too much like last year's final standings, which means that it definitely won't happen.  There will be surprises on both ends of the spectrum.  But that is my best guess right now.   

21 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

It's still Hall's defence after all. I expect the DL to look much the same as last year.

We got rid of the 2 high priced FA's we brought in to fix the DL last year and replaced them with 2 high priced FA's to fix the DL this year. Cummings and Nevis are a wash IMO. Both had good stats coming to the Bombers. Okpalaugo's a definite upgrade. Shologan's being replaced with a draft pick from this year and one from last. I expect that to be a downgrade especially at the beginning of the year.

I agree about Calgary and BC and about our special teams, but we had one of the worst defenses in the league last year, except for the turnovers

Nevins and Cummings are not a wash.. okaplago will make it impossible to not have a double on him as well at times imo so this will make it easier for the interior to shine or vice versa with Nevis.  Shlogan was garbage last season for whatever reason and his position will be improved by Faith/Thomas platooning.    Really not sure where you deduced your assessments from but.. wow.

Edited by SPuDS

12 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Nevins and Cummings are not a wash.. okaplago will make it impossible to not have a double on him as well at times imo so this will make it easier for the interior to shine or vice versa with Nevis.  Shlogan was garbage last season for whatever reason and his position will be improved by Faith/Thomas platooning.    Really not sure where you deduced your assessments from but.. wow.

Well, at the very least, they shouldn't be able to double Busterman all the time....

15 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Nevins and Cummings are not a wash.. Shlogan was garbage last season for whatever reason and his position will be improved by Faith/Thomas platooning.    Really not sure where you deduced your assessments from but.. wow.

So the part where Tburg dismisses anything good the Bombers do and spins it into neutral or bad still catches you off guard?  There's a reason my tramp stamp says "Tburg's gonna Tburg".

I gotta admit, I treat them like reading a murder-mystery and just skip right to the end.  How did he do it this time?

2 minutes ago, mbrg said:

So the part where Tburg dismisses anything good the Bombers do and spins it into neutral or bad still catches you off guard?  There's a reason my tramp stamp says "Tburg's gonna Tburg".

I gotta admit, I treat them like reading a murder-mystery and just skip right to the end.  How did he do it this time?

The mystery was, it wasn't a murder after all.  They guy just clawed his own eyes out. 

Cummings came to the Bombers off a season where he had 24 tackles, 8 sacks. Folks expected him to do the same as he did on Toronto's D, but on Halls D he got 16 tackles, 3 sacks. Nevis comes to the Bombers off a season where he had 29 tackles, 5 sacks. 5 more tackles, 3 less sacks than Cummings when he came to the Bombers. Most folks around here expect him do do about the same or better than he did last year on Hamilton's D. I'll believe it if I see it.

Shologan came to the Bombers off a season where he had 24 tackles, 7 sacks. On Halls D he got 22 tackles and 2 sacks. He's replaced by 2 guys with zero stats. (Thomas is still going to rotate)

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Cummings came to the Bombers off a season where he had 24 tackles, 8 sacks. Folks expected him to do the same as he did on Toronto's D, but on Halls D he got 16 tackles, 3 sacks. Nevis comes to the Bombers off a season where he had 29 tackles, 5 sacks. 5 more tackles, 3 less sacks than Cummings when he came to the Bombers. Most folks around here expect him do do about the same or better than he did last year on Hamilton's D. I'll believe it if I see it.

Shologan came to the Bombers off a season where he had 24 tackles, 7 sacks. On Halls D he got 22 tackles and 2 sacks. He's replaced by 2 guys with zero stats. (Thomas is still going to rotate)

Jamal westerman 17 sacks in 2015 in Halls D vs 8 sacks in 2016 in Halls D. Not sure what your point is other then Cummings and Shologan never lived up to expectations, doesnt mean our new guys are automatically in the same boat too

5 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Jamal westerman 17 sacks in 2015 in Halls D vs 8 sacks in 2016 in Halls D. Not sure what your point is other then Cummings and Shologan never lived up to expectations, doesnt mean our new guys are automatically in the same boat too

It does when everything the Bombers do is wrong and everything everyone else does is right. 

2 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Cummings and Shologan came in with big expectations last year. "Everyone" was talking about how they were going to fix our D line problems. O'Shea even got upset at a reporter who dared to ask if he expected them to do the same on the Bombers as they'd done before and he said of course we do.

They didn't live up to those expectations. Is that because 2 players suddenly got worse or because they were being used differently in their old defenses or maybe because they were playing different roles in Halls defense. Does it automatically mean that our new big name FA's are going to do the same? Nope. It doesn't mean that they will automatically live up to "everyone's" exceptions either.

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It does when everything the Bombers do is wrong and everything everyone else does is right. 

Don't be dim. Lots of teams made mistakes in the off season and I point out what I think the mistakes are no matter if they are made by the Bombers or someone else. BTW: I don't think that signing either Okpalaugo or Nevis are mistakes. I just don't see them as the big upgrade that you do.

how is Ogopogo not a momumental improvement on using rookies at the other DE spot? I mean I'll let Nevis and Cummings being a wash go but come on, that other DE spot is a major upgrade.

Now as far as Shologan goes, I never expected much out of him, I felt his season in Ottawa was playing over his head, I mean the Riders did leave him open to the expansion draft for a reason. 

Edited by 17to85

27 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

how is Ogopogo not a momumental improvement on using rookies at the other DE spot? I mean I'll let Nevis and Cummings being a wash go but come on, that other DE spot is a major upgrade.

Now as far as Shologan goes, I never expected much out of him, I felt his season in Ottawa was playing over his head, I mean the Riders did leave him open to the expansion draft for a reason. 

Like I said 24 hours ago: 

Cummings and Nevis are a wash IMO. Both had good stats coming to the Bombers. Okpalaugo's a definite upgrade.

56 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Like I said 24 hours ago: 

yeah but then you said 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

BTW: I don't think that signing either Okpalaugo or Nevis are mistakes. I just don't see them as the big upgrade that you do.

Bombers will surprise a few people this year. I think the last two home games both against the Lions will bring out the fans and as a consequence we will capture 2nd place. That will result in a home playoff game against the...Lions. We will be hating those bastards by that time. Not hating them as much as the greenies from saskabush, but it will be a damn good rivalry.

As for the green pond scum, with no legitimate starting qb, they will finish last again. Two wins at the very most. They should also finish last because their fans are bums and primates. Worst sports fans ever. I wanna puke just thinking of their fans. 

Last night it occurred to me, that I don't hate any sports team. The only two exceptions are: the Edmonton Oilers, hate em, and the slim ball sask football squad and that's only because of the ignorant stupid hillbilly fans. Saw one wearing a frickin green jersey at the Vatican. Complete bone heads with no respect. 

50 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Bombers will surprise a few people this year. I think the last two home games both against the Lions will bring out the fans and as a consequence we will capture 2nd place. That will result in a home playoff game against the...Lions. We will be hating those bastards by that time. Not hating them as much as the greenies from saskabush, but it will be a damn good rivalry.

As for the green pond scum, with no legitimate starting qb, they will finish last again. Two wins at the very most. They should also finish last because their fans are bums and primates. Worst sports fans ever. I wanna puke just thinking of their fans. 

Last night it occurred to me, that I don't hate any sports team. The only two exceptions are: the Edmonton Oilers, hate em, and the slim ball sask football squad and that's only because of the ignorant stupid hillbilly fans. Saw one wearing a frickin green jersey at the Vatican. Complete bone heads with no respect. 

Image result for your savagery knows no bounds

#bummyprimates